cjanderson66

New foundation and old foundation

I do a lot of remodels and want to be able to distinguish between the old foundation and the new foundation in plan view.  In my old program (ACAD) I would crosshatch the existing T footing or even just leave it alone but on the new footing I would poche it so the contractor would know that it is a new footing.  I am having a hard time trying to figure out a good way to do this.  If I go in and define the wall anything other than concrete is still doesn't show up in plan view but it shows up in the section view which I still want it to be concrete.  Any ideas guys?  Also, I've created a slab on grade with perimeter footings.  How can I create and interior footing below a wall that is part of the slab on grade.  Dumbfounded!

In your wall layers you can assign different fill for existing or new foundations or any type of wall.

How can I create and interior footing below a wall that is part of the slab on grade.  Dumbfounded!

Christopher,

Go down to the foundation level.

Draw a Slab Footing (Build...Wall...Slab Footing).

You can use the "Align With Wall Above" tool to get them lined up.

All you need to do to add the footing is open's the Walls DBX and on the Structure Tab at the bottom check "create wall/footing below"

( don't check bearing wall unless it is, as it may change your joist direction unexpectedly)

if Auto foundations isn't on you may need to Rebuild the Foundation to get it to show , if that isn't possible as you've got work you don't want deleted then , use Glenn's method above.

( you may need to setup your Defaults for Slab Footing 1st under Walls)

• Upvote 1

Wall hatching.

I use wall hatching too to show demo walls in the existing plan. I use the hatch tool to show existing walls in the proposed plan. This is just how I do it. We only do mono slabs or pier & beam foundations here. Our main work is remodels. For mono slabs, I always do it manually using with cad (except for the main slab for 3D & elevations...I use a manual slab). In order for me to get how the foundation plan looks and to satisfy the engineer and planning department, cad for me is much easier and faster along with callouts for the foundation details showing how they look with steel and how an existing slab meets a new slab, flatwork, etc..

If you want the materials list to be correct, if you can ever get that right, Create a different conc. stem wall with a fill and only include those walls in the material list. Create your foundation and just change the foundation walls ( you may have to break them ) to your new wall type. I do it all the time, do the same for new and existing walls in your plan

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    theCADStudio
    Newest Member
    theCADStudio

• By Ravenquills
      Hi everyone:

I am having an issue with a split level. I am using Chief X11.
      The plan i posted does not have foundations since when i add those things get really weird and I think I need to sort out the issue with the levels first or the foundation will never build right. I have a room that is going to be garage however no matter how i define it the door from that room into the main house is above the level of the ceiling. see attached photo. I have also attached the plan. The exterior walls are a sip wall customized according to the manufactures specifications with a layer for the furred interior walls. The total thickness on those walls is 10 5/8" The interior wall is a customized interior wall that is load bearing for use in certain areas of the design.

6242019 RFH (Shell2).plan

• By classicdesigns
      Are you struggling with your plans or do you need help with training?
      I can help you with all your construction needs. Online Training (small or big jobs). I have construction back ground over 25 years. I have field experience in construction. New Construction, Remodels, Additions Master with roof designs. Help you layout your plans. I can design plans from the ground up. References available upon request. Will beat quotes. If you’re struggling on how to use Chief Architect or if you need help with your plans I am here to assist you.  
      Please email me at Classicdesigns11@gmail.com or call 248-891-3955 for a quote.  If you have a budget I will work with you. 

Note: Working with X9 & X10

Annette Sokoll
      Senior Designer
      User Group Instructor
      Atlanta, Michigan
      248-891-3955
    • By RobersonConstruc
      Does anyone know any good resources or references to help me determine the footings needed to support the live and dead load of a structure? Please forward any suggestions.
    • By CDCDLLC_2014
      Hello,

My name is Brent Freeman, I live in Phoenix AZ and would love to do your drafting!

Have job-site experience, start to finish, 40 years-combined family experience.

Whatever the project, I can help! 
      I can provide structural or civil engineering if required.

Complete sets of plans for residential or small commercial projects ready to submit to the city!
      3D and Landscape renderings for HOA's!

Obtaining sub-contractor proposals, creating cost breakdowns and material estimates for your project. 

If in the state of Arizona I can also provide contracting! 

Have worked with several municipalities to get approved permits. 

Email Me at: Brent@cdcillc.com
      Call or text me at: 623-432-6312
      For More Info!

• By classicdesigns
      Need help with your plans or training? I can help you with all your construction needs. From new construction, remodels, additions, kitchens, baths, decks and garages. I have been with Chief Architect since version 2 and currently working in x8/x9. I have construction back ground, and references.  Feel free to contact me for all  your construction needs.           Annette Sokoll                                               Senior Designer                               Classicdesigns11@aol.com.                      
      248-891-3955