False Ceiling Beams

basilbabaa

Why do ceiling beams not follow the angle/pitch of the ceiling plane in a room? And, where can I manually override the pitch/angle of a ceiling beam?

I was able to set the top to the ridge height of the ceiling plane, but the setting for the bottom only affects the depth not the angle of the beam.

OR, how else do you accomplish this.  I just want to show a faux beam that follows the angle of the ceiling plane which is 6 pitch under a 10 pitch roof.

Screenshot 2023-10-15 at 6.35.03 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-15 at 6.34.53 PM.png

Lots of ways to do this in CA. Also rafters will follow your roof planes when you build framing. You can change the size of a rafter to suit your ceiling beam size. You can also turn the framing layer off or on and if you like exposed ceiling beams, then you can put them on a separate layer to keep them on in your 3D view. 

2 hours ago, basilbabaa said:

ceiling beams not follow the angle/pitch of the ceiling plane in a room

Ceiling and Floor Beams are only horizontal members as far as I am aware, Roof Beams and Rafter will both snap to the Roof Plane Pitch so not useful where you have scissor Trusses for example with 2 different pitches, so it's normally easiest to draw a Solid on the Gable End Wall in Elevation, copy reflect it to the other side and then multicopy across the Room in Vaulted Ceilings Areas.

You can also make 2 extra materials rotated at the correct pitch for the 2 different sides of the Room to show "grain" if needed.

image.thumb.png.9c7407066b5e9e1201357ff12e068fab.png

M.

14 hours ago, basilbabaa said:

OR, how else do you accomplish this.

Actually, you definitely want to use Roof Beams to get the benefits of automatic placement under ceiling, easy adjustments, plumb joints and ends, and automatic grain direction.

The easiest and best method IMO is to create another separate roof at the pitch of your ceiling, draw the roof beam there, then move the beam into your project.

If using Auto Roofs, make another building with the roof direction, size, and pitch matching your target ceiling, draw the beam there then point-to-point move the beam into your project. This will allow you to retain Auto Roofs. If you're already in manual roofs, just draw a roof plane outside the structure somewhere and create the beam there. See pics:

1334332459_ScreenShot2023-10-16at8_40_00AM.thumb.png.8240a42281e5be79410f1c247369e2a5.png

452407318_ScreenShot2023-10-16at8_40_13AM.thumb.png.90badc877865ec680879930026cd7961.png

Plumb ends with auto grain:

75160303_ScreenShot2023-10-16at8_43_10AM.thumb.png.9eea087e149d14d64137107ec105e6e3.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Chrisb222 said:

The easiest and best method IMO is to create another separate roof at the pitch of your ceiling, draw the roof beam there, then move the beam into your project.

Another good method ..........

But I guess we need to ask for a Sloped Ceiling Beam Tool that auto finds Ceiling Planes , as this is a common request theses days, so the extra work isn't required,

I'd think they could "re-program" the Roof Beam Tool to find Ceiling Planes instead of the underside of the Roof Plane fairly easily?

M.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chrisb222 said:

One can also build the framing for the vaulted ceiling and then re-size and replicate a ceiling joist / rafter downwards. Paint material, layer, etc.