The New Mono Slab to Existing Raised Floor challenge

dshall

The New Mono Slab to Existing Raised Floor challenge:

... so yesterday CA had an online foundation build workshop.  I posed a problem that I have,  it was suggested I send in the plan.  I have sent it in,  but the issue has not been solved......  for my particular circumstance.  Let's just say nobody has fixed my plan to show me what I might be doing wrong.

This morning Larry Hawes suggested I post it on the forum to see if any of you smart guys can come up with a solution.  I thought....  "what a great idea,  I should of thought of that". So here it is.

The challenge is to make my BBBB wahl 7a slab to raised floor puzzle 1 look like my bbbb my own slab to stem wall  2 plan.........  WHERE THE NEW MONO SLAB MEETS THE EXISTING RAISED FLOOR ASSEMBLY.  

I have included both plans plus colored pictures with directives.  

HERE IS LINK TO PROBLEM PLAN

https://www.dropbox.com/s/67qj2rp62gapp53/BBBB wahl 7a slab to raised floor puzzle 1.plan?dl=0

1290333744_Wahlnotgood3d.png.ca66ee1ecc4fc9109efcfe43cdc5de17.png   1409200801_Wahlbetterbuthadtodragwalldown.png.f9ecc6c80182f65983d6a72ee394afe4.png

HERE IS A GOOD PLAN

bbbb my own slab to stem wall 2.plan

319988902_bbbperfect3d.thumb.png.26b4d66360b498cd687cbc707c5684ca.png1026654889_bbbperfect2d.thumb.png.73ce475eebdeb0bf51c4cff1a034bb8a.png

Thanks guys,  you are the best.  Steve you are correct.  Existing condition so I cannot move stem wall to make it work.

Rene kind of hit on the reason,  the location of the center of conc. stem wall relative to wall at level above (center of stem wall must be just outside of the upstairs wall width).  

The easy fix is to use a conc. stem wall that is just wider than the wall above (3.5 * 2 = 7"min)

Steve, the added stem wall idea was interesting however when I tried it,  I would not get the sill plate for the joists to auto build.  In your vid you had the sill plate but I have a feeling you did not have auto build framing on so it was left over.  Would you mind double checking that?  Please rebuild the framing and see if you get the sill plate to return.

Thanks again guys,  such a great forum.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Greg_NY61 said:

In a situation like this, I wouldn't "abut" crawl space to mono slab, I would do slab on grade matching existing floor.  

The crawl space is existing.  The slab is new.

I am not sure what you are suggesting.

Very common occurrence out here.

2 minutes ago, dshall said:

The crawl space is existing.  The slab is new.

I am not sure what you are suggesting.

Very common occurrence out here.

My mistake I thought it was the other way around. Just dealt with the same issue, existing mono slab with a crawlspace addition, it made no sense to have a crawlspace so we changed it to slab on-grade. 

@dshall

Scott - you are correct, when rebuilding the framing the plate does disappear...of course it's easy enough to manually place a plate there...but, yea, because it's a pony wall the plate actually wants to build on the top of the wall...so, my "open no material" idea works somewhat...but ultimately it's only an illusion.

One thing that is important to notice....when I changed the foundation wall to an 8" conc. stem wall...the foundation fixed itself. The monoslab abutting the foundation doesn't seem to have anything to do with the weird behavior of the 6" conc. stem wall extending through the floor framing. 

Nice job Steve.  I have a few other projects like this I am having issues with and I will let you know if the pour group fixes it.

This tip should help  a bunch of us mono-slabbers

BTW,  the back slab is existing and is 7" higher.