Garage Access Door - Step Down or Not

Good morning,

Are you inclined to or not to have a step down at the door between garage and house interior?

My research shows a step is not an IRC code requirement, perhaps to better facilitate accessibility or because self sealing doors with closers tend to solve any car fume concern.

I default to a step down as it seems like a good thing -- for water intrusion (i.e. hosing down slab), anti-vermin, and maybe just "psychology".

Or do you feel garage / interior at same level is okay?

Thanks, Jim

P.S.  BTW, I'm not asking about the door swing / landing topic, of which there has been "spirited" previous discussion.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

My preference - if possible - is to have about a 5-6 ft level area and then a step-down that acts as a wheel stop.  I usually have the door between the garage and the interior at a location so that's possible.

Thank you Joe.

Jim

1 hour ago, basketballman said:

Always been minimum of 4" height difference between garage and main living area.

Code cites Fire and also flood prevention ..

Can you reference the Code Sections for this?

The CRC (California version of the IRC) only specifies a slope for drainage.  I can't find anything about a height difference.  The 4" height difference was a requirement at one time in the old "Uniform Building Code" but I'm not sure if it was even required in the last UBC.  I don't think it's ever been required in the IRC or any version thereof.

Fire protection is another issue entirely covered by Doors and Walls.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Aging in place: I am doing a lot of 1 1/2" steps and some with flared "ramps" at the door so that they are not trip hazards and can accommodate future wheelchair use.

I use a 1 /12", 3 1/2", 5 1/2" etc. drops so they can be formed without ripping standard lumber.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/22/2023 at 10:54 AM, CharlesVolz said:

Aging in place: I am doing a lot of 1 1/2" steps

Charles,

Update -- ran it by my client and he elected to do no step down due to this very reason.  Better accessibility.

Jim

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/15/2023 at 4:15 PM, JKEdmo said:

Charles,

Update -- ran it by my client and he elected to do no step down due to this very reason.  Better accessibility.

Jim

This is what I plan to do for the garage and porches but the step is still required to make a slope in the foundation for water runoff.  I watched a few youtube videos on constructing a foundation step down but none of them show the step only being tall enough to accommodate the sloped slab.  I'm trying to figure out how this is constructed in the field and how many pours it takes.  Can the house slab and porches/garage slabs be poured at the same time with the configuration I described above (no step, slope only)?  Can the stem/curb wall be poured at the same time as the footings?

house rendering.png

3 hours ago, SkullMesaRanch said:

Can the house slab and porches/garage slabs be poured at the same time with the configuration I described above (no step, slope only)?  Can the stem/curb wall be poured at the same time as the footings?

I'm no concrete guy, but I'd assume so.  To achieve the design it'd be a means and methods item and up to the contractor.  You could also talk it through with a concrete subcontractor to see if there are any potential issues.

On 9/9/2023 at 2:13 PM, JKEdmo said:

I'm no concrete guy, but I'd assume so.  To achieve the design it'd be a means and methods item and up to the contractor.  You could also talk it through with a concrete subcontractor to see if there are any potential issues.

Thanks for the feedback, Jim.  I just met with my excavation contractor and he mentioned that (at least in AZ) that slopes in garages are no longer required.  I'll have to double check this with the county especially since they want to treat the barn like a garage. 

35 minutes ago, SkullMesaRanch said:

he mentioned that (at least in AZ) that slopes in garages are no longer required.

I'm a little surprised by this and you might want to double check his claim with your jurisdiction.

I took a quick look at your Cave Creek, AZ building department website.  They say they're on the 2021 IRC and it seems it is still a requirement to slope garage slabs.

In my experience, a slope of 1/8" per foot is about as flat as you can go realistically...

Here's excerpt from 2021 IRC:

image.thumb.png.4d3d356a202297b9b97e2574447da609.png

12 minutes ago, JKEdmo said:

I'm a little surprised by this and you might want to double check his claim with your jurisdiction.

I took a quick look at your Cave Creek, AZ building department website.  They say they're on the 2021 IRC and it seems it is still a requirement to slope garage slabs.

In my experience, a slope of 1/8" per foot is about as flat as you can go realistically...

Here's excerpt from 2021 IRC:

image.thumb.png.4d3d356a202297b9b97e2574447da609.png

We use the 2018 IRC here in Maricopa county but it still has the requirement.  I should have clarified my statement.  The contractor said you can get a waiver for this requirement. 

Check your local codes. This is current for California Residential code

R309.1Floor surface.

Garage floor surfaces shall be of approved noncombustible material.

The area of floor used for parking of automobiles or other vehicles shall be sloped to facilitate the movement of liquids to a drain or toward the main vehicle entry doorway.

• 1 month later...

That use to be a requirement back in the days, nowadays residential code doesn't have this requirement and can be done one level since the requirement for the garage floor should be sloped.

Many contractors still do a 4" rise I guess the old rule of thumb stuck with them, and so is some of the building inspectors but if you question them there is no code they can refer too.

• 1 month later...

Let's not confuse the Building Code Requirements with Good Building Practice. All Building Codes are based on the absolute minimum standards to build a home. They are not a representation of Good Building Practice. A step down or slope down into an attached garage may not be required, but I believe it is still a good idea. For one, it helps avoid water entering the house. Although the slab is sloped, it is minimal so we rely on Thresholds and Weather stripping to stop water but these can fail over time. A raised door threshold stops that. Also, we rely no weatherstripping stopping the ingress of fumes from the garage, but as noted above, with time, weatherstripping fails.  Gasoline fumes are heavier than air and will stay near the floor, a curb at the door is a good secondary level of defense.  

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For people who want minimal step, drop the floor system inside the foundation (crawlspace or basement).

Some designers have zero elevation change for people with mobility issues.

In Canada code requires the top of foundation walls to be at least 6" above grade.  Unless the joists are suspended, then add another 10-14" for floor assembly which means that unless there is some grade ramp to the garage floor, there must be stairs from the house to the garage slab.  (Or s sloping grade where the grade at the garage is higher than the grade at the house.)  Typically, the garage foundation wall also is 6" higher than the grade (so the garage slab is a curb with cuts for doors at grade).  I have seen very few houses with the garage slab at the same height as the main floor area.  They may have a dropped room (mudroom or laundry) that is close to the garage level then a step up to the main floor) but still, there is a step from that level to the garage.  It just works out that way.