Disto Room Planner Video

dshall

I just watched the video of ROOM PLANNER working with a DISTO at this site.....  https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/2289-disto-e7100i-and-room-planner/#entry17792

This video was done so poorly with so little information on how he did it,  it was essentially useless for me.  I wish someone would do a decent video explaining and showing how the DISTO is used with ROOM PLANNER.  

I am open to learning new methods,  but I do not think there is a magic bullet to draw a set of  plans like this.  I believe  that even after taking the measurements with the DISTO,  there will be some editing back at the office.........  but that isn't bad,  I just wish the video was more informative.

Does anybody use the DISTO with ROOM PLANNER and would you do a decent  video on the machinations?

Simple example:  A 20'x40'  house with (4) rooms.  How does one get the TRUE FRAME TO FRAME overall dimensions of house and then make it coincide with the (4) room sizes that are within the house.  I just find it hard to believe that we would end up with INTERIOR WALLS that are exactly 4-1/2" thick  (2x4 studs with 1/2" drywall each side).

I do not mean to pooh pooh this system,  but I wish someone who might be a bit more discerning would do a video on the method.

This is also why I was asking about if/ when the room planner would be available for something other than an I-pad. The video shows something that has promise but I agree that not nearly enough info and it never really showed how it worked.

I just find it hard to believe that we would end up with INTERIOR WALLS that are exactly 4-1/2" thick  (2x4 studs with 1/2" drywall each side)

Scott:

now try an older house, sometimes one prior to 1900

there will discrepancies all over the place

hence my comments in a recent thread about dimensions and overrides

no need to debate that issue here...

just pointing out the "obvious"

Lew

I just watched the video of ROOM PLANNER working with a DISTO at this site.....  https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/2289-disto-e7100i-and-room-planner/#entry17792

This video was done so poorly with so little information on how he did it,  it was essentially useless for me...

My feelings exactly when I saw that video. Couldn't hear or understand to start then wondered what he might be doing to make the system work. Not to mention needing an IPad to use it.

Chief's introductory video is no better, continually alluding to the 'fun' and easy' time you will have when using the 'fun' and easy' free room planner.

I would much prefer an 'accurate' and 'professional' application that was modestly priced and spanned more than one platform and actually worked in the field.

I found the video to be interesting. I never expect technology to be "perfect" or "infallable", that notion is silly but anyone can see that it is easier to use a Disto type device over a measuring tape and one that directly inputs to an app like Room Planner would be time saving no matter the results.

I am also sure that additional mobile devices will be empowered over time. A start is a start and progress is progress as well as skepticism towards it.

DJP

I don't know anyone who expects technology to be perfect or infallible but I've tried many different approaches that simply do not work in the field in a real life setting. 

I personally do not 'see' how it would be easier to use a Disto over a measuring tape and I can easily imagine results that were worse than using a tape measure - way worse. That's the point, I think, of the original post. It's impossible to tell how useful the product might be from that video.

It might be wonderful  - it might suck. I'm personally not going to drop a few hundred on an IPad to find out and the video is not clear enough to educate IMO..

On the other hand I would LOVE to have a product that truly lived up to the hype - seems like a great, great idea but when I see 'fun and easy' I think lame and useless for the professional, unless I'm making an infomercial for Disto or CA.

I personally do not 'see' how it would be easier to use a Disto over a measuring tape and I can easily imagine results that were worse than using a tape measure - way worse

Larry:

Why way worse ???

I  have used a Disto since 2005 and can't imagine trying to do a house by myself with only a tape

I do use a tape for tiny distances but the Disto is such a breeze and so accurate

at 1/16" for 300' using Disto Plus - simpler models are 1/4" for 100'

sending those dims to a room planner app via Bluetooth is easy too

I did it back in 2005 with a Dell Axim

If I wasn't retired I would be planning to get an Android with the Room Planner app

I would not be considering an Apple - too PC focused to change

Lew

It has been mentioned before in another thread, "Redstick" SiteCAD on iPad or on Android is a good tool to document a measured house. The have three version levels. The more you pay the more advanced features you get. it works on a phone, but not recommended as it is too small. All measured drawings can be emailed to self as a DWG and imported to Chief. It has very good reviews as an app. It is more useful tool than room planner and easier to use. This one actually IS fun to use.

http://www.redstickcad.com/products.html

I personally do not 'see' how it would be easier to use a Disto over a measuring tape and I can easily imagine results that were worse than using a tape measure - way worse

Larry:

Why way worse ???

