Best Workflow For Importing Dwg Details

Nicinus

I have some issues with 2D dwg import for details and just wanted to get some feedback on whether I've understood it correctly, or if there is a better way:

1) In order to import a dwg detail I create a new detail in 'CAD/detail management' in plan, and then import the dwg.

2) Hatch patterns are lost or converted to solid polylines.

3) I mapped all layers to a single layer, but created a new CAD, details in order to "minimize" the mess

For some reason all notes disappear in the import. Initially my dimension notes disappeared as well, but came back after I told Chief not to import as cad block instead of dimensions in the import dbx so I assume this problem is related.

I've enclosed the cad detail in case anyone would like to import it and see why the notes are lost. You have to rename the file call 'Wd_Std...." from .plan to .dwg as the uploader refused to let me upload neither dwg nor zip.

post-109-0-49005300-1413236680_thumb.jpg

Wd_Std_SPS_Window_Silly.plan

I have a Plan for each type of detail:

Railings

Door Head, Jamb, Sill

Window Head, Jamb, Sill

Foundation

Roof

etc.

Within each Plan I have a set of "CAD Details" that are named and have a Callout with text (Macro uses %view_name%).

All my CAD Details have an invisible border of the same size so I get consistency when sent to layout (same layout box size)

I create all my Details completely within Chief.  Each of my Detail Plans are modified versions of Chief "Detail Template" which provides a really nice simple way to create consistent details.  Occasionally I import specific product dwgs (manufactured objects) which I add to the library so I can put those things into my details.

Joe:

Interesting.  How many different plan files do you have for all the various detail types you keep?

Currently I have 6.  The Standard Details and General Notes that I use for just about every project are already in my Layout Template.  Having the Detail Plans works kind of like a Library of Details and everything is to Scale.  I just pick the appropriate Details to send to Layout.  If I need a new Detail it get's done in the appropriate Detail Plan and then it's available for the future.

This means that I typically have 7 Plan Files associated with each project.  One for the Project and six for the Details.

I have a Plan for each type of detail:

Railings

Door Head, Jamb, Sill

Window Head, Jamb, Sill

Foundation

Roof

etc.

Within each Plan I have a set of "CAD Details" that are named and have a Callout with text (Macro uses %view_name%).

All my CAD Details have an invisible border of the same size so I get consistency when sent to layout (same layout box size)

I create all my Details completely within Chief.  Each of my Detail Plans are modified versions of Chief "Detail Template" which provides a really nice simple way to create consistent details.  Occasionally I import specific product dwgs (manufactured objects) which I add to the library so I can put those things into my details.

Why separate plans for these categories and not one with several detail pages? To avoid a mess in the Detail Management dbx? There doesn't seem to be a way to create sub directories in the Project Browser (except cameras where I have an Overview folder for some reason.)

How do you handle layers for these details? Are they all in Cad, default or do you separate out text and dimensions?

What is is that designates a drawing to a certain category like being a detail in Chief? I would for tidiness like to have an elevation category but it all ends up in 'Cross Sections'.

Sorry for all my questions, but I find the reference manual to be very dry when it comes to motivating different options, and searching usually results in very old threads and Choef versions.

I keep all of my cad details in the library. I have folders and sub folders. I place them in the plan cad detail management as I need them and then send them to layout. This way, it's easy for me to know the exact details that were used for the specific plan. I also do plan specific electrical legends. I know some people use a generic legend that has a lot of stuff even if it's not in the plan because it's faster but I like it plan specific.

That certainly sounds like a good way of organizing them, and you don't have to have separate plans for them. Would be interested to hear Joe's view on advantages with using separate plans instead?

I've noticed that it seems to be a good idea to work on exploded details in a clean plan so that I don't mix up layers with my typical setup, as a blocked detail only uses one layer.

Why separate plans for these categories and not one with several detail pages? To avoid a mess in the Detail Management dbx? There doesn't seem to be a way to create sub directories in the Project Browser (except cameras where I have an Overview folder for some reason.)

How do you handle layers for these details? Are they all in Cad, default or do you separate out text and dimensions?

What is is that designates a drawing to a certain category like being a detail in Chief? I would for tidiness like to have an elevation category but it all ends up in 'Cross Sections'.

Sorry for all my questions, but I find the reference manual to be very dry when it comes to motivating different options, and searching usually results in very old threads and Choef versions.

I just use Floor 1 as my working detail.  It's a copy of Chief's "Detail Plan" template with a few added components that I use to build the detail.  As soon as I've completed the detail I copy it to a CAD Detail Window and clear the area for the next detail.  Each CAD Detail Window can be "Named" so it shows in the Project Browser as what it is - that's my index - and the macro I use in the CAD Window uses that same name.

Having separate Detail Plans gives me a finer division, limits the number of details in any given Plan, and makes it easier to find what I'm looking for.  I do have different Layers that I use in my details - mainly to control Line Weights, Line Types and Colors.  Since my Details are mostly at 1/2" scale, the Line Weights have to be different than for 1/4" scale.

I imported that dwg into Chief & got the same thing you did. The text abv was there but not the rest.  I opened in OtherCAD & all the text was there. I assumed I needed to do something in OtherCAD before importing it into Chief.

Yes, there either seems to be a problem with Chief's import, or there is some option that strips away this text that I don't understand.

Graeme, the file is in the first post. Rename it from .plan to .dwg.

So it works in Autocad, Draftsight and Othercad but not Chief and Accelicad. That's almost funny but to me it actually indicates a problem with Chief, as it seems more programs than not can open it.

What I can't figure out is what makes that text different from the other items that do import.