Will Somebody Help Me With This Bucking Plan?

dshall

That's what I did in an earlier post, used the casings.

Hi Perry,

Yes I know, saw your plan. However this only works if the window is set into a separate wall sized and set in from the main exterior wall face to create the recess. Have done this before. How does this method allow you to create the finished buck if the wall depth is say 10" and the window is recessed through the window DBX back say 5" into that wall only and you can't adjust the exterior finish thickness to cover up the exposed framing & sheathing.

Personally I like the casing/molding approach and as such I focused my efforts on how to make this work without the need to construct a special wall or do 5 additional things just to relocate or resize the window. Essentially this buck is just one of many ways that stucco/EFIS systems are being detailed around openings.

Just cleaning up the plan and will make it available so you can see the technique.

Graham

Graham, until you fear that fear it self, you are not going to effectively benefit the best of the talent inside you. Please keep up the nice work. I am trying to learn what you proposed.

Thanks Yusuf. It is always best to face ones fears. Just like to be prepared before stepping into the arena. :)

Many Thanks,

Graham

Hi Perry,

Yes I know, saw your plan. However this only works if the window is set into a separate wall sized and set in from the main exterior wall face to create the recess. Have done this before. How does this method allow you to create the finished buck if the wall depth is say 10" and the window is recessed through the window DBX back say 5" into that wall only and you can't adjust the exterior finish thickness to cover up the exposed framing & sheathing.

Personally I like the casing/molding approach and as such I focused my efforts on how to make this work without the need to construct a special wall or do 5 additional things just to relocate or resize the window. Essentially this buck is just one of many ways that stucco/EFIS systems are being detailed around openings.

Just cleaning up the plan and will make it available so you can see the technique.

Graham

I create special walls on just about every job I do, so its normal to me. I really think there is no correct answer until Chief adds this feature, the answer is whatever works for your situation is best for now.

I create special walls on just about every job I do, so its normal to me. I really think there is no correct answer until Chief adds this feature, the answer is whatever works for your situation is best for now.

You have my full agreement 200%. I have been very consistent in many of my postings that the validity of any proposed technique is for the end user to determine. There is no such thing as perfect, it's only some undefined term relative to what we have or know at this particular point in time.

Graham

This was a tract home, and they were just using the bucked windows, on the street side.  The entry door, and the garage door were also bucked.

I work in seismic zone D1; but was impressed by the number of hold downs, straps, A35, and ESR2523.

Another striking difference is that we're not required to use sprinklers yet.

We use a lot of those around here and its getting more and more every year.   We have to show them on the foundation and on the framing plans, that's one reason why we have to put all that on a clean foundation plan and not on a basement plan, it would just get to cluttered. All this stuff is in the IBC, but not everyone enforces it yet but it's coming your way.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a single wall method, but is more complicated than my usual drywall wrap.

I've had to use a pass through (with the stucco wrap attached as a Blind) and a window; sharing the same opening.

Bill,  appreciate this info,  however I do not understand how this works.  I did take a look at the plan and I did review with Joe Carrick,  and we could not figure it out.  Is there any way you could explain it to me.   I will do a GOTOMEETING at your convenience if you think it would be quicker and more efficient,  thanks.

I'm visiting in Pennsylvania this week, but would be glad to go over it with you next week.

It does get a little complicated with the sizing, origin, etc.

I do like Perry's method best, and the radius stucco wrap can be used with Perry's method too.

I'm visiting in Pennsylvania this week, but would be glad to go over it with you next week.

It does get a little complicated with the sizing, origin, etc.

I do like Perry's method best, and the radius stucco wrap can be used with Perry's method too.

Thanks Bill,  I would be very interested in learning the blinds attachment method.  I do agree with you,  Perry's method may be the best at least for me as of now.  Perry's method works best in plan,  section and elevation,  the other methods did not work for all three...  plan,  section and elevation.

I went back to Joe's method for a brief time......  window with 4"frame set in 12" thick wall and recessed 8".......  the problem with Joe's method.....  and it is a very simple and good method  but the DRYWALL shows at exterior.  See pic.

Why is that?  Why does the drywall show on outside?  Why doesn't the meeting of drywall and exterior finish NOT,  I SAID NOT meet in the middle of window so we do not see the drywall on outside?

post-50-0-30584400-1432826188_thumb.png

Scott,

Here is an Exterior Symbol that mounts on the wall.  You can size it to match your opening and Window recess dimensions, center it on the window and move in to fit against the window frame.  Let me know if you want to do a GTM. 

Thanks Joe.  Did you try it?  It appears to cover the window frame.  This is no better than the Perry method for a number of reasons.

I went back to Joe's method for a brief time......  window with 4"frame set in 12" thick wall and recessed 8".......  the problem with Joe's method.....  and it is a very simple and good method  but the DRYWALL shows at exterior.  See pic.

Why is that?  Why does the drywall show on outside?  Why doesn't the meeting of drywall and exterior finish NOT,  I SAID NOT meet in the middle of window so we do not see the drywall on outside?

So I sent this into Brian,  and this was his comment,

Scott,

I was able to reproduce the problem. This has actually been a long standing issue that I am surprised we don't hear more about. Currently there is no way to resolve this issue. I have added your report to our existing reports in this issue which will help increase the priority of getting this issue resolved. 

Thanks

I must agree with him,  for whatever reason I have not made a stink about this before and I guess not too many other folks have made a stink about it.  If it important to have this fixed,  please let headquarters know that it is important to you.

But,  going back to my BUCKED WALL ISSUE,  if the drywall did not appear outside,   I might be able to simplify my bucked wall methods....  so far Perry's method is best.

post-50-0-41629600-1432832383_thumb.png

So I sent this into Brian, and this was his comment,

I must agree with him, for whatever reason I have not made a stink about this before and I guess not too many other folks have made a stink about it. If it important to have this fixed, please let headquarters know that it is important to you.

But, going back to my BUCKED WALL ISSUE, if the drywall did not appear outside, I might be able to simplify my bucked wall methods.... so far Perry's method is best.

Am I missing some thing? I don't think so! Here is one wall one window in chief.

post-2517-0-02093600-1432857882_thumb.jpg

Am I missing some thing? I don't think so! Here is one wall one window in chief.

Wow, well don't keep us in suspense, post the plan please.

Funny, I wonder if it is what I'm thinking of. One wall but I would get two layers of studs..... Another solution but not perfect.

So Yusuf, let's see your solution.

Maybe you could post a plan view of the studs. Are they 2x8's or 2 rows of 2x4's?

OK Scott, I always bring what you are dying for and you just try to offend. For now it is suspence. Here is the plan view again. Try to find the setting and post it. Or admit it is the dry wall you and Brian failed to hide. Just kidding but I not done with your dimensions.

post-2517-0-80003800-1432859643_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1