The dsh/GW terrain work shop

dshall

Glenn and I are putting on a terrain workshop:

Friday July 1 4:00 pm pst time which would be Saturday July 2nd 9:00 am OZ time.

If you are interested,  email me at dscotthall@mac.com and I will include you in the invites.

This could be a real good workshop for those that do not understand terrains.  I think I understand them quite well with the exception of a few peccadilloes.

We will create some terrain scenarios and if we are lucky(or maybe not lucky),  we will uncover some of the peccadilloes and we will see if we have some solutions for them.

Attendees:

dsh,  The Great Glenn Woodward,  Antoine (if he can get his a$$ out of bed),  David Kawasaki,  "P" Slab Man,  Gavin Dennis  (or is it Dennis Gavin?),  JB "The Mad Baehmer",  John Scussel,  Alan Lehman,  JPC,  Rich Winsor,  Graeme,  Chopsaw,  

Okay guys,   I just checked my GOTOMEETING,  it is still working.

I will send out email invites 15 minutes before show time.  Answer the email and follow prompts,  easy peasy.  We will start promptly on the hour.  If you have headphones with a mute button,  please use them, no worries if you do not have them,  I can always mute you  (back ground noise is sometimes an issue).

The meeting may last 2 hours,  it will not go past 3 hours.  You can always bail out at any time.

The first 20 minutes I will develop a terrain with walk out basement,  site retaining walls and any other dastardly conditions we can dream up.  I can then turn it over to anybody else who might want to share.

I am hoping that during the demonstration an example of CA's peccadilloes will show up,  and together we will find a solution.  

Workshop summary:  First I want to thank all who attended.  If I learn one thing out of a workshop,  I consider the time well spent.

I did a lot of the narrating in the beginning,  and if I am talking,  I am probably not learning....  but....

This is what I learned.

1.   The Glenn Woodward Retaining wall/footing/cap method.  This is akin to my request for the Super Pony Wall,  but a bit more limiting.

2.   Reinforced my believe that CA builds terrains with a few peccadilloes.  This was confirmed when together we saw some "spikes" in the terrain for no logical reason and the only way to eliminate the "spikes" was to remove a select topo elevation line which should not of been necessary.

3.   Chopsaw challenged me to import an ACAD TERRAIN file,  and I was able to do this very quickly.  The file I had included what I would call "smart" topo lines,  meaning the imported topo lines had an elevation associated with them.  How they did this,  I do not understand,  but it was very cool.  To Chopsaw,  I would share that particular file,  but it is not mine to share,  so I would rather  not.

During the workshop,  I wanted to run across some more CA terrain peccadilloes,  but we ran out of time.  The workshop was 2.5 hours long.  I do not record these workshops nor do I want to spend the extra time required to process these workshops nor do I think anybody wants to listen to 2.5 hours of our banter.  So if you are interested in the topic, you might want to find time in your schedule to attend if possible.  We usually have some pretty heavy hitters who always have something to share.

If any of you other attendees learned something,  please let me know.  Thank You.

Workshop summary: First I want to thank all who attended. If I learn one thing out of a workshop, I consider the time well spent.

I did a lot of the narrating in the beginning, and if I am talking, I am probably not learning.... but....

This is what I learned.

1. The Glenn Woodward Retaining wall/footing/cap method. This is akin to my request for the Super Pony Wall, but a bit more limiting.

2. Reinforced my believe that CA builds terrains with a few peccadilloes. This was confirmed when together we saw some "spikes" in the terrain for no logical reason and the only way to eliminate the "spikes" was to remove a select topo elevation line which should not of been necessary.

3. Chopsaw challenged me to import an ACAD TERRAIN file, and I was able to do this very quickly. The file I had included what I would call "smart" topo lines, meaning the imported topo lines had an elevation associated with them. How they did this, I do not understand, but it was very cool. To Chopsaw, I would share that particular file, but it is not mine to share, so I would rather not.

During the workshop, I wanted to run across some more CA terrain peccadilloes, but we ran out of time. The workshop was 2.5 hours long. I do not record these workshops nor do I want to spend the extra time required to process these workshops nor do I think anybody wants to listen to 2.5 hours of our banter. So if you are interested in the topic, you might want to find time in your schedule to attend if possible. We usually have some pretty heavy hitters who always have something to share.

If any of you other attendees learned something, please let me know. Thank You.

Scott, that is cool. Here, 8 hours time difference, but I will try to arrange time in the future if possible. Actually there are times I am active even at your late nights, but working with my customers out there.

Regarding the points raised, I would like to say what I know about #3.

the smart lines are topo lines that had a Z value initially in the AutoCAD. there are various ways that could happen.

* by opening the line properties you can manually input the value of Z inside AutoCAD.

* if the .DWG topo were produced by other programmes that generate topo lines like, Eagle Point or similar softwares that can process data from Global Mapper or survey data. then the imported cad file has automatically those smart topo lines.

just a thought.

thanks and keep up the good works. we all, even those us power users really owe you and Glenn a lot...

thanks

Scott - any chance you could start uploading the recordings of the workshop to youtube?  Id love to re-review some of these.

Nope,  I ain't gunna do it...  too much trouble....  and seriously,  there is so much wasted verbiage,  that I find it hard to believe anybody will watch and listen.  But....  I am always up for another workshop if you have something to discuss....  I think our time will be much better utilized with a live interaction.

Graeme,  glad you got something out of it.  I was glad you made it on however I was hoping for some more input from you.  You have been around awhile and I am sure you would of had something to contribute.  I hope you will join us the next time.