Custom Material Generation with Substance Player

Chief_Content

On 12/9/2022 at 5:15 PM, BlissBunny said:

Hello! as tiles are going very large format, and you let me know the solution for not having huge grout lines when going up to 24x48? It wasn't clear how to do this. Thank you! 

Sure thing, the secret to get thinner grout lines is to increase the image resolution from 512x512 to something larger.  As you can see, the grout gets smaller and smaller as I increase the resolution on the image.

512Grout.thumb.jpg.8fe848f2af905d61c70222ecd0982a1f.jpg

1024Grout.thumb.jpg.53c05c50ae3501878e7f32f2026e0b5f.jpg

2048Grout.thumb.jpg.a5ef4fd488bd9787efd750ade534d952.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Morning Jeff, I'll make sure Douglas Fir is on the todo list but until then, you can get your 1.5" cuts with the builder by adjusting your scale in Chief.  Since it's just an image getting spat out of the builders, there's no real way for me to control the size you make your boards so to get your 1.5" cut glulam...

-Make your wood pattern using the 1" strip the color and species you want, I'd bump it to 1024x1024 as well.

-Just export the "Base Color" image since we won't need any maps since we want the glulam to look like it's been sanded smooth.

-Make a material with your image in Chief and count the number of boards in the image (it's 36 for the 1" strip) and set your scale in chief to be the number of boards * 1.5" (36*1.5= 54")

-Rotate Material if necessary...

1049233308_GlulamExample.thumb.png.7167ba1df53c83a212611d1c07f670ae.png

Hit me up if you run into any snags.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

It would be nice for all of use to create a thread to share any tile, wood, etc.. materials we've made in SP.  I'm sure a lot of users could use and benefit from those materials and it only takes a few seconds to export and upload here. Absolutely some will be better than others but that with anything in life.  I will create a new thread now in the Symbols forum titled Shared Substance Player Materials.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I am definitely not one to ask for help w/o researching myself to death... and I can honestly say at first it said no file available, even when trying to click on it, went to a blank screen and said no longer available... ovey!  Well, at least I have it now... THANKS! :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon - Just coming across this thread now! Wow I have really been missing out on this great feature / program!!

Any chance their will ever be be "builder" for stone façade / cultured stone type of materials? I know Chief already has some manufacturer catalogs with quite a variety but sometimes it is hard to find exactly is needed for a project. 

1740340859_Skyline-CountryLedgestone-Google2.jpg.20b67a40fade2817737e92404f9056ea.jpg1990979018_GrayCobblefieldGoogle.jpg.8a970e699ed0b8b7ddd8fcba4b4103f5.jpg

Madrona Cut Coarse Stone.jpg

On 3/31/2023 at 11:34 AM, Ange822 said:

Good afternoon - Just coming across this thread now! Wow I have really been missing out on this great feature / program!!

Any chance their will ever be be "builder" for stone façade / cultured stone type of materials? I know Chief already has some manufacturer catalogs with quite a variety but sometimes it is hard to find exactly is needed for a project. 

1740340859_Skyline-CountryLedgestone-Google2.jpg.20b67a40fade2817737e92404f9056ea.jpg1990979018_GrayCobblefieldGoogle.jpg.8a970e699ed0b8b7ddd8fcba4b4103f5.jpg

Madrona Cut Coarse Stone.jpg

There is a very good chance this will happen eventually, it's high on my personal list. 

The builders are just collections of materials I've made for other Chief catalogs, all bundled up together after I have enough of one type.  So, eventually, after I've made enough stone materials, I'll be able to plug them into a builder and we'll be good to go.

Glad you enjoy the tool!

• Like 1

Hey Joe, I'm pretty sure we reached out to these guys a couple times but still no bites yet.  I'll put them back on the request list for you though.

If it helps at all, I did add a Masonry and Stone builder recently at the top of this ChiefTalk thread.  It's not specific to the system paver products but it IS a generic collection of paver options that might help you out.

4 hours ago, CADustin said:

Hey Joe, I'm pretty sure we reached out to there guys a couple times but still no bites yet.  I'll put them back on the request list for you though.

If it helps at all, I did add a Masonry and Stone builder recently at the top of this ChiefTalk thread.  It's not specific to the system paver products but it IS a generic collection of paver options that might help you out.

Techo Bloc already has a good SketchUp Texture Library and Patterns (AutoCad Hatches) available of their Products like Pavers, you should add them to your list to do a Full Chief Library with too, they already work with AutoCad, Dynascape, Pro Landscape and Structure Studios etc.  It's just a suggestion of course :) 

https://www.techo-bloc.com/support/resources/technical-resources/designers-toolbox

Mick.

These guys are also on the list but we'll shoot them another e-mail as well.

Also, as always, users asking for Chief-able catalogs carries a lot more weight than if we reach out so don't be shy about telling them what you want.

