Memory Error X13 - 3D Viewer

DeLayDesign

Hey All!

I've used Chief for 13 years and in all that time I've never had to use the 3D viewer.  However a client would like to.

Their property is enormous. The home is already huge, and they want to add additional spaces to it.  I follow the tutorials on exporting the model for 3D viewer, but I am getting an error message when I try to open it saying there isn't enough memory?  

I've contacted Chief about it, but does anyone know if there is a work around?

TIA

Adam.

3D viewer Error.JPG

Did tech suggest you look at this article ? 

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-03044/optimizing-a-chief-architect-plan-for-export-to-the-3d-viewer.html

The viewer is unfortunately not capable of displaying a large and highly detailed model.  I have only been able to utilize it for small projects.

If you think there is an issue with your system you can always post the link here and we can see if we get the same results.

• Upvote 1

I've contacted Chief about it, but does anyone know if there is a work around?

The Trial Version will open a model. Unfortunately this is a slippery slope.  Giving a client the model could only be likened to handing the keys to the car to a ten year old. They'll start asking for changes, and ultimately, it's better to keep the work methodology a mystery. 

Option A...

If they're only interested in the exterior, what you could do is take an archived plan. Do a "Shift select" and delete every interior wall and object on each floor. That would greatly reduce the model for an upload to the viewer. 

Option B...

-Have you tried exporting your project as a 3ds or .dae model only?

-Or perhaps even converting the entire house into a symbol?

...then you could open a new plan file, import the model (or symbol), and try uploading that to the 3D viewer.  

This may or may not greatly reduce the file size for the client viewer, but it's possibly worth a try. 

3 minutes ago, DeLayDesign said:

According to Chief your file has to be less than 50 MB;  This file is far more than that.  :(

Oh wow...that is news .....It used to be 99mb per plan I think? , times must be tough at CA, reducing bandwidth there and here on the Forum

( 25mb > 14mb) and may also explain why it doesn't work for me sometimes too, though in X13 even when it does, EVERYTHING is

highly overexposed and doesn't look as good as in Chief Natively...... ( Standard View ) it also forces you to load "basic View then you have

to change the Render Type to Standard ...bandwidth again?  but who want's to look at Basic View?

M.   

41 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Oh wow...that is news .....It used to be 99mb per plan I think? , times must be tough at CA, reducing bandwidth there and here on the Forum

( 25mb > 14mb) and may also explain why it doesn't work for me sometimes too, though in X13 even when it does, EVERYTHING is

highly overexposed and doesn't look as good as in Chief Natively...... ( Standard View ) it also forces you to load "basic View then you have

to change the Render Type to Standard ...bandwidth again?  but who want's to look at Basic View?

M.   

This client wants to see and be able to move around their home which is almost 10K sq. ft. plus their plat to make sure their new addition doesn't interfere with some elements on the property they want to keep.

Any thoughts how how I might accomplish this?  Right now the 3D view is saying my plans are 348 MB so trying to bring it down to 50 is going to be impossible. 

You might want to check out using the free desktop viewer instead of the mobile app.  If the client has a fairly capable computer (one that can run X13), it will allow them open and view the plan.  You will need to send them the plan file and all of the external referenced files.  We recommend using the Backup Entire Plan tool to do this.

You can request the desktop viewer here:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/resources/viewerrequest.php

Some other options would be to send them exported images, a 360 Panorama image, a 3D model (they will need something to view it with though), or a recorded walkthrough.

4 minutes ago, Dermot said:

If the client has a fairly capable computer (one that can run X13)

Not very likely since a lot us us can't even run all the features of  X13 unless of course their kids have the absolute latest gaming systems.

43 minutes ago, DeLayDesign said:

Any thoughts how how I might accomplish this?  Right now the 3D view is saying my plans are 348 MB so trying to bring it down to 50 is going to be impossible.

I have not tried a file quite that large but if you want to totally avoid the use of a cloud viewer service you could try an embedded 3D PDF.  It is old technology but I think it is still better than the 3D viewer at this point but not as good as the Client viewer for image quality.

16 minutes ago, Dermot said:

You might want to check out using the free desktop viewer

Just A Warning to those reading, while this will work IF they have the Hardware, be aware YOU ARE GIVING YOUR CLIENT THE FULL CHIEF PLAN .

So make sure their Account is upto date etc as once they have that digital file ........

M.

