kwhitt

Appearance of plan walls under different layer sets

I was wondering if it was possible to have walls use different fills under different layer sets.  For example, on working plans the standard walls showing all the layers out of the box are fine.  However, on kitchen and bath plans I use walls, normal without walls, layers and want the entire wall volume shaded in a light gray.  I can't seem to do this without changing the entire wall definition which messes up my other sets.  Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

Also, I noticed the color toggle removes any fills when deselected.  What I'm looking for is a gray scale representation with the fills desaturated.  This is something I thought the color toggle should do, but not the case.  I'd appreciate any feedback on the above.  Kevin

plan.jpg

This way springs to mind.

A bit messy, but doable.

Have one layerset that displays your normal walls with layers, colored hatching etc.

Turn Walls, Hatching off.

Have a another layerset with Walls, Layers turned off and Walls, Hatching turned on.

Use the Wall Hatch tool to hatch the walls, open the dbx for the hatches and change them to solid with transparency and select a color, etc.

Now when you change between the 2 layer sets you will see the difference.

New Image_24.jpg

New Image_22.jpg

• Upvote 1

Glenn - thanks for the reply.  I'll give this a try as soon as I get to the office.  Do you happen to know if there is a way to display in gray scale with all hatches and fills?  As stated above, when I toggle color off, the fills disappear.  Kevin

Kevin,

I am not sure.

If I toggle colors off I still get the wall fills.

Maybe something to do with your wall definition colors.

There is a setting in Preferences - Color Off is or Greyscale or Black and White, but that shouldn't make any difference.

Probably best to post a plan.

Color Off, Greyscale:

1708822246_NewImage_25.thumb.jpg.352dae588d4c73672e0abe1e9330cd69.jpg

Color Off, Black and white:

1799528442_NewImage_26.thumb.jpg.607b6d4f138910b425e7526e94428c40.jpg

• Upvote 1

I have wanted to do something similar but haven't been able to accomplish what you're trying to do, due to Chief's limitations on controlling wall display. At least within my limited knowledge.

I have, however, come up with a solution I'm comfortable with, that I understand, and that gets me close to where I want to be.

I like to show standard floor plans dimensioned to rough framing, but kitchen layouts to the finished wall surface. And I never want to show layers unless it's a wall with a brick or stone veneer. The two screen captures show an example of my finished drawings, using wall definitions and layer settings. 

You can see how the floor plan has a 3-1/2" thick interior wall and the kitchen plan has a 4-1/2" thick wall, and the exterior wall is gray on the floorpan and white on the kitchen plan.

This is working for me but it would be nice if the wall display had more flexibility.

floorplan.thumb.png.6f7b77ba3af25c7df0c76e5d82dd036f.png

1595437228_kitchenplan.thumb.png.644a917862dc941bf7dcf041aa780d7b.png

• Like 1

Glenn & Chris - thanks for your input.  Seems I have a couple options.  Chris - liked your disclaimer about the framing dimensions.  I've run into this a time or two myself...