Wrapping Cedar Post with Stone

Boogdaddy

42 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

I just manually set a p-solid base with stone texture, a p-solid cap with concrete texture, and a manually placed column on top of the cap.

Me too...very basic way to do this but works great.

However.....P L E A S E do NOT place your stone base on top of the porch slab. Stone bases need to be grounded, not setting on top of the slab... P L E A S E!!!!

image.thumb.png.698b7177a233fc0ec5ea4a2779115299.png

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Boogdaddy said:

I'm trying to figure out how to show how to partially wrap a cedar post with stone up to about 2'-3' high so that the post is exposed above the stone. Something similar to the photo attached. Can anyone give me some direction?  I have CA X12.

image.thumb.png.1465a80fb67299e86ce13c3e94a91f24.png

Check out this video...using just a single molding polyline you can create this post in a few minutes.  As the guys have mentioned above...using solids might be easier but this is a good exercise to learn. A molding polyline can be a powerful tool if used creatively....

@stevenyhof - you might like this video.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

@SNestor I've used your process shown in the video using the Molding Polyline tool. The shape came out just how I want it to. However, when I went to add the stone to the base, it's orienting the stone vertically rather than horizontally. I also tried it using various brick and stone finishes-they always end up oriented vertically. Same for adding Cedar to the wood post. The cedar grain is horizontal instead of running vertically along the post.

Any ideas?

41 minutes ago, Boogdaddy said:

@SNestor I've used your process shown in the video using the Molding Polyline tool. The shape came out just how I want it to. However, when I went to add the stone to the base, it's orienting the stone vertically rather than horizontally. I also tried it using various brick and stone finishes-they always end up oriented vertically. Same for adding Cedar to the wood post. The cedar grain is horizontal instead of running vertically along the post.

Any ideas?

Yes...I have an idea!  Check you this quick video: https://www.loom.com/share/bfb6008c3d8f4c19a2af14f01cb51cfa

• Like 1