Not very likely since a lot us us can't even run all the features of  X13 unless of course their kids have the absolute latest gaming systems.

You don't actually need a very good computer to run the desktop viewer.  Keep in mind that the viewer doesn't have all of the features that are in Premier (and it can't even do real time raytracing).  All you need is one that meets the minimum system requirements. 

PC Minimum

• Windows 10 / 11 64-bit
  • 8 GB of RAM
  • Video Card
    •     2 GB of RAM
    •     DirectX 12
  • 5 GB of available hard disk space
  • Internet access

4 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Just A Warning to those reading, while this will work IF they have the Hardware, be aware YOU ARE GIVING YOUR CLIENT THE FULL CHIEF PLAN .

So make sure their Account is upto date etc as once they have that digital file ........

M.

Never used the desktop viewer option but seems what is said here;

11 hours ago, VHampton said:

The Trial Version will open a model. Unfortunately this is a slippery slope.  Giving a client the model could only be likened to handing the keys to the car to a ten year old. They'll start asking for changes, and ultimately, it's better to keep the work methodology a mystery. 

Option A...

If they're only interested in the exterior, what you could do is take an archived plan. Do a "Shift select" and delete every interior wall and object on each floor. That would greatly reduce the model for an upload to the viewer. 

Option B...

-Have you tried exporting your project as a 3ds or .dae model only?

-Or perhaps even converting the entire house into a symbol?

...then you could open a new plan file, import the model (or symbol), and try uploading that to the 3D viewer.  

This may or may not greatly reduce the file size for the client viewer, but it's possibly worth a try. 

would work in principle.

1.) Create a full symbol from the model.

2.) Place symbol into a chief oob template plan with just the terrain info copied over.

3.) Send client that plan file for them to view.

Again never used it but it seems like this would work.?.?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rgardner said:

1.) Create a full symbol from the model.

2.) Place symbol into a chief oob template plan with just the terrain info copied over.

3.) Send client that plan file for them to view.

Yes that would protect you from loosing the contents of your plan file and custom template.

The only issue I see with that is it would limit the number of tools you could use with the Client Viewer or Trial Version.

You still may run into rendering issues with a Minimum Requirements system though as the surface count would remain the same.

As previously mentioned I don't see any benefit of going through the symbol process for the 3D View as that is essentially what the 3D Viewer does any way.

8 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Yes that would protect you from loosing the contents of your plan file and custom template.

The only issue I see with that is it would limit the number of tools you could use with the Client Viewer or Trial Version.

You still may run into rendering issues with a Minimum Requirements system though as the surface count would remain the same.

As previously mentioned I don't see any benefit of going through the symbol process for the 3D View as that is essentially what the 3D Viewer does any way.

Yeah again never tried it but it would probably save you from a few headaches with the clients. Pretty sure the model still keeps its independent materials definitions so should be able to still use the paint materials tool.  Wouldn’t be able to add furniture or change furniture.  But then again we don’t want it to be too easy right…

And yeah I just use the 3d viewer if possible although I hate that stupid basic view as it gives them the first impression that we did it with crayons.

On a side... the Clay rendering technique is a wonderful preliminary view tool in that it provides the design concept in such a clean manner. Per the original poster's intent (in providing the client with some spatial relationships only) this could be a good approach. There's no need for detail, and better yet, it pretty much shuts the door on them being able to play architect.

Wondering if making a clay view and then exporting that as a symbol would work. Then open a new plan and export the model to the Chief viewer? If all else fails, you make quick movie file and upload it to YouTube or Vimeo. It tells whole story and they can freeze frame when necessary. 

Per my initial suggestion... in retrospect, that's not a really great idea (to suggest that they download the trial version), Even though it would work, most younger clients grew up playing video games and things of that nature. Their perceived expertise can often entitle them to want to join in as co-designer which can prove to be quite an undesirable experience. 

11 minutes ago, VHampton said:

Wondering if making a clay view and then exporting that as a symbol would work. Then open a new plan and export the model to the Chief viewer?

Great idea but Clay is a rendering technique not a way to change all the materials of the entire model.  We have Basic and Standard rendering as well as Glass House with the 3D viewer.  You could perhaps create a duplicate plan file an change all your material patterns to a clay style then it would appear that way in the 3D viewer basic rendering as clay but I can almost guarantee you if the client knows how they will view in Standard rendering so you would also need to change all of your material textures in the whole plan to clay.