All ceiling heights change when I try to edit one?

brandonorie

20 hours ago, brandonorie said:

Even if I use room dividers and try to edit a ceiling/roof height every ceiling in the building changes simultaneously? Why is this happening?

You will need to provide more info and perhaps the Plan as I don't have this issue..... at least not in this quick test plan

image.thumb.png.91c3a5ea2a028a43946ff065d4b6c423.png

Mick.

I set the default settings to 12' ceilings in the beginning and then used a room divider to section off a bumpout. I clicked in the room definition to change just this one room, however it changes the ceiling height for the whole building.

This can happen if you have a floor above.  When you adjust the ceiling height on the lower floor and that ceiling above is composed of multiple floor systems, the adjacent floor system(s) will move up/down to suit your changes because they're part of the ceiling that you're moving up.  There are a few ways around this but the best method depends entirely on your specific plan details.

I figured it out everybody. Thank you so much. I had already built the roof and attic wall had been established over the garage. Not sure why this mattered...but when i deleted the attic walls and deleted the roof planes, I was able to change ceiling heights

• 1 year later...
On 8/9/2021 at 6:31 PM, Alaskan_Son said:

This can happen if you have a floor above.  When you adjust the ceiling height on the lower floor and that ceiling above is composed of multiple floor systems, the adjacent floor system(s) will move up/down to suit your changes because they're part of the ceiling that you're moving up.  There are a few ways around this but the best method depends entirely on your specific plan details.

Could you elaborate on the few ways around this?  I have my 3 story house designed and now trying to model mep.  All floors have 10' ceilings.  I have 16" floor joists for the 3rd floor floor.  I had designed my 2nd floor with various closets, etc lined up that I was going to model them as 8.5 or 9' ceilings so that I could have a transverse chase under the main 3rd floor trusses to run hvac.  Problem now is when I try to change the ceiling height of those various small spaces, doesn't matter what I change, the entire 3rd floor moves down.

Really hoping there is an easy way to resolve this.

9 minutes ago, pattyw said:

I had designed my 2nd floor with various closets, etc lined up that I was going to model them as 8.5 or 9' ceilings so that I could have a transverse chase under the main 3rd floor trusses to run hvac.

1.) Best to start your own post as this is a different problem.

2.) use a custom placed ceiling plane in those rooms as that is what it is designed to be used for.

36 minutes ago, rgardner said:

1.) Best to start your own post as this is a different problem.

2.) use a custom placed ceiling plane in those rooms as that is what it is designed to be used for.

Ok, sorry.  From my point of view, this is the same problem as what's happening in the OP's 1st comment is exactly what's happening to me.

I will reply to your 2nd option of ceiling planes in a new post.

1 hour ago, pattyw said:

Could you elaborate on the few ways around this?  I have my 3 story house designed and now trying to model mep.  All floors have 10' ceilings.  I have 16" floor joists for the 3rd floor floor.  I had designed my 2nd floor with various closets, etc lined up that I was going to model them as 8.5 or 9' ceilings so that I could have a transverse chase under the main 3rd floor trusses to run hvac.  Problem now is when I try to change the ceiling height of those various small spaces, doesn't matter what I change, the entire 3rd floor moves down.

Really hoping there is an easy way to resolve this.

Like I mentioned in my post:

On 8/9/2021 at 2:31 PM, Alaskan_Son said:

There are a few ways around this but the best method depends entirely on your specific plan details.

If you could post the plan in your other thread, that would be best.