x9 on a laptop?

Lighthouse

I only use a laptop. Cooling matters for constant use or it will get throttled. I use Clevo Sagers-I like the ports, cooling and ability to customize-the one at the top of my signature was $3k and has a desktop CPU.

That said with the newer NVidia cards I could see using one with a laptop CPU, more so if it's not for all day constant use ( and or fewer screens-I also run two extra monitors- 24" dell, 15" Display port (draws off the CPU not the vid card) and sometimes add in a 42" Samsung TV with clients.)

An option NP8372  with

17.3" FHD IPS Matte Screen w/ G-Sync, Intel® Kaby Lake i7-7700HQ,NVIDIA® Geforce® GTX 1070 [8GB] VR Ready, 16GB RAM (Up to 32GB 2400MHz) 250GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD

Starts at $1700- plus the OS (120 for win 10 Pro) Same thing with a Desktop CPU 7700k adds $400

Given a choice I'd wait a month or two. New Intel Chips dropping shortly and supposedly the biggest improvement in them is in the laptop chips. Personally I'm waiting till first or second quarter of next year when supposedly yet another group of Intel Chips and some new NVIDIA chips land but I'll be looking for a rocket.

You will find some similar for other brands, link I posted specializes in gaming machines there are other options.

Hi:

depends on definition of "decent speed"

In the past I had a $2000+ rule when I bought a new PC

I generally looked for top of line and then backed down a step or two

as I like to get 4-5 years lifespan of usability before needing to get a new PC to keep up

Lew

Shoulda mentioned that the biggest difference between the current laptop CPUs and the desktop one is when using multiple screens. Desktop CPUs don't have Optimus to work around, get hiccups with the old 15" machine when connected to the Dell (sometimes).

Decent speed for me- yesterday all day with 28mb plan, second 9 mb, plan, layout file, 2-3 perspectives at a time, 4 elevations, 3 cad details, firefox with 4+ tabs, bluebeam with 6 tabs, xNview, Chaos Intellect, occasionally open office Calc-no lag-except the normal when switching to watercolor with line for renderings.

7 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Has anyone found a laptop powerful enough to run X9 at a decent speed?  If so, could you provide the specs?  Last time I looked into this the only thing that came close was an Alienware gaming laptop for about $2600.

Asus just released some new gaming laptops.

http://edgeup.asus.com/2017/rog-strix-gaming-laptop-guide-gl503-gl703-scar-hero/?utm_source=EDM&utm_medium=EMAIL&utm_campaign=GL503 EDM - US

10 hours ago, Rich_Winsor said:

Guess they are a little thinner than the earlier models but those specs have been around for over a year.

For light and inexpensive I'm interested in seeing how the 8th gen Intel CPUs shake out. The i7-8850U supposedly fall between the 7500HQ and the 7700HQ at lower cost, better battery and less heat. There are several that have launched (mostly around $1k) but only one with a dedicated GPU (Acer Spin w GTX1050), Apple is supposedly launching one for those on the dark side. It all may become really interesting when nVidia Volta series drops combined with Intel's 8000's.

We use laptops for all of our trade shows and training computers. 

You can review our minimum and recommended system requirements here:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/sysreq.html

My personal preference would be to get one with an Intel I7 multi-core processor (7th or 8th gen), 16 GB of ram or more, an SSD drive, and a GeForce video card with a minimum of 4 GB of card memory (the 1070 with 8 GB looks like a pretty nice card), and as large of a screen as you are willing to haul around.

• 2 months later...
On 9/28/2017 at 10:49 AM, Dermot said:

We use laptops for all of our trade shows and training computers. 

You can review our minimum and recommended system requirements here:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/sysreq.html

My personal preference would be to get one with an Intel I7 multi-core processor (7th or 8th gen), 16 GB of ram or more, an SSD drive, and a GeForce video card with a minimum of 4 GB of card memory (the 1070 with 8 GB looks like a pretty nice card), and as large of a screen as you are willing to haul around.

Demot.

What would you buy TODAY? I just passed my current Laptop (listed in my signature) and am looking at the 

MSI GT73VR TITAN PRO-872 17.3" 120Hz 5ms Display Extreme Gaming Laptop i7-7820HK GTX 1080 8G 32GB 1TB SSD + 1TB

• Display: 17.3" FHD, Anti-Glare Wide View Angle 120Hz 5ms 94% NTSC 1920 x 1080 | Keyboard: Steel Series Full-color backlight with Anti-Ghost key + silver lining
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-7820HK (2.9 - 3.9GHz)
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8G GDDR5X
  • RAM: 32GB (16G*2) DDR4 2400MHz 4 Sockets; Max Memory 64GB | HDD: Super RAID 1TB SSD [512GB*2] M.2 SATA + 1TB (SATA) 7200rpm
  • Special Features: 120Hz 5ms Display | VR Ready | RGB Steel Series Keyboard | Nahimic 2 Audio | Thunderbolt 3

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074ND6D14/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2SUX5LBFQNDQA&colid=16GEH821OW0HN&psc=0

Thanks in advance for our thoughts,

Scott,

That looks like a very nice laptop and Chief should perform very well on it.  I personally would have a hard time justifying the price though.  At almost $3000 it's pretty much on the high-end of the price range for laptops.  I suspect that you would also get good performance out of a machine that is half as much.  Typically, spending twice as much will not give you twice the performance of a good machine (on the low-end maybe but not on the high-end).  I would guess that you would only get something like 10% better performance.  Whether or not spending that much more for the added performance is worth it to you depends a lot on your business model and personal preferences. 

54 minutes ago, Dermot said:

Scott,

That looks like a very nice laptop and Chief should perform very well on it.  I personally would have a hard time justifying the price though.  At almost $3000 it's pretty much on the high-end of the price range for laptops.  I suspect that you would also get good performance out of a machine that is half as much.  Typically, spending twice as much will not give you twice the performance of a good machine (on the low-end maybe but not on the high-end).  I would guess that you would only get something like 10% better performance.  Whether or not spending that much more for the added performance is worth it to you depends a lot on your business model and personal preferences. 

Dermot,

thanks for for your reply and honest thoughts. Your point is well taken. What concerns me is the rapid acceleration the demand of software is placing on all of us. When I built my Dual Xeon the decision was based mainly on the fact that ray Tracing performs better with more cores. Today, it appears Rendering has improved in many Design and rendering developers offerings with more demand placed on GPU’s and less on core count. So, I’m leaning toward I7’s-8700k 3.7GHz - 4.3GHz clock speed and 6 cores and dual GTX 1070’s 8GB each in SLI all in a Laptop. This will give me all I need on the road and at the office in one package....at least for the next few years.

AFAIK Scott , SLI has little benefit in CA , that may change of course, but it was a waste a few years ago for me..  though I see now that you have Lumion too , so perhaps it is a benefit there? Not sure about CA X10's new Physical Rendering Mode either actually... maybe things are changing in CA ?

M.

• Downvote 1