FLOOR PLAN APPS

builtright3

Don’t know if this is what you’re looking for, but I use the Bosch laser and the MeasureOn app.

You can sketch the rooms you need, select the dimension you want to measure, take the measurement with the laser and the dimension is entered.

Saw in a previous post that there was a Leica laser that works with CA.  Maybe the Disto D3.

Do a search for Leica.

Keith

Might as well just take Chief on a laptop and go around with a laser tape.  Plus of course some other tools.

This video has a lot of good info from those that do a whole lot of this.  I don't think there is a magic bullet app that automates this process, if real-life con docs for remodeling is the need.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

Might as well just take Chief on a laptop and go around with a laser tape

I've moved to doing this, where I used to use the Bosch measureon app. The only downside is you have to be there longer with CA. The upside to the measureon app is no typos as it takes the reading via bluetooth from the laser measurer.

The upside to CA is you see any issues with the measurements. Downside is you have to either type in measurements in a text box, or a piece of paper. Unless you are confident enough that you will not change a wall dimension when you draw the walls. I certainly am not

On 2/13/2024 at 2:24 PM, SHCanada2 said:

I've moved to doing this, where I used to use the Bosch measureon app. The only downside is you have to be there longer with CA. The upside to the measureon app is no typos as it takes the reading via bluetooth from the laser measurer.

The upside to CA is you see any issues with the measurements. Downside is you have to either type in measurements in a text box, or a piece of paper. Unless you are confident enough that you will not change a wall dimension when you draw the walls. I certainly am not

Wouldn’t it be nice if we could download Chief to IPad

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, builtright3 said:

Wouldn’t it be nice if we could download Chief to IPad

I think the bigger needed functionality is for walls to retain an "as measured" value, but it would also need to know what side of the wall was measured. The measure on app is quite smart. for instance, when you measure a window to a wall you tell it which side you are measuring from. For CA to do the same thing, it would need some sort of special temp dimensions. Or when editing the temp dimension, you have to key in a special character so it would know it was an actual measured dimension

This is a nice program and you can set wall thicknesses. But I need to learn more about it and it can be exspensive but it is what Im looking for. I only want to do a floor plan and put wondows and doors in it and be able to make notes. I want something I can draw on my "Ipad pro 11" and then transfer the line drawing to Chief. Even if I can transfer it that would be ok. I just dont want to take my computer out to the site and I dont care about blutooth measuring devises. 

https://www.arcsite.com/

That app looks like a decent program for it's use case (final drawing to send for realtors or appraisal). For me, I believe it would be slower than hand drawing on site. I am pretty fast with my oversized sketch pad (about 12x18 sheet of mdf with some clips for the paper). I print out 11x17 sheets with a grid. Even when I have brought a laptop to the site and done the drawing directly into CA I find it slower overall. Also, having the locked drawing from the site gives me a sense of comfort that a wall did not get bumped and adjust the as built.

I used a demo of ArcSite on my iPad, it was quite good but it will cost after the demo period is over. Has to be easy to use. I have used redstick site cad pro data on my old Samsung device and it was excellent. 

I prefer to use Canvas to do a lidar scan of the house, which I then send to Canvas to process and send back to me as a plan file. While I am on site scanning, I thoroughly photo document the house, and I take a few key measurements to send to Canvas for reference. After I get the plan file from Canvas, I transfer it to my plan template (from Rene Rabbitt), correct all materials and assemblies, and then bring the as-built plan back out to the site on a Surface Pro tablet, where I draw in the electric circuits in Chief. Then, back at my desktop, I import the survey and create a site model, at which point I have a complete as-built model to copy and develop into a renovation plan.

• Like 1