Working In Plan Is Getting Slow

4hotshoez

Does the "render" mean standard 3D camera view (openGL)?

I think so. Few forums confuse the terminology around this like ChiefTalk.  :)  I was in another thread where people confuse realtime graphics with processed renderings, ray tracing, etc and I opted out.

yes Render is standard 3d OPenGL views  , you would need to upgrade the videocard to increase it's ram eg to a Nvidia 770 0r 970 card. eg to 2 or 3 GB  

More computer Ram ie 16 GB would help ALL programs

But neither may help much if you have some high poly count items in your plan eg of 3D warehouse.

it's slow in plan view or 3d view?

I actually don't think it really depends on the high poly count as it is Chief that is starting to become bogged down by lots of objects it has to keep track of. Ofcourse more polygons makes it heavier, but I can have millions and millions of polys in 3ds Max whereas software like Chief and Revit comes to a crawl at a fraction of that.

I can for example easily orbit and spin around my full model in 3D perspective, but the slightest adjustment sometimes takes forever. I've found ít most effective to close all possible tabs and layers to keep updating to a minimum.

Nicinus:

are you doing RT's that use cpu ram ???

and that are not using the video card ???

or is it only chief that makes that distinction ???

I'm not clear where the high poly count roadblock is

maybe CA's tech support can clarify ???

Lew

Nicinus:

are you doing RT's that use cpu ram ???

and that are not using the video card ???

or is it only chief that makes that distinction ???

I'm not clear where the high poly count roadblock is

maybe CA's tech support can clarify ???

Lew

I believe now that my issue is a combination of hardware, software and data. It is a bit slow in plan, 3D and RT, but it is still manageable for now as I am not so fast myself. But I wanted to know what others experience is with this plan and what suggestions so I can plan ahead in building a model and in requesting a hardware upgrade for Christmas (hope). Nevertheless, as I learn more of CA, the models will only get more complex with terrain, landscaping, interior furniture and more realistic textures and lighting for RT. I have done some RT, but it is too time consuming for now in setting things up, adding detail that slows me down and RT time.

Is there a lighting manager that allows you to control lights as a group after wiring them together like a light switch would? So far I have 300 lights and counting, which is a pain to go through the "adjust lights" dbx just to turn them on and off.

Todd:

I think one of the greatest suggestions I have seen for not having a plan get bogged down while you are working in it is to have your layer sets established such that anything you don't need to see, have it turned off in that layer set.  For example, if you are working on roof framing, you sure don't need a gob of stuff on for that:  turn off cabinets, fixtures, electrical, architectural blocks, stairs ... probably other stuff as well.  The set up of your layer sets and anno sets can really help you with your work speed.

I still am a bit forgetful about paying close attention to this myself, but when I do, it really helps.  It is all about getting into a good work practice methodology and sticking with it and/or refine it as you go.  If you digest some of the posts from users like Tommy, Scott, Perry, Joe, Jim and many many others and see how they work, this should help you in deciding what methods may work best for you with the way you work on your projects.  There are lots of ways to do things and hopefully you are chipping away at refining those practices as you learn and work with Chief.

• 5 weeks later...

I've got a question... Looking at a new computer. Can you guys give me an idea of some really good computer specs for a new one?  I want something that will give great graphics, walk-throughs and 3d views smoothly.  I'm not sure what X7 will require, so it needs to be something that will smoke for a few years. :-)

Debra