ChiefRedskins

No Tile Cutting Required - Perfect Dimensions

I have 18x18" tile throughout the entire 1st floor(single story home). I'm wanting to adjust the room dimensions so as to create a "perfect fit" for the tile, eliminating any need for cut pieces. After spending much time adjusting, I realized no matter how I adjust for "perfect fit", tiles begin and end with cut pieces. Any trick/method to accomplishing a "perfect fit"?

Thanks!

Ron

I have 18x18" tile throughout the entire 1st floor(single story home). I'm wanting to adjust the room dimensions so as to create a "perfect fit" for the tile, eliminating any need for cut pieces. After spending much time adjusting, I realized no matter how I adjust for "perfect fit", tiles begin and end with cut pieces. Any trick/method to accomplishing a "perfect fit"?

Thanks!

Ron

No.  In my professional opinion its not even remotely worth trying to do that.

No.  In my professional opinion its not even remotely worth trying to do that.

+1

My question is whether it can be done with CA. Not whether it is worth pursuing. 

If I can eliminate 100 cuts(extra labor), it's worth it to me.

Is that what tile guys do now days in reality, they move walls so they don't have to cut tiles? 

My question is whether it can be done with CA. Not whether it is worth pursuing.

If I can eliminate 100 cuts(extra labor), it's worth it to me.

Of course it's possible. Methods that come to mind…

1. Just do the math and size your rooms accordingly.

2. Create a polyline, polyline solid, floor material region, or whatever. Either make it the same size as your tile or the same size as your tile including the joint width, and then use the multiple copy tool with numbers set appropriately for both the primary and secondary offsets to create a grid work of tile in your building area. Use that grid work to lay out your walls. It might be a good idea to put that very first tile on a special layer before copying it so that you could easily group select the tiles or turn that layer on or off.

Ron,

As Michael indicated, it can be done - but unless your walls are all 17-1/2" thick (1/4" clearance from tiles to wall surface) there will be some cutting.  Of course, you can avoid that by having a "Threshold" piece at doors the width of the walls.

IAE, your rooms would have to have a clear distance that's a multiple of 18" + 1/2" for edge clearance and you also need to account for the grout space.

IMNSHO it's more work than it's worth.  ;)

You assume the house is built right when you assume no cutting.   You can dream your little dream, but framers and and drywallers are often pretty sloppy,  things aren't square, walls are out by 1/2" here, 3/4" of inch there.   I hate following someone else into a space,  I'd rather just do everything myself so I know what to expect.

Most business's have a personality type that is a very good fit. For nursing, it is the people pleaser and fixer. For accounting, it is the type A focused nerd. For tile setting, often times it is the Heroin junkie (at least the best ones I have run into). Have you tried laying out the rooms cooked on Opiates?

And there is no Common size of a 18x18 tile, or any size for that mater, even the same brand and sku of one tile can vary dye and size lot buy up to 1/8" or more ,brands by up to a 1/4" , with that variance its a recipe for disaster anyway, any good tile guy doesnt care,  hes going to round up anyhow when he charges you by the square foot    : )

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ChiefAKBuilder
    Newest Member
    ChiefAKBuilder

• By Renerabbitt
      POST 0

You've found it! A thread offering up some of my favorite symbols and content for Chief Architect X-11.
      These items are for X-11 only. If you haven't updated yet I encourage you to do so, it's a great release.
      The following content is listed by category with both a link to the post within this thread for easy navigation and a link to a direct download if you won't to cut straight to the chase. new/recent uploads are in RED font
      CLICK ON THE "DL" FOR INSTANT .CALIBZ DOWNLOAD:

CONSTRUCTION ASSEMBLIES/ARCHITECTURAL ITEMS:
      RABS 42 CABLE RAILING - DL    RABS MODERN FRONT DOOR AND DOOR ASSEMBLY - DL   RABS INTEGRATED SINK - DL NEW!!! 03/26/2020  
      ENTOURAGE:
      RABS CHARLES-HILL GROUPED LIVING ROOM - DL RABS CHELTON GROUPED LIVING ROOM - DL    ACCESSORY HOME #1 - DL ACCESSORY HOME #2 - DL ACCESSORY HOME #3 - DL  
      KITCHEN RELATED:
      3-ISLANDS - DL LA CORNUE 1908 RANGE - DL CAFE APPLIANCES, PAINTABLE(CORRECTED) - DL  
      LIGHTING:
      PENDANTS AND SCONCES - DL-1 - DL-2 - DL-3 - DL-4 RECESSED NC HALO 4 INCH LED WITH HOUSING - DL NEW!! 03-22-20  
      MATERIALS:
      TILE AND COUNTERTOPS #1 - DL 1(ONEDRIVE LINK) - DL-2 CUSTOM WHITES WITH PAINT TOOLBAR ICONS - DL-1 - DL-2 - DL-3 - DL-4 - DL-5 - DL-6 RABS RUGS 1V1 - DL          RABS STARTER KITCHEN MATERIALS PACK - DL         RABS FLOORING PACK 1 - DL            RABS OLD GOLDEN OAK FLOOR - DL     
      SYMBOLS:
      FIREPLACE ASSEMBLY 1 - DL     ACKLES BED AND EDISON TABLE LAMP - DL-1 - DL - 2 TEAPOT MATERIAL EDITOR REPLACEMENT - DL-1 - DL-2 FINMARK TABLE FROM CB2 - DL FIREPLACE MANTLES 1 AND 2 - DL    RABS STRETCHABLE PICTURE FRAMES - DL     

