Cannot successfully do RTRT views without lockup and crashing.

GeneDavis

I can do a really simple model, a few windows and doors, some ordinary lighting, a piece of furniture or two, and some cabinets, and if I real time raytrace, and then in that display mode, do a zoom, or maybe orbital move, it doesn't take much, my system locks up and the the whole thing goes crash.

CPU ray trace works all day every day, no problems.

I got this new machine (see specs in sig) in order to be able to do RTRT, but it's never really worked.  The only way I can operate without the lockups and crashes is to quickly go into camera spec dialog and cap my samples and check to stop when capped.  And then treat the view as a CPU ray trace.  Things go blooey if I try to zoom or pan or do anything with the mouse.

However, a RTRT display this specified (capped at 150 passes) begins new passes if anything is done to trigger a restart of sampling, such as a move, or a selection, and it takes very little of this to make the program lock and then the whole PC crashes.

I have driver version 31.0.15.3598.

13 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

The only way I can operate without the lockups and crashes is to quickly go into camera spec dialog and cap my samples and check to stop when capped.

Assuming you mean Technique Options -- do you have Denoise When Complete checked?

Does checking/unchecking it change anything?

19 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

I have driver version 31.0.15.3598

What's the Driver Date listed in Video Card Status? Frustratingly NVidia makes those version numbers not align with their actual listed version numbers.

(website lists the 11/14/23 Driver as version "546.17 - WHQL" - helpful.)

Anyway if it's 11/14, you might actually roll it back to an older version - I've run into issues before after updating to the latest and Support's told me to try the previous one. Some drivers are more stable than others, apparently.

Sounds like a video card or driver issue. If there is a newer driver available, I would update.  If not, you might want to try rolling back to an older one.

If that doesn't help, then I would recommend calling tech support but you will need to wait until monday.  You might want to read through this tech article to see if it helps you before then:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00106/troubleshooting-3d-camera-view-display-problems-in-chief-architect.html

10 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

Things go blooey if I try to zoom or pan or do anything with the mouse.

I get that though it does clear eventually. My solution is to assign keyboard shortcuts to all rendering techniques. If I want to move, adjust anything I switch to standard view (VS for me) then back to RTRT (VP for physically based). EZ, fast, no lock up.  Handy going to glass house to find lost things too.

image.thumb.png.dfa508fe25ad2caa4a582bb5843b3bf2.png

17 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

I can do a really simple model, a few windows and doors, some ordinary lighting, a piece of furniture or two, and some cabinets, and if I real time raytrace, and then in that display mode, do a zoom, or maybe orbital move, it doesn't take much, my system locks up and the the whole thing goes crash.

CPU ray trace works all day every day, no problems.

I got this new machine (see specs in sig) in order to be able to do RTRT, but it's never really worked.  The only way I can operate without the lockups and crashes is to quickly go into camera spec dialog and cap my samples and check to stop when capped.  And then treat the view as a CPU ray trace.  Things go blooey if I try to zoom or pan or do anything with the mouse.

However, a RTRT display this specified (capped at 150 passes) begins new passes if anything is done to trigger a restart of sampling, such as a move, or a selection, and it takes very little of this to make the program lock and then the whole PC crashes.

I have driver version 31.0.15.3598.

I did notice on another plan you had samples set to 1000 and no cap live samples or denoise. drop that sample rate down to 50 and cap them