Roof Tips?

olyconstruction

Hi Chiefs,

I am working on this roof plan that seems pretty complicated to me, but I am almost done with it. 

I am trying to get it to match the roof plan ( see pdf ) and I pretty much have I think as far as the plan goes. When you open up the 3D view though, things are a little hinkie.

For instance at some of the intersections of the roof planes you can see part of the roofs fascia board. I am not sure how to fix them without over lapping roof planes. I want to avoid using the join roof planes tool because it will throw off the pitches which I need to keep exact.

If any one has any tips or tricks on how to heal up some of these roof join conditions or has any suggestions on how to go about fixing some of the more unsavory parts of my roof, I would really love to hear from you, any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks so much!

AB

KRAWCYZK.plan

Krawczyk Home Plan.pdf

The "Z" axis height of roof planes is equally as important as the roof plan done in 2D. To really repair this roof system thoroughly, I would have to have the elevations pages which you did not provide. The Join Roofs tool will not change any roof pitches only the joining geometry. 2D draftspersons are not infallible and once in a while make mistakes but in your case I think the Z axis settings of some of your roof planes is throwing off slightly they way the look in plan view (Fascia top height, baseline height, pitch are equally important relative to roof design, not just 2D)

DJP

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the help guys. I made a mistake in my explanation. The join roof tool does not change the pitch, you guys are totally right about that. The problem is that it changes the plan display of the roof planes, they overlap and do not look very professional if I send them to a truss manufacturer or someone like that. For instance the plan you sent Mike (thank you) looks awesome in 3d but in the roof plan view the planes are over lapping. 

Is there a way for the roof to look like the PDF representation in the roof plan view and look tight in the 3d view as well?

Thank you for all the help guys, I think I am just going to keep one plan file just for the roof plan, and use a separate file for the elevation and 3d views. This really troubles me though, I feel that some eventually some of the information will not match up and something will be built wrong because of it. I find myself doing this sort of thing on a lot of projects, am I alone?

DJP, you made a great point about the z values. I went through the elevations and entered as many of the correct z values as I could but then I got stuck when I hit a roof plane with breaks in it, having multiple "baselines" I assume the baseline refers to the lowest line away from the ridge, but how do you find the value of another baseline if it is at a different height? I really hope you are right about the 2d cad being off. It is becoming very frustrating working with the section view at this point, alot of the way the roof is represented in 2d does not match up to how it is drawn up in 3d and I find myself in a black hole of re-editing.  Maybe I am just not comprehending the way the roof is supposed to be built to represent it in chief. 

Solver, when you say pull back the roof planes from the join and connect them, do you mean drag the lines over each other? Whenever I have tried to do that they revert back to some other state where they either dont connect at the base, or extend into the room below. 

Let me know what you think guys

...... I think I am just going to keep one plan file just for the roof plan, and use a separate file for the elevation and 3d views......

nuts,  your choice but you asked......  keep everything in one file,  learn to use ref sets and understand that you may want the final output to be a bit different but sometimes CA does not cooperate.....  get over it.......  keep as much as  possible auto,  this will reduce the number of errors in the plans.  

I must say for some one learning this a pretty complicated roof if you don't quiet understand how chief behaves you will be running around in circles I would suggest watching training videos on roofs if you have SSA or maybe get one of the chief expert here do a screen share and get then to guide you through it as I think once you are shown you would find it easy next time

• Upvote 1

If you want a 2D roof plan that looks like the plan in your example, then Chief may not be the tool for you. Until the issue with overlapped roof planes is addressed, it is what it is. But...if you are using a different plan file, just for an aesthetic reason, then you are truly missing the boat with Chief. Using/learning more about reference sets, layer sets, and anno sets will be huge for you.

As for a professional looking roof plan in Chief....I would beg to differ. 

post-70-0-69324500-1475236680_thumb.png

......... Until the issue with overlapped roof planes is addressed, it is what it is. ..........

So true,  is CA aware of this weakness in the program?  I have learned to live with it as Joey has.  However I do hope that CA will address this issue.