I  have used a Disto since 2005 and can't imagine trying to do a house by myself with only a tape

I do use a tape for tiny distances but the Disto is such a breeze and so accurate

at 1/16" for 300' using Disto Plus - simpler models are 1/4" for 100'

sending those dims to a room planner app via Bluetooth is easy too

I did it back in 2005 with a Dell Axim

If I wasn't retired I would be planning to get an Android with the Room Planner app

I would not be considering an Apple - too PC focused to change

Lew

Sorry for being so brief and cryptic, it is after all only a forum post, and remember I haven't used that App being talked about, but I too have used a laser measuring device (Bosch) for years along with a tape for measuring as-builts. What I meant was that I could imagine getting a job measured with a 'Disto' or whatever and having some thing, some measurement, being off or incorrect in such a way that the work would have to be re-done. Not the measurements made with the Disto but in the conversion/export/import process into an app. Again no experience but as you mentioned how do you get the walls the right thickness? Or what if a measurement gets mis-applied t the wrong wall? The more I write the more I see I need to really look into these apps and devices to see what might really work well in the field.

It has been mentioned before in another thread, "Redstick" SiteCAD on iPad or on Android is a good tool to document a measured house. The have three version levels. The more you pay the more advanced features you get. it works on a phone, but not recommended as it is too small. All measured drawings can be emailed to self as a DWG and imported to Chief. It has very good reviews as an app. It is more useful tool than room planner and easier to use. This one actually IS fun to use.

http://www.redstickcad.com/products.html

That looks pretty cool. Have you used it in the fieldTodd?

.......how do you get the walls the right thickness? Or what if a measurement gets mis-applied t the wrong wall? .....

I have watched a few vid on the usage and I think it might  work great for real estate agents.  I would not rule out using this yet,  but I like the idea of being able to refer to field notes with the actual dimensions I measured.  If i drew on site using the room planner,  are the dimensions there to refer to?  I know that when I go back to the office,  I always need to make allowances for what was measured as to what dimension I will use in plan......  an adjustment of an inch or two.

I love the disco I have,  I have a helper,  the disto is on a continuous measurement,  so my helper goes from room  to room yelling out dimensions to me.  Pretty quick.

What I have learned and what amazes me is if the angle of the disto` is off a degree or two,  there is a disparity in what the actual dimension is and what the disto reads....  by a couple of inches easily......  my fault for not being absolutely square.....  this leads to making minor dimensional adjustments as I build as built.

Disto is great,  just not sure if I could use it in conjunction with room planner yet.

I always need to make allowances for what was measured as to what dimension I will use in plan......  an adjustment of an inch or two

Scott:

Interesting....

In a prior thread about dimension overrides being needed

some of the senior chiefers indicated that all one needed to do was measure accurately etc

the implication being that some of just didn't know the proper way to measure a house

Lew

How the *ell do you guys hold all of that stuff, I don't want to use a table and move it from room to room. I'm only there for 1 hour at the most.

Having 'help' is a huge 'help' when measuring as-builts but I was thinking the same thing. I think your comment also gets back to Scott's original post about how the video doesn't really show how the product is used, real world, in the field on a real as-built measure.

I think I've seen neck harnesses that will hold a tablet but I think 3 or 4 hands is probably the best solution.

Most of the time I have a builder with me as I measure, but I really don't want their help, They can keep the homeowner busy so the HO don't follow me around, watching every move. They usually love all the gadgets I use, like the Disto and the Echo pen that records everything I say and write to my computer. I record every conversation. It has saved my builders, lawsuits. Just the other day a client said they wanted A/C included ( they live by the beach). Now the job is done, they want their A/C and threatened to go to court. I pulled out my audio file sent it to the builder--guess what- they said they didn't want A/C . I also tell each customer they are being recorded so I don't forget anything. They never have a problem with that.  Using the program all I have to do is put my curser on any line or note on the page to get the exact audio from when I drew that line or note, easy to find stuff.