Working In Plan Is Getting Slow

4hotshoez

I suspect you mean 41 MBs. A blank plan is a lot more than that.

Yes, my mistake. How does that size compare to what most of you end up working with for a house of 7,000 SF? Assuming that people do houses of that size from time to time.

I have been thinking about posting the plan and have been wondering about confidentiality and copy-write issues. Not that I have reason not to trust people from this group, but how would I know? I could use the help but I need to ask how this works on the forum.

That's pretty much the base specs for running CAX6.

Model complexity also contributes to CA responsiveness.  For instance; I'm working a plan landscape and I use hundreds or 2D and 3D plant models.  While the 2D doesn't effect performance much, the high poly (many, many polygons) 3D models drag an 87MB landscape plan to a crawl.  However, the same project interior design plan @ 157MB is just fine as most symbols are low poly.

jon

Setup a unique folder within DB (I'm very clever and call mine Chief Architect Stuff) and follow the instructions to set your permissions.  It's easier doing this through the website than your local file system.

jon

I have a DropBox folder set up, but do need to put an email address for everyone who wants to download the file or is there another way?

Todd, I downloaded it and it is pretty slow for me too. Funny enough the file I\m working on myself is just about 40MB too at about 6,000sqf.

I have two screens and usually a 3D perspective on one and then floor plan on the other. I've noticed that it slows things down the more tabs I have open in parallel, as Chief needs to update in several places so I make sure to always close everything that isn't needed. I also keep open and visible layers to a bare minimum. But it becomes slow at a certain point, yes.

The undo is a pain and seems to be a special solution in Chief, it actually seems as if it reloads the last version of the whole plan from disk somehow. Not a memory buffed differential undo apparently.

It runs very slow for me. I suspect that the cage lanterns may be high poly with the round surfaces, also the stair railings with the panels at 90 deg . also there a a lot of cabinets which adds to file size.

I think jusrt turn off as muchas possible while working on the plan to speed things up.

There is a high poly cooktop in the kitchen. It may be hogging resources. The lanterns were CA default for outside wall lights. I may need to change those. The CAD file I am still referencing, but thanks for the tip, I will delete it as soon as I am done with it. I have been hiding interior objects while working on the roof and exterior. That did help significantly in orbiting with the mouse. I have like 200 lights and need to turn more off.

So is a RAM upgrade the biggest bang for the buck for files like these?

BTW, How do I fix the stair railing?

If your plan files are running slow for you then why not SENT IT TO TECH SUPPORT, or purchase a stronger computer. Apparently there are high poly count items and cad files that are possibly slowing you down. By now, you should know what to do. If you feel CA has poor programing, then hey, there are other programs out there that may suit your needs better.

• Downvote 2