22 minutes ago, CADustin said:

These guys are also on the list but we'll shoot them another e-mail as well.

Also, as always, users asking for Chief-able catalogs carries a lot more weight than if we reach out so don't be shy about telling them what you want.

Thanks Dustin!

Yes, the only way manufacturers get on board is to have many users contacting them for a 3d catalog to use in Chief and it can be a slow process to get their attention.  However the reward is a catalog in Chief with models that work correctly, have all of the info embedded for schedules/material lists, and is updated and maintained by Chief.

The link posted above discusses a few strategies for contacting manufacturers.  

• There is also a new thread called New Manufacturer Catalogs for Chief:  Email Contacts. Chief users can help out by sending a quick email or sharing an email contact for others to use. 

Susan

• Upvote 1

Small update to the tile builder, gang.  You can get latest at the top of this thread, as per usual.

-Added a new material selection "~Image Input RAW" that bypasses the color picker so you get the true color of whatever image you drop in.

-All controls should work with this material type normally EXCEPT the color picker and the inverter control.

-Feel free to post any problems you find here or e-mail me at dustin@chiefarchitect.com, this update is small but it has a lot of capability to get into a weird state.  I think I got most of the oddballs but just in case, don't be shy if you find anything that needs fixin'.

-Also tinkered with 1:1 Large Tile for better checkered tiling.

-Various under the hood clean ups.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Yeah, the image input takes the image you give it and slices it up into the tile layout you select.  I'm unable to make it remove the grout or add more surface area though so your best bet is to either find a better continuous image (counter tops work great for this kind of stuff) or edit the image via photoshop or something else to take out the grout.

I'll also add "Terrazo Material" type to the todo list for next time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/1/2019 at 1:55 PM, Chief_Content said:

Our Content Development Team has been churning out new PBR friendly materials over the past few releases. These are materials that include a combination of Normal Maps, AO Maps, Roughness Maps, and Metal Maps. We use a software specifically designed to generate custom materials for 3D Rendering called Substance Designer. The program leverages parametric values to control sizing, colors, pattern, and other elements to generate unique tile-able texture maps along with automatically producing the other relevant maps need to create the effects that you expect to see in PBR (GPU Ray Trace) and CPU Ray Trace views.

Our process includes generating individual materials then importing them into Chief Architect and distributing the catalogs that you download and use. This converts the parametric materials into static images that aren't as flexible as those that are created in the Substance Designer Program.

Much like the Client Viewer and 3D Viewer products that are available for use with Chief Architect, Substance offers a product that allows others to leverage the parametric files to create their own custom materials... without needing to be an expert of the full-fledged program. We would like to invite you to try it out and create your own custom materials from the file we've set up for Tile.

How does it work?

First of all, a healthy understanding of how materials work inside of Chief Architect is a good starting point, and we just happen to have a couple primer videos ready for you here.

Advanced Materials

Creating Custom Materials and Colors

Once you understand how Chief Architect behaves with different properties and maps, you can dig right in and make your own maps using Substance Player (a free download) and these source files we've set up to generate materials.  Just download the Substance player from the link below and use it to open the builder SBSAR files you wish to work with.  To assist, we have a quick video showing how to use Substance Player to get your custom maps into Chief Architect:

How to use Substance Player in Chief

Substance Player (Download) 

Chief_Architect_Tile_Builder.sbsar 97.32 kB · 312 downloads

Chief_Architect_Wood_Builder.sbsar 237.12 kB · 125 downloads

Chief_Architect_Masonry_and_Stone_Builder.sbsar 106.4 kB · 122 downloads

Chief_Architect_Single_Color_Fabric.sbsar 486.23 kB · 86 downloads

Chief_Architect_Multi_Color_Fabric.sbsar 474.49 kB · 91 downloads

Chief_Architect_Ornament_Builder.sbsar 35.82 kB · 16 downloads

We'd love to hear what you think. Is this useful? Are there other material types you'd like to try with the Substance Player tool? Voice any requests or questions here, or via e-mail to content@chiefarchitect.com . 

Chief Architect is not affiliated in any way with the Substance Designer or Substance Player software programs. Chief Architect will not be able to offer any support for the Substance software products or files. Using the program and files is completely voluntary. Substance compatible files are provided simply as a gesture, with no guarantees, extended to give access to more material options for those who are interested.

Are these files available somewhere else? I need the tile builder but can not find it anywhere. Help

On 2/28/2024 at 9:49 AM, juliarias said:

Are these files available somewhere else? I need the tile builder but can not find it anywhere. Help

Everything is in 1st post of this thread.........

@CADustin

M.

Yup yup!  Thanks for the heads up KBird.  All the files should be on the first post of the thread.

For the tile builder, you're looking for...

Chief_Architect_Tile_Builder.sbsar  

If you see it and it says "Unavaiable" then you need to sign into ChiefTalk to enable file download.

If you still can't find it, let me know and I'll investigate further.