Create Simple Board and Batt Pattern?

HumbleChief

I've got a project that must show a difference in B & B patterns for historical review and the Chief supplied patterns are OK for new construction but the old construction has a 1 x 6 batt @ approx. 12" O.C. and I need to apply that pattern to the old construction in elevation. How does one go about creating a custom pattern like this?

board and batt.png

10 minutes ago, solver said:

Don't know about the custom pattern, but Material Regions are quick to draw and show correctly.

ct2.thumb.png.a5d813222ad9c1c1e882cd86c0bb790b.pngct1.thumb.png.b1c4a987f38205f9303248144be1aab1.png

Thanks Eric and yes the patterns supplied by Chief work great but I need to show something with different spacing than Chief's stock patterns, more like 1 x 6 @ 12" O.C. rather than Chief's (assumed) 1 x 2's. I can stretch the existing pattern(s) and that works OK and that may have to do for now. It seems an easy task but have researched a bit and can find no simple answer or method...

23 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Larry,

Create a Wall Material Region (1x6) for the Batts and multicopy at 12".  They will only cover the wall areas and will be accurate in both 2D and 3D and even show shadows.

Good idea but way too much work for this project with so many elevations and wall regions. For now I've just stretched the B & B pattern and it looks like that may work OK.

1 minute ago, justmejerry said:

Haven't tried it myself but what about adding a framing layer to exterior of wall using the size and spacing you require?

This has been discussed before; a search on the forum would bring it up. I have tried it and used it. It does work OK but not so good sometimes around windows and doors. The framing members have to be edited to some degree. Then, if changes occur, they have to be edited again. Depending on the complexity of the design it could become a lot of work also. It does display good in both 2D and 3D views and does cast shadows.

27 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Good idea but way too much work for this project with so many elevations and wall regions. For now I've just stretched the B & B pattern and it looks like that may work OK.

I just completed some renderings with B&B on every wall. The correct look requires slightly different spacings to achieve correct centering at windows, doors, gable ends etc.

I used the material region technique mentioned, and did every wall separately, provided 8 different versions to the client all in about 7 hours. I needed the shadows to look correct which means a 3D object as opposed to a flat pattern. It's quick if you want it to be. In this case, the budget for my work was predetermined so I had to deliver acceptable results while still making $. Below is 1 of 40 renderings (8 versions of 5 saved cameras, each with different solar angles and lighting).

EXT1H.thumb.jpg.eef2291740062135137df64291869343.jpg

1 minute ago, robdyck said:

I just completed some renderings with B&B on every wall. The correct look requires slightly different spacings to achieve correct centering at windows, doors, gable ends etc.

I used the material region technique mentioned, and did every wall separately, provided 8 different versions to the client all in about 7 hours. I needed the shadows to look correct which means a 3D object as opposed to a flat pattern. It's quick if you want it to be. In this case, the budget for my work was predetermined so I had to deliver acceptable results while still making $. Below is 1 of 40 renderings (8 versions of 5 saved cameras, each with different solar angles and lighting).

EXT1H.thumb.jpg.eef2291740062135137df64291869343.jpg

Looks nice. Fortunately I don't need near that level of detail, just a simple vertical pattern. Will figure it out. Thanks for all the help....

I thought at first a 1x6 at 12" OC was the same as a simple 6" hatch, but then it occurred to me that its just a little different.  Anyway, you can hire me to make custom patterns at any time, but you can have this first one on the house.  Nothing fancy and it's a relatively small and simple sampling , but it should do what you need...

1x6x12 B&B.calibz

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I thought at first a 1x6 at 12" OC was the same as a simple 6" hatch, but then it occurred to me that its just a little different.  Anyway, you can hire me to make custom patterns at any time, but you can have this first one on the house.  Nothing fancy and it's a relatively small and simple sampling , but it should do what you need...

1x6x12 B&B.calibz

Thank you Michael, worked perfectly. For some reason I thought creating a pattern of some simple spaced vertical lines would be a super simple task, and maybe it was for you but I have no idea how and REALLY appreciate the help. :)

Just now, HumbleChief said:

Thank you Michael, worked perfectly. For some reason I thought creating a pattern of some simple spaced vertical lines would be a super simple task, and maybe it was for you but I have no idea how and REALLY appreciate the help. :)

You're welcome.  It's not actually something you can reasonably do inside Chief.  I use other software for that. 

• Upvote 2

Larry,

Just for your information as it appears that you are sorted.

If you open the ChiefSiding.pat file you will find a couple of B&B definitions that look like this:

;; CHIEFSIDING.PAT COPYRIGHT(C) 2003, ART(R), INC.
*167-SIDG_8-Brd-n-Bat
90, 0,0, 0,8
90, 2,0, 0,8
*168-SIDG_12-Bd-n-Bat
90, 0,0, 0,12
90, 2,0, 0,12

These are probably the easiest types of hatch patterns to create

There have been posts in the past that detail how to create .pat files, or there are plenty of places on the web.

If the above are not what you want, they are easily modified with a plain text editor to get what you want.

ChiefSiding.pat