Laser Distance Measurer

Ridge_Runner

I have the D5 and it does everything I need except for the Bluetooth thing, A while ago I had to upgrade strictly b/c I couldn't read the old green screen very well anymore. The D5 has a black on white screen, very nice.

Scott,

I have the Distro D330i and love it. It has the auto leveling and Bluetooth. Nice small size. Easy to handle.

The Distro D330i lists for around $379. However, I purchased it from FLT GeoSystems back in November 2012 for $299.95.

I use it to measure existing buildings and input the dimensions manually on site into my Tablet using Redstick Cad Pro.

The Distro and Redstick Cad Pro have the ability to input dimensions using Bluetooth. However, I found it just as easy to do it manually.

Redstick Cad Pro is available for the iPad.

Jon

Perry,

No it doesn't have the camera.

I found it much easier to do the measuring inside. Bounce the Lazer off walls. Don't need a target.

I do use a tape measure to measure the foundation as a double check for my interior dimensions.

I also use a Camera Tripod to hold my Tablet while working inside. Keeps it at the right height and off of home owner's furniture while inputting the data.

Jon

Leica's new $149 Disto(E7100i) seems to work well for basic functions; it has Bluetooth and will work with Room Planner 3.0 due out in the near future.I

Is 3.0 just an upgrade for Ipad Room Planner or is this the long awaited Room Planner for Android tablets?

As a side note:  It looks like the Disto #7100i is available now and one doesn't have to wait until mid-June.

post-1026-0-49038100-1401756853_thumb.jpg

The 330 sounds like a nice unit, it is the cheapest Disto with both Bluetooth and Auto-Leveling.  I suggested the 7100 becaue the OP mentioned a sub $200 pricepoint.  The e7400 ($280 msrp) is the cheapest disto with auto-leveling (but no bluetooth). I have a Hilti PD28 (that cost way too much new!) which is still in great condition.

Is 3.0 just an upgrade for Ipad Room Planner or is this the long awaited Room Planner for Android tablets?

Room Planner 3.0 is a major upgrade for iOS.  It will have angled walls and room split, support for more Disto models - aimed at helping the as-built measurement process.  The Android version is coming; should be the following release - later in year.

• 6 months later...

I have been working with Chief for years now and am getting into as-builts and BOMA measurements. I was glad to see an app (room planner) that allowed me to use an onsite lazer measurer. As with many contractors, we use Bosh equipment and purchased a Bosh GLM100. It also comes with an app but is shaky at best. The room planner only works with Leica. With Bosh you get many advantages that Leica does but at a reduced price. However, this puts me in a delima as I wish to use the Bosh for Chief. I hope that support at Chief will reconize the value of Bosh and reconize the bluetooth measurements from the Bosh lazer.

If anyone knows how to force feed the room planner with Bosh,,, let me know.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Jon

Does it also have the Camera which in my opinion is a must have for daylight measurements.

I agree. The camera improves the ability to measure outdoor especially at daylight conditions. The camera of the Disto E7500i is faster and works even better than theese of the D5. If you have a closer look to the display here you may see that a distance of more than 135 meters was measured at daylight.

I purchased the top of the line D810 touch to use with ipad and it is great and can probably cook meals and auto align with the stars I just have not figured it all out yet.

Two weeks later they announce the E7100i (also purchased, why not) that works with ipad and is hundreds cheaper but only measures distances go figure.

Turns out the 7100 works great with room planner and is so much easier to manage while juggling other things and or having to talk to people as you go. I do not know if it “auto-levels” but using my built in incline-o-meter between my ears I do not think I can be off that much. (The camera on the 810 is very helpful for outside stuff and large distances)

The web sites that sell them give a good discount if you email them for a quote.

Hoping room planner 3.0 acknowledges that walls can be thicker than 4" in real life...