Demo Plan

4hotshoez

What I have done to create a demo plan is export a simple plan (dwg) of the existing building, make all to go to a demo layer with a dashed linetype then import back (just 2D lines) into the building model on a locked layer called demo. So now when I delete or move something, the dashed line shows from underneath. Any other ideas that you use?

post-2194-0-98851200-1410900955_thumb.png

The City of Austin Texas requires (this year) an as-built plan with demo walls showing a black fill and existing walls have no or white fill. The the remodeling plan new walls are to be black filled and existing walls with white or no fill.

I mention this only because it is required and other conventions are rejected for permit. I used to use a similar method as you display but I now feel like the "Austin" method is more clear and is what I currently do, especially since they will accept nothing else.

I just make two different filled custom interior wall types for this purpose and use two plan files, one as-built and one or more version plan files for submittals.

DJP

What I have done to create a demo plan is export a simple plan (dwg) of the existing building, make all to go to a demo layer with a dashed linetype then import back (just 2D lines) into the building model on a locked layer called demo. So now when I delete or move something, the dashed line shows from underneath. Any other ideas that you use?

You don't have to export to .dwg you can take your existing floor plan (strip out what you don't want to show using layers) and convert to CAD using Chief's tools. Select all and choose a line style/weight. Block your new cad lines and copy/paste in place into your flor plan. Put the block on its own layer, send to back group and lock. Very much like what you're describing but perhaps more 'in the box' using Chief's tools. There's a knowledge base article on the technique, I'll see if I can find it.

Here's one way.

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-02208/

• Upvote 1

Larry,

I have not yet tried your suggestion of not exporting yet, but does this turn everything to 2D? Like fixtures and other library items? Because the export to DWG method imported polygon surfaces for the toilet and sink bowl, which I would rather not have. An outline would be better.

Thanks for the tip.

I have an Anno Set/Layer Set called bare bones which turns off everything I don't want in the 2D CAD drawing, leaving only the walls, or whatever you want to see in your 2D CAD.

Once you have that Layer Set set up you can convert to 2D without all the fixtures/toilets etc.

I also create a window and door demo layer within that Anno/Layer Set that is also dashed so they will also show as demo when needed.

It takes a bit of massaging but once you get it set up it's fast and easy.

The City of Austin Texas requires (this year) an as-built plan with demo walls showing a black fill and existing walls have no or white fill. The the remodeling plan new walls are to be black filled and existing walls with white or no fill.

I mention this only because it is required and other conventions are rejected for permit. I used to use a similar method as you display but I now feel like the "Austin" method is more clear and is what I currently do, especially since they will accept nothing else.

I just make two different filled custom interior wall types for this purpose and use two plan files, one as-built and one or more version plan files for submittals.

DJP

Doesn't this get confusing to the contractors? I mean--if they accidently look on the demo plan instead of the remodeling plan when they are ready to start putting in new walls, they may inadvertently start rebuilding the walls that were just taken out, since they are both shown in black fill! Just wondering....

So both demo and new walls are to be black filled?

It hardly matters whether or not this method might or might not be confusing, it is required here. I am not saying it is good or bad, it is merely how you operate if you must have a remodeling permit.

The as built plan is separate (a different plan file) from the remodeling plan, so no, it is not confusing except for perhaps the dim witted  and there is a "Wall Legend' for each page so no, it is not confusing but is the law here abouts.

DJP

I am having a little trouble as Chief thinks it is smarter than I am, which may be true in this case. I have two basic wall types, new (dark) and existing (white). When I draw a new wall type on the end of an existing wall they join together and become either new or existing, but I want them to stay separated. How do I do this?

In this image, the existing (white) 12" walls need to extend into the dashed area shown but will snap to corners rather than stretch into the right place. A small portion of the 12" wall needs to be new (dark), but will not break as it is too close to the corner. Also, next to the shower is a door being removed that needs to be filled in with new wall, but will not break as close to the wall as I need as it will snap to the wall intersection. 

post-2194-0-44031300-1410980024_thumb.png

Todd,

There are some things that Chief simply will not do easily. I've seen some videos where the problem you describe can be resolved but when it gets too frustrating using Chief's tools I'll just create a CAD box and fill it to replicate what I'm trying to represent. Takes less than a minute and I'm off to the next challenge.

