Material List ?

ACADuser

The contractor has asked if I could generate a material list.

So, I have lots of stuff that should not be included in the contractor list of material.

I gave Group Office & others that I wish i could turn off the "Include in Schedule" for all the items in the block.

I don't want to explode the block as I have several in the drawing. But I need a strategy for walking through the drawing & somehow eliminating items from the material list.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

To get a useful, accurate Materials List, the model has to be PERFECT, on all floors, including the attic, the foundation needs to be drawn with the exact size grade beams etc. You check and check and then recheck and recheck . No 3D short cuts may be used (you must model the entire house exactly as it is to be built in the field, overlook NOTHING. 

For a materials list, I often take twice or three times as long making sure I get a relationally correct in all respects plan file to get a useful materials list.

DJP

export the ML to Excel and eliminate there if needed but you can turn off categories,floors etc via the ML's Display options, you can also remove columns as needed etc. disable the catagories you don't want in Preferences 1st then , once the ML is generated use display options to show only what's needed and then cleanup in Excel if  needed.

Note that it only calculates what you have modelled and only square footages , eg it doesn't calculate Cinder Blocks correctly last time I checked ,( you can ouble check that here http://www.blocklayer.com/Block-CalculatorEng.aspx and all drywall is calculated as 4'x8' sheets  (unless you change the DW as needed , ie it only lists what you have modelled.

M.

Wow -took me some time to read that thread but worth the investment.

So, garbage in - garbage out is the conclusion.

Looks like the defaults on most things must be prepared properly to get an accurate material list.

Even then "work around's"  usually defeat the ML accuracy.

As with working with smart 3d objects it take more time for accurate input the material list is another level of input needed while building the model.

Thanks

It includes everything in the model. Nothing more, nothing less.

exactly , and thus it is not a True Take Off for a General Contractor/Builder , so I would not use it for Bidding etc but was told they are doing some work on it for X8 and hope to improve it over the next 2-3 versions.

So, garbage in - garbage out is the conclusion.

Looks like the defaults on most things must be prepared properly to get an accurate material list.

Even then "work around's"  usually defeat the ML accuracy

The ML has been this way since I started with ver 9.5

IF - you take the time/effort some have had success

most would rather not bother

Lew

I agree, If the GC want's a more accurate list he will need to pay me more for the extra work to produce the list.

The as is list looks OK for "Ball Parking" or cross checking the manual take off.

just remember it doesn't allow ANY Waste automatically either so add 10% minimum even for the "Ballpark" + 10% for stuff it doesn't include like nails ,screws,bolts,hangers,glue.caulk etc etc.

Seems I might be the only one experiencing this problem. But I for the life of me can't get the materials list to merge materials from all floors. For it breaks out the materials by floor. So you end up having 2 or 3 sets of the same thing (The items from each floor). My only solution is to go into excel and sort by type and sum up all the duplicated items.

Seems I might be the only one experiencing this problem. But I for the life of me can't get the materials list to merge materials from all floors. For it breaks out the materials by floor. So you end up having 2 or 3 sets of the same thing (The items from each floor). My only solution is to go into excel and sort by type and sum up all the duplicated items.

Go to Preferences...Material List...Report Style...Include These Columns...uncheck Floor.

if you don't have a Floor column, Chief lists for the building and doesn't list by floor.

You can publish an accurate model and all the plans and framing plans and the ML data but unless you do your own accurate take off, all that ML data should not be relied upon. Please see the Chief Architect diclaimer about ML.