Chief Architect "BattleStation" Desk Setups

CFaasDFCo

I know this topic has been covered in several different ways but I was wondering if we could start a thread showcasing user setups with pictures of there desk layout and maybe a clearer explanation of the "why" they set it up the way the did and how they utilize it (i.e. what primarily is on which monitor (and why), desk space for XXX, etc.) I will say I have moved my set up 5 times now in the last year and even tried using a 50" TV just to get a feel for if monitor real estate was my missing link and still I'm not happy with my setup and it ultimately leads to being less efficient with my work flow. I know there is no such thing as the "ULTIMATE" setup but I think learning from each other can really help and knowing the why is (to me) the most important piece. So I think something like this can not only help us that are newer but also help more experienced users get alternate perspectives.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, CFaasDFCo said:

Thanks Joe, 1. which tvs are those 2.likes and dislikes about your setup 3.Why did you go this route? (no wrong answers here) 

See my signature.  Both screens are 55" 4K TVs.  I just like to be able to have text as large as possible to minimize the need to zoom in and out.

• Upvote 1

3840x1600 primary monitor (I'll NEVER go back to a 16x9 as my primary display again) and 2 2560x1440s on the sides. Primary always runs chief. Left monitor usually runs my browser (emails, forums, IRC, parcel viewer, etc.) and the right generally runs PDFs, pictures, or youtube/plex for videos while working. The right monitor is also on a fully articulating arm so that when clients sit on the opposite side of the desk I can move the monitor to keep it between us for easy reference.

Google display below for calendar/time/smart home controls. Phone site below as well on a stand.

43" TV on the wall between my draftsman's and my desks. It is used as digital signage, rotating wallpaper of projects we've worked on (clients love this and frequently use images that pop up as a reference when the meet us in office) or our project management queue in Trello.

My draftsman sits behind me and hooks his laptop up to an ultrawide primary display in the middle with a 16x9 on the opposite side, also giving him a 3 display setup like mine.

I use a Master MX Master 3 mouse, the extra per app controls are extremely useful in Chief. I'm a keyboard nerd and have built a ton, this setup works best for me. 65% with a macropad to the left, the macropad has a handful of hotkeys for chief tied to it as well as being a numberpad. I'll eventually pick up a spacemouse, I just don't have much space for it...

I think that covers everything?

20230607_082351.jpg

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, KenL-sdd said:

@plannedRITE Ethan, what is your center monitor model? I might change out my center monitor.

LG 38GN950-B

Excellent monitor, I spent too long researching before pulling the trigger on this one. I always refer to rtings.com when it comes to purchasing monitors.

The renewed one is darn cheap on Amazon right now, I'm shocked.

7 minutes ago, plannedRITE said:

LG 38GN950-B

Excellent monitor, I spent too long researching before pulling the trigger on this one. I always refer to rtings.com when it comes to purchasing monitors.

The renewed one is darn cheap on Amazon right now, I'm shocked.

Thanks. Ken Latham.

• Like 1

Still working on mine, trying to figure out layout before I start rebuilding the desk itself. Should look like a spaceship desk when I’m done.

i think progress pix are fun.

both my desktop and laptop as well as gpu are all tapped into this desk. To the right is an 11’ screen tapped into them as well. The block work(mdf) flanks the 11’ screen with sound reactive and segmented LEDs that line the room 

IMG_3602.thumb.jpeg.2debb44a79269de343bd825b6d9c8e55.jpeg

70212061395__AD0A2FEA-4744-42DF-A14E-C9C668117CD3.jpeg

54 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Still working on mine, trying to figure out layout before I start rebuilding the desk itself. Should look like a spaceship desk when I’m done.

i think progress pix are fun.

both my desktop and laptop as well as gpu are all tapped into this desk. To the right is an 11’ screen tapped into them as well. The block work(mdf) flanks the 11’ screen with sound reactive and segmented LEDs that line the room 

IMG_3602.thumb.jpeg.2debb44a79269de343bd825b6d9c8e55.jpeg

70212061395__AD0A2FEA-4744-42DF-A14E-C9C668117CD3.jpeg

Rene, I'm surprised to see you went with a Samsung Display, from my experience they are extremely hard to read text on BUT that also could just be the ones I used/saw. They do make great renderings though! (so that probably makes sense for the rendering god).

