Building roof doesn't bring in outriggers

winterdd

On 8/14/2023 at 3:57 PM, Joe_Carrick said:

Ok this is another case of using incorrect terminology:

• outrigger - a type of canoe  (Rob wants to float the roof :lol:)
  • lookout - the guy with the binoculars (CA's trying to rob the Bank :lol:;))

Correct terminology:

• outlooker - canitlever support for gable roof eaves. (Standard terminology:rolleyes::wub:)

Didn't we go thru something similar with "Tray Ceilings"?

lookout is the only term i've ever known. and i've never in my life heard it called an "outlooker". interesting.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, StephenGreene said:

lookout is the only term i've ever known. and i've never in my life heard it called an "outlooker". interesting.

Honestly, I just started calling them outriggers. I have called them lookouts otherwise

image.thumb.png.52f73c0f3a874500dc1798a09e067eef.png

• Like 1

I think I first saw the term ‘Outrigger’ in the Bostich training manual on trusses. It really doesn’t matter what you call them as long as they are counted in the quantities and shown on the plan. Regardless if you have to adjust them manually or not after they are automatically produced in CA. 

Have Fun !

On 8/14/2023 at 11:41 PM, ChiefUserBigRob said:

image.thumb.png.891a5f36041fcd40d9eb9aea6dce098c.png

I agree that this appears to be a case that will not trigger the program to produce (insert your chosen poison here, lol). I usually refer to your diagram needs as blocking for the sub-fascia. I've had this happen quite often and can sometimes produce a somewhat respectable representation of what physically needs to be built by using the ridge board. In plan view, copy in place then shorten the ridge board to fit the short span, I put it on it's own layer called 'Sub-Fascia Blocking' with a different material and line colour to find the little sucker just in case it wants to float off somewhere. Still in plan view, pull back the upper roof plane a bit then copy the new 'blocking' piece on one side of the ridge spaced where you like. Take a look in 3D and most times it will be at the right height along the sloped roof. In plan view I extend the length out past the sub-fascia board and then back in 3D I click on the extended end and can turn it to match the slope (it will be vertical like the ridge board). Go back to plan view and shorten it back up, copy and paste at will until all is well in Whoville again. Copy (as well as multiple copy) and paste usually works on both sides of the ridge as well as opposite ends of the house. Sometimes the program will already create the small little board at the ridge so I can miss that step. Sometimes the little beast won't play nice and wants to not line up with the sloped roof at all but stay at the same height as the ridge board and hang in mid air, I just put in the effort as needed to position it as required. 

As a side note, even the upper shed roof in your picture doesn't  appear to be considered outlookers in my neck of the woods, but in fact more like sub-fascia blocking. Around here anyone that requests outlookers  wants a dropped end truss so that the outlooker is one continuous piece of wood from the second truss through to the sub-fascia, canter levered with the 2x4 on it's edge (I think the other picture had blue ones on their flat).

Good luck with it.

• Upvote 1

I've heard framers call them ladder rungs.  As in, "send up that gable ladder with the rungs."  Particularly the ones that do not sit atop the gable wall, but instead are just nailed outside to the framing through the sheathing.  The truss plants here are panelizers also, and build them like 12" h. or whatever studwalls, single plate top, single plate bottom, and they get picked and set with a crane right after the trusses are set and braced.

14 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

This is a really bad detail from a structural standpoint.  Relying on "blocking" to resist the loads on the cantilevered gable is silly.

The last truss should be a truss with angled webbing and plates but I see this type of end roofing quite a bit. As long as the engineer can prove that it can carry the loads with vertical supports and hopefully nailing plates then it should work in theory ?

I helped the frame gang do something I sketched out, helped because it was easier to just do it than talk about it.  We set the first inboard common truss down on cribbing, tacked on some temporary vertical 2x4 spacers on which to set the reduced top gable truss, then nailed on the lookouts, the subfascia, and the big barge rafters (fascia) and hoisted the assembly up right after the common trusses were set and there was something to tie it to.  This was 2011, northern Adirondacks, three weeks ahead of the hurricane Irene rains that washed out  bridges and roads and isolated the job for ten days of ATV-only access.

On 8/17/2023 at 8:36 AM, Joe_Carrick said:

This is a really bad detail from a structural standpoint.  Relying on "blocking" to resist the loads on the cantilevered gable is silly.

That pic was pulled straight from google images when typing in "outriggers". I do agree with you however.