VIDEOS: 
      YouTube Channel  
      Many of these I have personally made or modified. Some of the content may have been created by others for which I will give credit. Many of the materials have free licensing, so no credit is needed. 
      Some of this content may slow down your program as I have a high powered machine and often times use complex and high resolution textures. I will try and give as much detail as possible. Use at your own peril!

No but seriously dig through and enjoy, I've spent a good number of hours ensuring the quality of these symbols and will update them periodically- so CHECK BACK IN! and PLEASE GIVE A LIKE FOR THE POST OF ANY SYMBOL YOU LIKE, IT ENCOURAGES ME TO GO BACK AND REFINE/REDUCE/OPTIMIZE THAT SYMBOL. GIVE A DOWNVOTE AND IT'LL PROBABLY ENCOURAGE ME TO DO THE SAME THING...YOU'LL JUST BE A JERK FOR IT

CHANGELOG:(PACIFIC TZ)
      Page 1:
        Post 0:
      02-12-2019- 4:45PM: Removed the poll, migrated this thread. re-uploaded from X11 public beta 02-20-2019-2:59PM: Added a Poll for user content requests 03-30-2020-6:49PM: Deleted Video Links and added link to YouTube Channel   Post 5:
      02-12-2019- 4:45PM: centered the hearth on the symbol   Post 18:
      02-12-2019-9:52PM: Posted and fixed DL links  

Here is a symbol to get you started:
      @Cheryl_C_Crane Think you requested this,

RUSTIC BRICK 2.calibz
      Number of Textures: 2
      Map size: 1024x1024
      Filesize: 3.13 MB

• By ChiefArchitect
      We want to understand how design trends (and which ones) impact your work.

Share your experiences via our survey:

• By marinus
      Custom home and mostly residential remodel general contractor in Bellingham, WA is looking for a Lead Designer with extensive experience in computer drafting to join our firm.

Our office space is small and informal, but this allows us to offer a competitive employment package with benefits.

We are looking to hire a professional with experience drafting architectural projects - from the initial designs to permit plans. This self-motivated candidate must have excellent communication skills in order to collaborate with clients and co-workers alike.

You should have a thorough understanding of building components, green building, and good working knowledge of architectural construction documents in residential new construction and remodeling. We are looking for someone who has good problem solving skills and is able to self-manage.

Qualifications:
      • 5+ years of experience in construction/design
      • Strong technical skills
      • Proficient in Chief Architect, AutoCad, Revit or equivalent experience required

Responsibilities:
      • Draft residential (some commercial interior) building designs, details, and permit plans.
      • Check for code compliance, coordinate with consultants/permit officials/contractors and develop construction details

• By wjmdes
      Not sure if this was an issue in X11, but in X12, I added "FIELD VERIFY" to Trailing Text under Segments and it also added "FIELD VERIFY" into the extension next to the elevation.  Fortunately, in this case, that is fine, but maybe an issue in the future.

• By BusinessBuilder
      MG Construction & Decks is looking to hire an architect or construction designer for exterior remodeling. We are running a contest to hire one talented individual to join our team. We want this competition to be fair. Selecting a winner is simple, we will submit everyone’s work to our Instagram account, whoever gets the most likes on their design will win $1,000 and an internship to work for us part time or full time (depending on the quality of ongoing work). The winner will be able to work remotely and/or have an opportunity to come work at our Los Angeles office.
      CONTENDERS – WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
      We are providing limited information for the contest itself because we want to see how creative you can be.
      Create a 3D design that fits the following backyard image and email us (Email Subject: Contest Submission – Your Name) by clicking here.
      CLOSING DATE & ANNOUNCEMENTS
      All submissions must be submitted by February 15th and the winner will be announced Febuary 15th on our Instagram account.
      MG Construction & Decks is located in Los Angeles, California and specializes in exterior remodeling, interior remodeling and Deck Building.

https://mgcdecks.com/deckbuilding/2019-exterior-outdoor-deck-design-competition/