Notes, number type / style

robdyck

Is there any choice in numbering style for schedule numbers, specifically notes? The schedule numbers them 01, 02, 03... I'd prefer 1.    2.    3.  and so on. The default numbering system for notes looks odd IMO and so does including the 2d symbol in the actual schedule.

Macros maybe? I'm not good with them, but seems to me (from what I understand by others posting) you can either make a custom macro or perhaps modify the particular one that has to do with schedules?  I don't need to do it, and haven't so I don't know if that's it?

4 hours ago, robdyck said:

Thanks Dermot. I placed that in the "Code" field with a period behind it. Adjusted the schedule to display "code", then "Text" and here's the result. Perfect!

image.thumb.png.e811298936ac496f210cb98f91b1e084.png

Rob, you mind sharing how you modified the code (how you edited the macro?) I'm definitely a long way off from understanding macros and how to customize them, so for now I do most of my schedules manually (since I'm really not doing a lot of work right now). 

1 hour ago, Evolution said:

Rob, you mind sharing how you modified the code (how you edited the macro?) I'm definitely a long way off from understanding macros and how to customize them, so for now I do most of my schedules manually (since I'm really not doing a lot of work right now). 

No prob Bob! The macro is inherent in the plan, not something I created. For this particular note schedule, I want it to appear as a simple text list. I have a special note type for framing details that I've added myself. While each note has an "object information" panel, I won't be using any of these for this type of note. That leaves 5 fields available for my use despite the 'goofy' default headings: Code, Comment, Description, Manufacturer, Supplier. I've chosen to use the 'Code" field for the schedule list number just because it's the first in that list. Beside the field, click 'insert:' and select the "Simple Schedule Number" followed immediately by a typed period.

image.thumb.png.3759c80ac04b148d7715ccc30235d0e7.pngimage.thumb.png.b421cf29e4752bb082674a9e699197c7.png

My title for the schedule is my just a typed text box, with fill and a border, centered alignment.

The schedule itself includes only the "Code" and "Text", no borders, no gridlines.

image.thumb.png.cc69864500e79b70bd62f2342f091d84.png

Hope that helps.

This seemed like a solution until...the text needs to wrap. The schedule number centers on the text field which makes it difficult to tell what the number is referring to (at least without the grid. I had been hoping this would end up looking more like rich text, but no cigar. 

image.thumb.png.acfd9f02001652c5ec9919621edaa753.png

Rob,

It is possible to get the note number to display level with the top line of text, but it may not be worth the effort.

Add some carriage returns under %simple_schedule_number% in the Object Information>Code box - the number will vary depending on how far you stretch the note schedule.

You will need to add or delete the carriage returns as you stretch out the schedule - so maybe not worth the effort if you have a lot of notes.

New Image_204.jpg

13 hours ago, glennw said:

Rob,

It is possible to get the note number to display level with the top line of text, but it may not be worth the effort.

Add some carriage returns under %simple_schedule_number% in the Object Information>Code box - the number will vary depending on how far you stretch the note schedule.

You will need to add or delete the carriage returns as you stretch out the schedule - so maybe not worth the effort if you have a lot of notes.

New Image_204.jpg

I agree that it's probably not worth the effort depending on the amount of notes in one's schedule and if you're absolutely certain as to how much space is available for your schedule.

Here's what I chose to run with: No border, gridlines in grey. I'd like to hear what you or others think of this appearance. Perhaps a topic could be started just to discuss and share styles for things like this.

image.thumb.png.2daf3618c395dca3814545d5bb985f5a.png

I personally think key note schedules should include the notes callout symbol (circle, square, triangle, etc.) to make it super clear what exactly the note is in reference to.  Plain text numbering should be reserved for generic, non-callout notes.  

Just my 2 cents.

52 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I personally think key note schedules should include the notes callout symbol (circle, square, triangle, etc.) to make it super clear what exactly they note is in reference to.  Plain text numbering should be reserved for generic, non-callout notes.  

Just my 2 cents.

Valid point. What if the key note symbol is id'd in a legend? Do you or others feel that's clear enough for plan readers? Or just stick with those 2d symbols?

16 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Or just stick with those 2d symbols?

Yes I would agree that the 2d symbols are fast and clear and leave little chance for confusion unless maybe you had a situation like you posted in the Wall Detail thread with one detail and one corresponding schedule on a clean single page.

2 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Yes I would agree that the 2d symbols are fast and clear and leave little chance for confusion unless maybe you had a situation like you posted in the Wall Detail thread with one detail and one corresponding schedule on a clean single page.

Interesting and helpful to get multiple viewpoints on this. To be honest, I switched because I was running out of space on my layout page and the 2d symbols took up more real estate! So far it's 2 to 1 in favor of the 2d symbol (and I was a bit undecided) so I'll probably revert back.