In most cases having a filled polyline box on your plans is no big deal but in others it can be important - you must decide how much time you'll spend using Chiefs wall tools (even when using them costs way too much time) or Chief's CAD tools.

• 5 months later...

You don't have to export to .dwg you can take your existing floor plan (strip out what you don't want to show using layers) and convert to CAD using Chief's tools. Select all and choose a line style/weight. Block your new cad lines and copy/paste in place into your flor plan. Put the block on its own layer, send to back group and lock. Very much like what you're describing but perhaps more 'in the box' using Chief's tools. There's a knowledge base article on the technique, I'll see if I can find it.

Here's one way.

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-02208/

When I cut and paste the blocked cad detail into my plan file in comes out in solid black lines instead of gray dashed lines that I selected. What's up with that?

• 11 months later...

I use both CA and Revit.  I'm trying to find myself just using one program, and i wish CA was more like Revit in the renovation area.  In Revit, walls are simply tagged as Demo, and then you just filter them on or off, in a Demo plan.  For making a Demo plan, you show the New phase, and set the filter so only previous phase (existing) and walls to be demo'd are shown.  You can make the existing light, and the demo walls dashed, or whatever.  This is the only stumbling block for me using only CA.  I like CA for all its decorative catalog and the interior elevations, but in the Demo plan department, it's a real pain having to do it through layer sets, and wall types.  So comparatively complex.  Does anyone have a template setup for this, that they would like to share with me?  

TomBiggs, on 06 Feb 2016 - 10:31 AM, said:

I use both CA and Revit. I'm trying to find myself just using one program, and i wish CA was more like Revit in the renovation area. In Revit, walls are simply tagged as Demo, and then you just filter them on or off, in a Demo plan. For making a Demo plan, you show the New phase, and set the filter so only previous phase (existing) and walls to be demo'd are shown. You can make the existing light, and the demo walls dashed, or whatever. This is the only stumbling block for me using only CA. I like CA for all its decorative catalog and the interior elevations, but in the Demo plan department, it's a real pain having to do it through layer sets, and wall types. So comparatively complex. Does anyone have a template setup for this, that they would like to share with me?

I don't think its really a "template" type thing. Most Chief users do one of 2 things (just very brief descriptions)...

1. The most popular method...Draw up the as-built, create a CAD Detail From View and then use that CAD detail as a background or "mask". Search CAD mask or As-built mask and I'm sure you'll come up with a handful of threads and videos.

2. What I personally do...Create 3 different plans. First I draw up an As-Built and send any views to layout as necessary.  Second, I do a Save As, create a Demo Plan, and send any views to layout as necessary.  Third, I do another Save As and create a Proposed Plan and send views from that plan to layout as necessary.  

There's also the 3rd option of using a demolition wall type set to "no room definition" so that you can have 2 walls occupy the same space and just control their display via layer settings, but I don't think this method is very popular.  To be honest, I'm not sure why as I haven't messed with it much.  Might actually be a good method...not really sure. 

• 3 weeks later...

Michael,

Thanks for your reply to my post.  I gather that a lot of folks are dealing with the Demo, Existing, and New phased objects by simply just making a separate file for each, as you described.  I did see the video tutorial " Coordinating Layers to Show Existing, Demo and Newon the Chief Architect site.  That's probably the somewhat convoluted "correct" way to have everything all in the same file, where it's useful to be able to filter items by phase.   I guess I will better familiarize myself with that approach.

I start drawing the proposed plan by laying out the existing using existing defaults, when done with that, I simply save as -existing including the cad mask background, then change all my defaults to new, windows ,doors ,walls, labels, and continue drawing the new. That way there in no re-linking any of the plans. You would just send the existing plan to the layout like it was a new plan.

My templates are actually saved with existing defaults. This works great with existing vs new windows and doors, walls and labels, schedules.