Very Small Dashed Line Style?

ACADuser

I am doing details in a CAD Detail in the plan file.

I want to draw in actual size. So when I draw a 12"x12" rectangle & want to add a hidden line (very small dashed line) the start & end segments are too large. Is there a line scale setting for that CAD detail workspace?

If not I need a much smaller line definition, but can not create it. I must be missing some critical information.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

CA Linestyle2.JPG

CA Linestyle.JPG

If it looks right on layout when you send the cad detail to it, then your drawing scale or page size is probably wrong in the detail.  Just open the detail and go into your "drawing sheet setup".

Also, the start and end pieces are controlled by your preferences.  Take a look at your "endcap printed length" and you can make it smaller if you want.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

In the over 20 years I've been using Chief I have NEVER been able to create a dashed line that has small enough dashes for my uses, in Plan or Layout, custom lines, custom dashes, just never small enough. Gave up years ago.

I'm going to call this the Chiefer Paradox.  A situation where you can't achieve Requirement X with the tools given (or at least without putting in more effort than is desired) so you change your approach to alleviate that requirement altogether.  If the requirement was alleviated, was it really ever a requirement at all? 

By the way, in addition to the tips given by @DBCooper above, you can also simply create a Line Style with extremely small dashes:

Dash.thumb.jpg.2c9da569e85bcc76f12b408567a9816b.jpg

Its all about Drawing Scale, actual Line Style Settings, and Use Layout Line Scaling settings.  If you want to see it in plan exactly as it will be printed on paper though:

• Make sure Print Preview or Line Weights are toggled on when viewing in Plan.  I prefer Print Preview because it can be toggled independently in Plan and Layout.  I usually don't want to see the line weight in Plan but almost always want to see them in Layout.
  • Set your Drawing Scale in Plan to match the scale at which it will be displayed in Layout
  • Set the Drawing Scale in Layout to 1:1
  • Make sure to Use Layout Line Scaling for your Layout Box

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I'm going to call this the Chiefer Paradox.  A situation where you can't achieve Requirement X with the tools given (or at least without putting in more effort than is desired) so you change your approach to alleviate that requirement altogether.  If the requirement was alleviated, was it really ever a requirement at all? 

This is perfect :)

2 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Too true and for years I have wanted smaller dashed lines but for some unknown reason :P I've been creating plans all those years with dashed lines that are too wide. Thanks Michael for reaffirming some pre-existing internal insight.

As an aside I can't enter .0001 into either dbx on my system but I guess it wasn't "really ever a requirement at all."

As an aside I can't enter .0001 into either dbx on my system...

Sure you can but it will display rounded down to 0" unless you go into "number style" and change the setting to display decimal inches in your dialogs.  The value sticks but it looks like it doesn't.  I think this will happen with any value less than 1/128".  I remember back when the dialog wouldn't display anything less than 1/16" which was super annoying.

I can't tell you how many times over the years that I changed my design just because I couldn't figure out an easy way to model it in Chief.  But then again, I have also changed my designs plenty of other times just because I realized it would be a pain to build in the real world.  That must be why none of my houses have stairs.  :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Thanks You guys but I'm missing something and perhaps Alan the OP too?

Most glaring issue right off the top is that you're creating a Line Style in the current plan but then you're selecting the from the Library.  Your new Line Style won't be in the Library unless you put it there.  It will only exist in the current plan. 

Also, when you are simply selecting from the drop-down, you're doing so too haphazardly and not deliberately enough.  The drop down list order actually matches the order as its defined in the Line Style Management dialog (notice the Move Up and Move Down controls) meaning your TinyDash line style should be the top one in your list and not at the bottom where you're thinking it is. 

It should be noted that you can view the name of the Line Style by choosing from the dropdown and then floating over the selected Line Style:

Pic.thumb.jpg.9aee50fcb193c447c36029e3895474bf.jpg

It should also be noted that you can have multiple Line Styles using the same name so knowing the order or what the line should look like can be important.

Lastly, don't forget the importance of setting the Drawing Scale as was already mentioned.  This is a huge piece of the puzzle.

• Upvote 2

Oh My Freaking GOD! I/we did it! I/we did it! THANK YOU Michael so much for the kick in the behind to get it done. I kinda sorta knew everything you described but haven't played for so long it all slipped away. I ended up with a 1/64th dash with a 1/64th space and a slightly smaller line weight and that should work for the next 20 years!! Thank you so much again. Really appreciate it. And hope it helps Alan in some way to make the thread highjack worthwhile.

DASHED LINE 2.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Larry,

And just to tidy it up, in your video you asked bout the longer dashes at the start and End of the dashed lines.

DB gave you the answer in an earlier post:

Also, the start and end pieces are controlled by your preferences.  Take a look at your "endcap printed length"

Preferences>CAD>Line Properties>Endcap Printed Length.

• Upvote 1