video card

vikiw_bend

6 minutes ago, vikiw_bend said:

It looks like I may have to upgrade my video card. I have an RTX3080 but it's acting weird. Moving up to the RTX4070 seems the logical choice, but which version? Any advice out there?

What's happening with your video, have you idownloaded the most recent video driver?

Yes, I updated the driver. In Chief, dashed lines aren't showing up dashed unless you zoom in, both in plans and in layouts. In general, while I'm typing text some of the letters momentarily disappear as though I haven't typed them, then they come back. There have been flickering issues with this driver, so I downloaded the bug fix that was released yesterday, but it didn't help, so I went back. I also rolled back to a previous driver version, that didn't help either. That's why I'm thinking something might be wrong with the card itself.

28 minutes ago, vikiw_bend said:

Also, in Chief, when you do something like export a .jpg of a plan view with lines that are supposed to be dashed, they come out just straight lines.

I think this warrants further discussion with chief tech support. I have a hard time believing your 3080 card has anything wrong with it.

• Upvote 2

HI Rene, Tech Support and I have been exchanging thoughts and questions and trying different things. The problem does not come up on their computer. So far, no solution. I hope they find an answer. That card cost a chunk of change! I also have a hard time believing such a quality card could be defective, but it's possible, no?

Maybe a few more details would be helpful like what driver version you were using and what you updated to.

I am definitely having the text typing issue you describe but have not noticed it in Chief.  It has been showing up in Outlook for me.

I would test the dashed line .jpg issue if I knew exactly what version and update of chief you are using along with the line style/weight and .jpg resolution and viewer etc....

Lots of others that have either the same video card or are running the same driver in a similar card that can test different scenario's.

I am actually suspicious that I might have a display cable issue so I swapped that out the other day and am currently testing the new one.

I am running the latest update of X15, build 25.2.0.5.3, Windows 64 bit. The Nvidia driver is 535.98. Searching online, I learned that many people are having flickering issues with that driver, which was actually just released late last month. Just yesterday Nvidia put out a bug fix, 536.09. I downloaded and installed it, but it didn't fix the dashed line issue. I also went backwards to 531.41, that didn't help either. I tried unplugging each of my monitors in turn and trying Chief again, that had no effect.

Hi Vicki, hope you are doing well. If you are comfortable opening up your computer, you can try removing the card, dusting it off and reinstalling it. Sometimes, the card isn't seated well in the slot, I had a similar issue several years ago and this helped. It could also be an underpowered power supply? Its certainly worth a try.

14 hours ago, vikiw_bend said:

I also have a hard time believing such a quality card could be defective, but it's possible, no?

Yes, but I suspect it is still under Warranty  ( most have 3yrs, some 5yrs ) so you should be starting a case with the Manufacturer too.

I have had good luck with 531.61 myself, though TS recently suggested the latest when I had some crashes, but the driver was not the Issue.

M.