Sill Plate In Garage

jbaehmer

OK - I don't know if I am going crazy or simply blind.....

I have a simple box house w/ garage that I attached.  It is has hung joists floor system.  The stem walls are at 25.5" (24" stem wall w/ 1.5" mud plate).  However, when I build floor framing to get the mud plate to show, it only shows on the house and not the garage.  when I take a cross section, the stem wall is shown at 25.5" tall. and no mud plate shown.  I want it to show 24" stem wall and 1.5" mud plate for the whole structure.  I checked my defaults and don't see an issue off hand.  Is my old age catching up with me?

post-314-0-39647300-1408574001_thumb.jpg

Untitled 1.plan

The wall alignment is a easy fix....I did a quick plan and didn't notice it.  The issue I am having is the right side of the stem wall (where the garage slab is showing) where it comes up an additional 1.5".  There is to be a sill plate there, but I can't get it to generate.  CA is filling that space with the stem wall making the stem wall a total of 25.5" instead of 24" with the 1.5" sill plate.

The sill plate is there it is just in the wrong place, as you  say , even weirder is in your pic it is sitting on top of a plywood subfloor layer too on top of the stem wall ....

I did a quick plan like you and get the same cross section  except mine doesn't have the ply subfloor under the sill plate

maybe you found a bug ?

M.

edit after playing around and finding nothing , I deleted the foundation , label the garage as unspecified again , rebuilt the foundation , specified garage again and it built correctly again without the layer of subfloor you have, I tried a few different settings while doing the above, so can't be sure which one got it in the end .....sorry,  perhaps it depends on when you specify the garage room as such in the "build "process ?

Appreciate the video!  Got a couple of little things that I didn't know.  I didn't on that plan for the sake of time as I was leaving the office.  The thing that was bugging me is that when I autobuild the floor, the sill plate shows on only the stemwalls of the house and not the garage.  I want them to show on the garage also.  However, what I am getting is the garage stemwalls becoming 1.5" taller (the same thickness of the sill).op  It used to be this way and not it doesn't appear to be happening.

Here is a pic of what I am looking for the result of doing "build floor framing" should look like at the garage for me.

post-314-0-09904400-1408624837_thumb.jpg

Jared:

What exactly do you mean by a hung joist(s) for your floor.  In your plan I only see 3/4" subfloor in the floor structure of the dialog.  I also see that for the garage room, you have the top of strem wall set at -3/4".  Are the joists missing in your floor definition and shouldn't the stemwall top be set at "0"?

Top of the subfloor is "0".  Since I am looking for the SWT to be the same throughout, that is why I have the SWT set at -3/4" for the garage.  However, even when I put in the defaults for the stemwall to be 24" w/ 1.5" sill, the garage shows as 25.5" and not the 24" stem w/ 1.5" sill.  So, I don't have an issue with hung joists...just why there is no sill plate on the garage stemwall when I build the floor framing.

I love these kinds of things,  if nobody else looks at it and if I have time in the am,  I will take a look.  

These darn garages and there sills ain't too cool......  but I will take a look if time permits.

Hey, who's up at 4am, you got to get more sleep.

If I understand what you're going for, In your garage definition, lower the stem wall top © to -2 1/4"; set the stem wall (I) to 2'. This gives you equal stem wall heights and a sill plate at the garage.

post-95-0-81576800-1408633985_thumb.png

Don't know why the sill plate won't build at the house, though.

Jared:

Try to put a wall break in the top house/garage foundation wall where the up/down wall intersects it.  Then I think you might be able to get your settings to work right.  Also, make sure the garage stemwalls are unchecked for "Hang floor platform above on wall".  I think this image is what you are after.  I put some floor joists in for the house for show and tell.

post-191-0-73660900-1408639602_thumb.jpg

Curt's 2nd pic looks right to me ( ply is short , platform width?)  but I am not sure why Jared's 2nd pic is showing a 2nd bottom plate and subfloor layer in the garage , it's not built like that anywhere I have seen ?

*** looked at the video Scott ......the Problem Jared has showed in the 1st 2minutes of the video ,if I understand his issue correctly.... the stemwall in the garage is 1 1/2" above the stem wall of the house , it builds/built that way when you hit Auto build. I think he wanted 25.5 " stem walls on both the garage and house right? so the concrete will all be the same height.

My question about the ply was in regard to why there is a plywood layer in his garage wall framing , not in the house framing....  not that I couldn't see it.....

at about 7 mins in the video , it looks to me like the floor is there but due to the light/shadows you think you are looking at the joists?

*** looked at the video Scott ......the Problem Jared has showed in the 1st 2minutes of the video ,if I understand his issue correctly.... the stemwall in the garage is 1 1/2" above the stem wall of the house , it builds/built that way when you hit Auto build. I think he wanted 25.5 " stem walls on both the garage and house right? so the concrete will all be the same height.

Close...I want the house and garage to be 24" with a 1.5" sill plate. Not both with .  I used to auto build a FDN to get the walls and auto build the floor framing and get a sill plate on the house and garage.  Now I only get it on the house.  I want it to generate for both house and garage.

I'm jumping in late here, but I think you could just not call it a garage and change the Floor Height in the Room dbx.  That should resolve the Stem Wall issue.  You can Name the room "Garage" but just not use the "Garage Room Type"

I just tried that, but as soon I as check "floor supplied by room below", I run back into the same issue.

I meant 24" plus 1 1/2" sill plate for the 24"  above for the 25.5" total.

just did another quick plan and as soon as you designate the garage as a garage the Stem wall pops up 1 1/2 "

unspecified rooms

post-315-0-66836000-1408645894_thumb.png

garage specified ( main area still unspecified but makes no difference if say Living Room)

post-315-0-65485600-1408645924_thumb.png