Lower pony wall isn't showing below Windows

DeLayDesign

I think this is an issue we've had for a long while, but in the case where I have a window in the upper portion of a pony wall, it is showing a break in my lower wall as well; even though the lower wall isn't being 'broken' by the window.  I have the walls shown as 'upper wall and lower wall outline'

image.thumb.png.f309bfe2b54541548a32174aac57157d.png

I really don't want to have to draw a line each time I need this cleaned up.

image.thumb.png.dce6947c35efcd5edc2cf8663768b23e.png

I contacted support but their response wasn't all that helpful.

It looks like your window is sitting right on top of the lower wall.  You could try raising it up just a tad.  You might also try playing around with the rough opening and concrete cutout settings to see if they affect it.

1 hour ago, DBCooper said:

It looks like your window is sitting right on top of the lower wall.  You could try raising it up just a tad.  You might also try playing around with the rough opening and concrete cutout settings to see if they affect it.

I thought that too.  No matter what I do with the window the lower wall is still 'cut'.

I remember fighting this issue quite awhile back on a daylight basement with furred out energy walls. I think I eventually gave in and only showed the upper wall in plan view and used cad lines to represent the lower wall. All I remember for sure is that I spent way way too much time dicking around with it.

Remember your mud sill is considered part of foundation walls if you have them set as foundation walls.  If that window is in that 1 1/2” mud sill area it will show as cut wall.  What happens if you make the window six inches shorter (higher). Another option if this is the case is add another layer before for your “foundation” with a 4” high height and setting the supply room above floor.  Then not setting these walls as foundation on your new level 1.

I use those types of pony walls on most of my projects as most of my projects have walk-out basements and that is how they've always behaved and still do. The only way around this is to use a reference layer set that with a separate saved plan view. Or CAD work.

image.thumb.png.a5da48d4574b634037eebc770366ae9f.png

Same window in elevation view

image.thumb.png.41545b245f8429e3e26a95cd4bfb00f5.png

No matter what I do with the window the lower wall is still 'cut'.

The only other thing I can think of to check is if you have "display openings in non-display parts of walls" set to "always" in your pony wall defaults.  If it's not this, then you should probably post your plan.

• Like 1

@DBCooper From what I can tell, these settings don't make a difference when "upper and lower' wall are both displayed. They don't control the display of the wall so much as they reference the opening when the containing portion of the wall is not displayed. So when both portions of wall are displayed, you get the full cut.

Chief replied.  They didn't understand my question to begin with, but now does:

Chief's response:

To do so:
1. Go to Edit>Default Settings>Walls>Pony Wall and click Edit
2. Go to the Wall Types Panel
3. Change the Display of Openings in Non-Displayed Parts of Walls to either Outline or Hide and click OK.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2023 at 9:01 AM, DBCooper said:

The only other thing I can think of to check is if you have "display openings in non-display parts of walls" set to "always" in your pony wall defaults.  If it's not this, then you should probably post your plan.

14 hours ago, DeLayDesign said:

Chief's response:
3. Change the Display of Openings in Non-Displayed Parts of Walls to either Outline or Hide and click OK.

Now the real question is who replied first? Gotta know who won!

• Like 1

I tested this with the lower wall as brick cladding framed, height 48" off zero floor.  If the window has no casing out and is set to 48.000 off floor, the wall is broken in plan view.  If the window is set to 48.00001 off floor, the wall is visible.  Same behavior with outside casing.  If the casing bottom edge is a 48, the wall display breaks.  Raise it off by 0.00001 and you get the display.

Other than in the pony wall dialog, where is this control dialog for Display In Plan View of Openings in Walls thing?