Layer Assignments

RobUSMC

Does anyone now how to change the default layer of an item (fixture, appliance, etc.)? Since we do a lot of AV and surround sound work during our remodels, I created a new layer set "Audio Visual Set". I added several fixtures to the plan such as speakers, TV, receivers, etc. which by default are either on the "Furniture, Interior set or the Fixture, Interior" set. I want to set these fixtures to my new AV layer set as the default.  I put them into a plan and then opened each item and just change the layer set but it does not change the default.  Without having the default layer changed, I am having to change each one every time i use one.  Thanks  Rob

Mark,

They are in my user library. While in the library, when you open the symbol spec box there is not an option to change the layer. Only once the symbol is actually in the plan is when you can open it and change the layer but it does not change the default layer

I don't have access to Chief at the moment, so I can't check, but if you change the layer for a symbol and then save it to the library, does it maintain the layer assignment?

Nope! The only items I know of that can be assigned to a different layer and then added to the library with that layer are "Plants".

I just checked the Symbol Category "Geometric Shapes" and found that it does allow the assignment of custom layers but it doesn't seem to be consistent.

I set up "something" for countertop items last month, guess it is not what I thought. Maybe I put em in another plan as Kilgore suggested. Will have to check when I can get to a computer. Sorry for the misinformation, age, I have the missus wear a name tag these days.

Thanks to all.

Maybe it could be something CA could think about.  I know it would be a big time saver on my part to not have to go in and temporarily change the layers for these symbols so I can show them on their own layer since they can be just as detailed as the electrical set.

If you take a group of your items and make an Architectural Block and save that to the Library it will maintain the layer assignments when you explode the block after dropping it into your new plan. This is probably a more efficient way to work considering the task. Just save out a large group of items that you are using in each plan and then drop that group off to the side of the plan for picking and choosing as you draw.

• Upvote 2

If you take a group of your items and make an Architectural Block and save that to the Library it will maintain the layer assignments when you explode the block after dropping it into your new plan. This is probably a more efficient way to work considering the task. Just save out a large group of items that you are using in each plan and then drop that group off to the side of the plan for picking and choosing as you draw.

Clever tip,  thanks.

I've beefed about this in the past.  There are many items in the 'furniture' layer and the 'fixtures' layer that I don't think really belong there (a stack of plates is not a piece of furniture in my world, for example).  I had posted once before asking if I could group-assign items to a layer; the answer was no. 

I have been creating a new layer called 'accessories' and laboriously assigning items to that layer but it has to be re-done for each and every plan - not a good use of time.  I would love to be able to permanently change an item's layer and have it be the new default.

I agree totally, I have created additional layers such as "Fixtures, Plumbing", "Fixtures, Electrical", Fixtures, Appliances, "Fixtures, Bath Accessories" so I don't have to show ALL the "Fixtures, Interior" in my plumbing or electrical plan. I would be great that a toilet, sink or faucet could have their default layer changed to "Fixtures, Plumbing" or an oven to "Fixtures, Appliances" layer and so on.  HUGE TIME SAVER!!!!

• Upvote 1

Put those items on the layer you want them on, select all and block, send to library, open new plan, get them from library, paste in plan, unblock, they will be on layer you want.

Actually faster than individually selecting from library. A huger time saver.

Credit to Alan.

Layer management is a big issue. Having a single page displaying all layers active or not is cumbersome. Redesigned to reflect how we draw would be useful. I use Site Plan(annotation- layer set), Floor Plan (annotation- layer set), Elevations (annotation- layer set), Cross Section (annotation- layer set), Set out (annotation- layer set). etc. I would like to open the layer box and be able to choose what is visible (Photoshop have a great system of layer management. If we could use something similar but made the layer available or visible in different layer  sets . The filter is a great method working my layer sets. For static items it is easier to manage ( static means the expected items for a floor plan for example.) When I import a dwg from a surveyor  the layers get a bit more complicated because different surveyors use different descriptions for their drawings. Not sure if this fits with this thread but it adds to the need for layer management to be upgraded. Just to conclude : I have found the filter to be a fantastic help to layer management. I make sure that when I name or rename a layer it works with the filter. 

• 2 months later...

Is there any way to change a symbols category after it's been created.  I have some "fixture interior" symbols that would make more sense to be "furniture interior" category.  I can't find any way to edit their category other than when you create it.  is it the case that I actually have to delete it and "re-symbolize" it again with the other category?

Thanks,

I agree totally, I have created additional layers such as "Fixtures, Plumbing", "Fixtures, Electrical", Fixtures, Appliances, "Fixtures, Bath Accessories" so I don't have to show ALL the "Fixtures, Interior" in my plumbing or electrical plan. I would be great that a toilet, sink or faucet could have their default layer changed to "Fixtures, Plumbing" or an oven to "Fixtures, Appliances" layer and so on.  HUGE TIME SAVER!!!!

Then we have another problem: After sorting items to different Fixtures layers, we have one Fixtures, Labels layer that shows names for all of those items. We should have separate Label layers for each. Agree?

Solution (maybe): in "Fixtures, Interior" layer we have "text style" column which now is ??? totally useless..!!! because all text is controlled though text layers.

Please correct me if I'm wrong with this

simonas,

Solution (maybe): in "Fixtures, Interior" layer we have "text style" column which now is ??? totally useless..!!! because all text is controlled though text layers.

Please correct me if I'm wrong with this

Not sure I follow you, but the Text Style column for the Labels layers controls the ....text style for labels.