Setting Default layer for elevations

andymcg

Good morning. I've been experiencing an issue that mostly seems to arise when we import Canvas files for our as-builts. When I go to shoot an elevation view (while in my NKBA default sets) they want to come in on odd layers. For instance, on this plan today they want to come in on the HVAC, Plumbing layer. I have checked every default that I know of - camera tools, default sets, annotation defaults, etc. and cannot seem to find where it is misfiring. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

image.thumb.png.55165da97ffc016a4a418169aa0ce6f5.png 

3 hours ago, andymcg said:

Good morning. I've been experiencing an issue that mostly seems to arise when we import Canvas files for our as-builts. When I go to shoot an elevation view (while in my NKBA default sets) they want to come in on odd layers. For instance, on this plan today they want to come in on the HVAC, Plumbing layer. I have checked every default that I know of - camera tools, default sets, annotation defaults, etc. and cannot seem to find where it is misfiring. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Looks Like your Dimensions are Set to use the Wrong Layer but you don't say what you are doing when the Popup occurs....

M.

1 hour ago, andymcg said:

Still need help with the original question. 

No, no....signature first!!

Just kidding. I admittedly haven't used Canvas to import anything so my first question is, when you bring it in is it like bringing a CAD file in? In other words, does it give you the option to map the layers coming in during the import process?

I'm trying to do Auto NKBA dimensions. On my defaults, that is set to be Dimensions, Kitchen and bath and I can't figure out where they have it set to be on the Hvac, plumbing layer. 

When we use Canvas, we always import our Saved Plan Views, Layer Sets, and Default sets.

1 hour ago, joey_martin said:

Just kidding. I admittedly haven't used Canvas to import anything so my first question is, when you bring it in is it like bringing a CAD file in? In other words, does it give you the option to map the layers coming in during the import process?

Canvas now supplies a NATIVE Chief .PLAN file I believe and will even use a Supplied Template.

* At least this is my understanding from the Forum I have not used them as I don't have the Hardware needed.

M.

Thanks so much for responding everyone. I did go in to look at my active defaults and they're all correct. And yet when I try to Auto NKBA dimensions they're still coming in on the Hvac, Plumbing dimensions.

image.thumb.png.30358e4c01bbc619426c305000dd0a6a.png

20 hours ago, joey_martin said:

19 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Canvas now supplies a NATIVE Chief .PLAN file I believe and will even use a Supplied Template.

* At least this is my understanding from the Forum I have not used them as I don't have the Hardware needed.

M.

So Canvas will supply a plan file but it is greatly dependent upon who was contracted by them (most of them I have seen come out of India and the middle east) how it is done.  I believe most are drawing it in another program and then importing the dwg file using cad to wall tools etc.  I have seen some super weird plans come back.  I got to the point that I don't recommend using their .plan files and just getting the pdf report to trace over.  I recently had one for a client that had walls that were literally set as single layer and 3/4" thick for an exterior wall and the next room over sharing the same wall was 10" and had several weird layers in it.  The wall IRL was literally a standard 2x6 framed wall w/ 7/16" sheathing and lap siding with 1/2" drywall...  I just printed that file to a pdf to scale and traced over it in my own template.  Granted not all that I have seen have been that bad but that particular job was also off by about 20"+ from the upstairs walls.  It's an extremely well priced service but you better take some control dimensions.

Yikes! We've been using them a ton this past year and never had anything come back more than and 1-2" off. They certainly draw some details oddly, but nothing that has made us think about stop using them. It's such a timesaver. This weird dimension thing is the only annoying thing that occurs sometimes.