Boogdaddy

Wrapping Cedar Post with Stone

Recommended Posts

I'm trying to figure out how to show how to partially wrap a cedar post with stone up to about 2'-3' high so that the post is exposed above the stone. Something similar to the photo attached. Can anyone give me some direction?  I have CA X12.

 

image.thumb.png.1465a80fb67299e86ce13c3e94a91f24.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of info available on the Chief site ...

 

 

ct1.thumb.png.9acdf56a5bca8fc27edd3f99e8244c1d.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would just use a couple of Moldings on a Molding Polyline the same size as the Post.

  • Column Molding (Rectangle with Stone Material)
  • Cap Molding (Rectangle with Concrete Material)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just manually set a p-solid base with stone texture, a p-solid cap with concrete texture, and a manually placed column on top of the cap.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

I just manually set a p-solid base with stone texture, a p-solid cap with concrete texture, and a manually placed column on top of the cap.

Thats the way I would do it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

I just manually set a p-solid base with stone texture, a p-solid cap with concrete texture, and a manually placed column on top of the cap.

Me too...very basic way to do this but works great.

 

However.....P L E A S E do NOT place your stone base on top of the porch slab. Stone bases need to be grounded, not setting on top of the slab... P L E A S E!!!!

image.thumb.png.698b7177a233fc0ec5ea4a2779115299.png

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Boogdaddy said:

I'm trying to figure out how to show how to partially wrap a cedar post with stone up to about 2'-3' high so that the post is exposed above the stone. Something similar to the photo attached. Can anyone give me some direction?  I have CA X12.

 

image.thumb.png.1465a80fb67299e86ce13c3e94a91f24.png

 

Check out this video...using just a single molding polyline you can create this post in a few minutes.  As the guys have mentioned above...using solids might be easier but this is a good exercise to learn. A molding polyline can be a powerful tool if used creatively....

 

@stevenyhof - you might like this video.

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @SNestor , always nice to see different ways to accomplish these things.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@SNestor I've used your process shown in the video using the Molding Polyline tool. The shape came out just how I want it to. However, when I went to add the stone to the base, it's orienting the stone vertically rather than horizontally. I also tried it using various brick and stone finishes-they always end up oriented vertically. Same for adding Cedar to the wood post. The cedar grain is horizontal instead of running vertically along the post.

 

Any ideas?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Boogdaddy said:

@SNestor I've used your process shown in the video using the Molding Polyline tool. The shape came out just how I want it to. However, when I went to add the stone to the base, it's orienting the stone vertically rather than horizontally. I also tried it using various brick and stone finishes-they always end up oriented vertically. Same for adding Cedar to the wood post. The cedar grain is horizontal instead of running vertically along the post.

 

Any ideas?

 

 

 

Yes...I have an idea!  Check you this quick video: https://www.loom.com/share/bfb6008c3d8f4c19a2af14f01cb51cfa

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    28446
    Total Members
    9156
    Most Online
    ShayKD
    Newest Member
    ShayKD
    Joined