Roof With Curved Flair At Eves?

ACADuser

Wanting to create this design, see attached.

I am restricted to 8/12 pitch on the main roof,

Do I need to rebuild the existing roof plans or can they be converted.

I hate that ALL roof planes are removed as two are not o be this type & have differing pitches & materials on them.

I see that manual roof planes can be preserved. Good.

That means I have to rebuild them separately every time i rebuild the roof.

post-2435-0-51185700-1429884659_thumb.jpg

Yes reading the manual I was able to create a curved roof plans but as usual I am falling short of my goal.

There is missing information as usual or I'm just not smart enough to figure it out.

I do NOT want a completely curved roof plane. The first 24 to 36 inches are to be curved and the remaining roof plane to the peak is to be 8/12 pitch.

My attempt below is to use two roof planes but joining them is a problem for me.

Maybe I missed a step in your example & if it can be done with one roof plane, if so please point me in the direction I need to go.

Thanks for your help.

post-2435-0-31521000-1429890692_thumb.png

post-2435-0-27205800-1429890701_thumb.png

post-2435-0-95142900-1429890708_thumb.png

Roof Curved.plan

I can't open your file - I'm on X6 until my computer is upgraded (ran out of disk space). Be sure to draw the lower (curved) roof planes first, curve them, then draw the higher roof planes with the baseline along the ridge of the lower (curved) plane.

The process that worked for me on my sample house.

Select walls under roof to be curved.
Under Roof / Pitch Options  enter the LOWER pitch (3)  
Check Upper Pitch, then the Upper pitch (8)
Enter "In From baseline" use a smaller number than you think. For pitch to end at say 36" in from fascia enter 15"
Use CA "Build Roof" dialog and CA creates two planes, one at 3/12 and one at 8/12
Select all the 3/12 roof planes
General / Curved Roof check it and enter "Angle at Eve" about 3 deg. & hit OK
Bingo!

Build Roof is useful in this situation as I needed to tweak the baseline offset and eve pitch several time before I got it correct.

I still need to select all the lower roof planes and re-enter the Curve data each time but easier on a 4 wall building than on the actual house.

Those type roof are often done with just simple 'kickouts' rather than full radius.

In fact, I have never seen them done radius-ed at the end, except for an asian inspired design.   Something to think about, but I use similar details often and it is just a lower pitch by scabbing 2x6 on the rafters at the end.  

Even from the pic you posted, I cant see that that are a true radius.  I would put dollars to donuts that it is just kicked out tails especially given the style of the home.

From a field standpoint.....it is MUCH MUCH easier to construct as well.   Just a thought. 

Here's a link, shows the style you are looking for. There's a pic of this being framed, you can see that it has a radius, looks like the extension piece has a radius. There is another project in their gallery that shows it done as just a straight angle.

http://www.greatnorthernwoodworks.com/curved-roof-craftsman/

Graham

Way to go Justin!

I did not do it exactly as you but you furnished the key to the process.

The roof is too complex to auto build as the CA documents suggest to do it.

Your copy in place saved the day.

I used a cantilevered overhang truss so I had to get the desired base line height from a cross section view.

Then I used transform replicate to set the lower roof plane height. This gave the exact number I used for ALL the remaining lower roof planes.

I did the same for the upper section to establish the location of the joint between planes. Once I had that baseline height I plugged it into the remaining upper roof planes.

Then joint upper & lower planes. Obviously there was some planes that needed to be cleaned up at ridges & valleys but once figured out it wasn't too bad.

Thanks again.

post-2435-0-81866900-1430062929_thumb.png

post-2435-0-51415000-1430062941_thumb.png

post-2435-0-52964800-1430062954_thumb.png

Here is my take on the issue, an other example for any one interested, I tried to create the curve with smooth transition at the point it meets the straight one.

https://youtu.be/RTn1xDLQ1mg

I'm impressed!! Great vid. You made this seem like a walk in the park. You don't rehearse this by any chance do you :). Just kidding.

Graham