Ceiling Heights

RobUSMC

Just a random question... Curious how many set there default finished ceiling height at 96" or 108" and so on versus 96-5/8" or 108-5/8" from floor to ceiling 1/2" drywall?  I've seen several plans from others that have set their finished ceiling heights at 96" or 108", so on.  Old school framers would cut 96" 2 x 4 to 91-1/2" and with a double top plate and single bottom would give a rough height of 96-1/2" and a true 96" with 1/2" drywall but with todays pre-cut studs at 92-5/8 versus the site cut 91-1/2" leaves a 5/8" difference from the slab to the drywall. In some older homes, I have in fact used my laser measurer from a slab or from very thin vinyl flooring to the ceiling drywall and get a height of 96" so in fact the rough framing height was 96-1/2".  Again I was just curious what others do.

Ceiling Heights.png

50 minutes ago, RobUSMC said:

Again I was just curious what others do

this question has come up before and It mainly depends on Locality and whether you are doing New Build or Remodels I think, as precuts studs come is slightly different lengths depending on where you are, eg East Coast vs West Coast etc and these days Code for Ceilings is now 5/8" DW in many places. Personally I have never framed the Walls so the DW is tight to the floor though. (Think minor out of level conditions and minor water leaks etc)

M.

1 hour ago, RobUSMC said:

Old school framers would cut 96" 2 x 4 to 91-1/2" and with a double top plate and single bottom would give a rough height of 96-1/2" and a true 96" with 1/2" drywa

91.5 + 1.5 +1,5+1.5= 96. So if one puts half inch drywall on the ceiling  first aren't you short half inch when you go to put drywall on the wall?

It's about drywall.  5/8 at ceiling, two 48" boards, the rockers have that little lever in their pocket to jack the lower board tight to the upper one already screwed on, the bottom gap is 1/2".  9 foot walls get 54 inch boards.  Thus 97 1/8" and 109 1/8".

• Upvote 1