Connecting Walls w/ Varying Thicknesses

kwhitt

I've got an as-built I'm starting this morning.  There are several walls with varying thicknesses that I need to connect correctly.  I am not so much worried about how they are actually framed, but want a clean connection for my floor plan view.  I am wondering the proper way to handle the attached situation.  I have drawn red CAD lines to denote the shape I'm trying to achieve.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Kevin

Connecting Walls.jpg

2020-02-24 10.37.03.jpg

CHF_David 1st Floor_AS-BUILT_02-25-20.plan

3 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I would just make the wall with the columns 13.5" thick and then create a "Doorway" without casings that starts 3.5" from the other walls.

Joe - thanks.  What I haven't drawn yet is a pantry behind this wall, so the 13.5" thickness does not apply to the space behind - only the 3.25" projection is this wide.  I suspect this projection was scabbed onto the interior 4 framing and was hoping to replicate it the same way.  I guess I'll know more when I start laying out the kitchen.

I suppose in this case, Alan's method would work and I could always use your suggestion of a doorway.  Thanks again.

I got three new issues with this plan.  How do I resolve the two circled intersections?  I've tried the wall intersection layer tool, but having no luck.  Also, there's a return air vent where marked and the framer used two 2 x 4 studs back to back.  Is there a way to get the walls to sit next to each other?  I'm having all kinds of weird things going on when I pull the outer wall over.  I will remove the drywall from this unfinished area, but wanted to know the process to keep CA from joining these walls.  Thanks again, Kevin

David.jpg

CHF_David 1st Floor_AS-BUILT_02-25-20_V2.plan

2 hours ago, kwhitt said:

I got three new issues with this plan.  How do I resolve the two circled intersections?  I've tried the wall intersection layer tool, but having no luck.  Also, there's a return air vent where marked and the framer used two 2 x 4 studs back to back.  Is there a way to get the walls to sit next to each other?  I'm having all kinds of weird things going on when I pull the outer wall over.  I will remove the drywall from this unfinished area, but wanted to know the process to keep CA from joining these walls.  Thanks again, Kevin

David.jpg

Do you know about the "Edit Intersection" tool?  I think this is all you need to fix these "intersections".  Also...double click the wall icon, open "general wall"...and change the resize about surface.  I find this helps quite a bit when trying to get intersections like these to work the way you want them.

2020-02-25_14-04-06.thumb.png.3acc30ce02f73a01e5ba41353b89b4e6.png  2020-02-25_14-08-19.thumb.png.a67bce0d159f13aa8063ee222d6164ae.png

17 hours ago, ACADuser said:

I joined the 90 deg walls first & the dragged the odd angle wall into them.

Double-wall, make the southernmost a wall with NO room definition

CA Wall Issues.JPG

Thanks Alan.  I've tried that a few times and my wall dimensions change.  When I attempt to correct their size, the joint breaks again.

15 hours ago, SNestor said:

Do you know about the "Edit Intersection" tool?  I think this is all you need to fix these "intersections".  Also...double click the wall icon, open "general wall"...and change the resize about surface.  I find this helps quite a bit when trying to get intersections like these to work the way you want them.

2020-02-25_14-04-06.thumb.png.3acc30ce02f73a01e5ba41353b89b4e6.png  2020-02-25_14-08-19.thumb.png.a67bce0d159f13aa8063ee222d6164ae.png

Steve - thanks for the input.  I do know about wall layer intersections, but not really sure what I'm doing in this case.  I've watched Chief's videos on the subject using X6, but they don't really go into a lot of explanation.  You wouldn't happen to have a video on your YouTube page, would you?  I believe I have watched all your videos and don't recall seeing one.  Is the goal here to miter the wall layers or connect them in another manner?  Resize about Inner Surface is my default setup as I do so many as-builts measured from the interior.  Thanks again for you help.  Kevin

15 hours ago, SNestor said:

Steve - When I select the smallest wall, I get 6 edit handles (image attached).  Are all 6 of these handles specific to this smallest wall or do they pertain to the adjacent walls too?  Sorry, but this is confusing to me and I can't see clearly what to do in this case.  My first thought is to create a miter, but moving the handles does not produce this...  Help!

edit handles.jpg

On 2/26/2020 at 5:30 AM, kwhitt said:

Steve - When I select the smallest wall, I get 6 edit handles (image attached).  Are all 6 of these handles specific to this smallest wall or do they pertain to the adjacent walls too?  Sorry, but this is confusing to me and I can't see clearly what to do in this case.  My first thought is to create a miter, but moving the handles does not produce this...  Help!

edit handles.jpg

OK...made a video.  Hope it helps... The wall layer intersection tool isn't that flexible...as you will see in the video.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SNestor said:

OK...made a video.  Hope it helps... The wall layer intersection tool isn't that flexible...as you will see in the video.

Wow.  Thanks Steve.  I definitely have a better understanding of how the tool works.  Putting some transparency on the framing layer really helped to see how CA was creating the intersections.  Again, the video is very much appreciated.  Kevin

• Upvote 2

A couple other little tips:

1.  You can always build walls out of multiple walls sandwiched together (not overlapping but sandwiched).  You can have a framing layer only wall and a drywall only wall that wraps around all those goofy problem corners.

2.  Don’t be afraid to simply use CAD masks were necessary.  You can just match the wall fill and use the invisible line style where necessary.  It’s really easy to spend a ridiculous amount of time trying to force a unique scenario to model perfectly when in reality it doesn’t really matter for anything except one or 2 views.  Spend two hours making the model perfect or spend three minutes and get the job done?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

A couple other little tips:

1.  You can always build walls out of multiple walls sandwiched together (not overlapping but sandwiched).  You can have a framing layer only wall and a drywall only wall that wraps around all those goofy problem corners.

2.  Don’t be afraid to simply use CAD masks were necessary.  You can just match the wall fill and use the invisible line style where necessary.  It’s really easy to spend a ridiculous amount of time trying to force a unique scenario to model perfectly when in reality it doesn’t really matter for anything except one or 2 views.  Spend two hours making the model perfect or spend three minutes and get the job done?

Thanks Michael.   You are correct on all points.  I didn't know the limitations of the tool until I saw Steve's video.  Having an AutoCAD background, I was hoping for perfect alignment; however, your recommendation of using a CAD mask will do the trick.  Thanks again!

On 2/25/2020 at 8:37 AM, kwhitt said:

David.jpg

couple of other Ideas to use too.....

image.thumb.png.cac51facd62e8015c22511397a417614.png

• Upvote 2

We need a "polygon" wall tool to handle these types of conditions.

The way it would work is that the wall could be manipulated by reshaping the 2x4 main layer like it was a p-solid and then the exterior and interior layers would simply follow/wrap around.  They have this in other programs.

It's not really how stick framing is built on site and a polygon wall, if we could have one, would be more suited for how concrete walls are poured but I'd be willing to give up the framing integrity for the convenience it would offer.

I do however appreciate Chief's approach to providing us with tools that truly represent how we build here in North America.

• Like 1