Thanks for all of the other inputs its really got me thinking more and more about how I want to proceed. I work in a converted attic space so very little ambient lighting and no windows. I have been toying with the idea of getting the Aorus FV43U and just segmenting the screen real estate with fancyzones to mimic a ultrawide with supplemental windows I currently use the LG 34GP83A-B (which is amazing) and a Samsung M7 Smart Monitor (which is terrible). With the extremely poor quality from the Samsung, I basically just don't use it so my screen real estate is mostly on the LG which is terrible for workflows. 

Thanks everyone for the input!

17 minutes ago, CFaasDFCo said:

Rene, I'm surprised to see you went with a Samsung Display,

This is a super old screen, one of the first gen 4K 120hz. I’ve spent so much $$ on equipment the last 3 years, I’m not ready to drop any more on a screen, 

never had any problems reading text on this though :) I would prefer the ultra wide curved monitors honestly.. this thing is an ergonomic nightmare 

Just now, Renerabbitt said:

This is a super old screen, one of the first gen 4K 120hz. I’ve spent so much $$ on equipment the last 3 years, I’m not ready to drop any more on a screen, 

never had any problems reading text on this though :) I would prefer the ultra wide curved monitors honestly.. this thing is an ergonomic nightmare 

Man, you are missing out. Hop on the 21:10 curved ultrawide bandwagon and never look back!

14 minutes ago, plannedRITE said:

Man, you are missing out. Hop on the 21:10 curved ultrawide bandwagon and never look back!

Can you post a screen shot of Chief running on that one?

Seems like having 38" would stretch things, but you also have two flanking monitors.

I've got a 55" 4k monitor on my standing desk, so I rotate sitting and standing every hour.

I do like not having to strain to see details.  I'm going to have to rethink my setup now.

20230607_133744.jpg

Edited by jtcapa1
upload picture

7 minutes ago, jtcapa1 said:

Can you post a screen shot of Chief running on that one?

Seems like having 38" would stretch things, but you also have two flanking monitors.

I've got a 55" 4k monitor on my standing desk, so I rotate sitting and standing every hour.

I do like not having to strain to see details.  I'm going to have to rethink my setup now.

20230607_133744.jpg

Sure, here is a screenshot-image.thumb.png.955149dc59ff52b7bb194ba044ff6fae.png

6 minutes ago, jtcapa1 said:

Wow, that is a lot of visual space! Do you need to adjust your font sizes so you can read all the menu's?

Not at all, it works beautifully out of the box. Other than when I'm not in office and using Chief on a laptop or hooked up to a TV, I've only every used ultrawides with Chief. Prior to this one I used a typical 21:9 34" that I moved to my draftsman's desk. The extra space is wonderful to work with while not requiring me to move back and forth between monitors. 

• 1 month later...

I have 4 LG 32” monitors at 3840x2160 resolution, and a 65” 4K TV in the conference room with a wireless mouse and keyboard. I normally use the top monitor for File Explorer, Sharepoint, and Outlook, then the other 3 monitors for plan view, elevation view, and 3D view. The 65” TV mirrors the middle monitor, which I use for presentations in meetings. 

I use a 30”x60” side table for laying out original plans when working on renovations. I also have a mic and webcam at my desk and in the conference room for virtual meetings. 

IMG_7779.jpeg

My office. My employees call it my Marine bunker.  A 32" curved center display, flanking 30" displays and a 40" upper display. Logitech MX Master mouse.  Use my iPad Pro for my notes and site photos. I'm also tied into our conference rooms 50" TV display for presentations.

IMG_3553.jpg