X11 Reference Floor Question

HumbleChief

11 hours ago, SNestor said:

I hate to say this...but, I am not understanding the ref set management/display dialog.  Can one of you guru's do a video that shows how/why this is used.  I understand ref sets (like we have in X10)...but, not sure I have a clue about this multiple ref set thing.  

Can you set it up so you can reference (by hitting F9) both a basement level and the 2nd floor?  How do you do this?  

I also just don't understand the dialogue box for the ref sets...so, any basic level video would really be helpful.

Thanks!

Yeah pretty confusing all around me thinks. There has been quite a loud clamor for multiple ref sets for quite some time and really never had the need for them myself but Chief added some really powerful features for using them with existing plans that could be really great for remodeling with as builts and new construction.

Here's Chief's video explaining and did you watch Rene's video in this thread?

Hope that helps

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/2442/productivity-features-added-in-x11.html

Thanks for the video Rene. The more I learn about the multi ref sets the less likely I am to actually use them - at all. Our current work flow is simply faster and much more simple. Will explore a bit later perhaps when needed but for now, have lost interest...and rarely find Chief's new automated tools faster or more efficient, like story pole and the note schedules and few more I can't think of. I have simple systems that work better for me.

A video showing a simple technique I've adapted for elevations new/as builts. Can be modified as needed of course but I have everything in place and the elevation ref sets just make it more difficult, and much less flexible for our current work flow... Not for every one of course but hard to intentionally add complexity to our current work flow.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Thanks for the video Rene.

welcome, this has been a productive back and forth, thanks for your time as well. It's like I haven't fully grasped the weight of these methods to properly convey why I think they are so important. Hard to describe really.

My template existing plan has default materials that blank out patterns and grey out walls. I don't ever need to go into a DBX for layer properties ever again!

if it weren't for the User Library, I WOULD ALWAYS HAVE FULL SCREEN WOOOOO!

Also, being able to keep macros contained to a New vs Existing plans really helps eliminate some difficult scripting. Say you have an existing window SHGC and U-Factor macro- I don't have to mess around with which windows are new or existing, or have to switch default windows etc..., I just get to drop it in a text box and it's done because the plans are split apart.

5 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Thanks for the video Rene. The more I learn about the multi ref sets the less likely I am to actually use them - at all. Our current work flow is simply faster and much more simple. Will explore a bit later perhaps when needed but for now, have lost interest...and rarely find Chief's new automated tools faster or more efficient, like story pole and the note schedules and few more I can't think of. I have simple systems that work better for me.

A video showing a simple technique I've adapted for elevations new/as builts. Can be modified as needed of course but I have everything in place and the elevation ref sets just make it more difficult, and much less flexible for our current work flow... Not for every one of course but hard to intentionally add complexity to our current work flow.

Unless I am missing something,  I agree with Larry.  Multiple ref sets are great if using one plan file whilst reffing multiple LEVELS,  but trying to use multiple PLAN FILES seems to be a “trick” that is more trouble than it is worth...except for a few limited scenarios.....  different strokes....

1 hour ago, dshall said:

Unless I am missing something,  I agree with Larry.  Multiple ref sets are great if using one plan file whilst reffing multiple LEVELS,  but trying to use multiple PLAN FILES seems to be a “trick” that is more trouble than it is worth...except for a few limited scenarios.....  different strokes....

I think the one time I will will most commonly use other plans is to replace the current "As-Built CAD Mask".  This way my mask stays live if I have to make any changes to the As-Built, besides that though, yes, for multiple floors...

and for Grid Lines. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I think the one time I will will most commonly use other plans is to replace the current "As-Built CAD Mask".  This way my mask stays live if I have to make any changes to the As-Built, besides that though, yes, for multiple floors...

Yeah!  Now you're talking! I will check out Larry's vid.   Hmmmmm,  does that mean the demo plan is the ref set used for the proposed if I want to see how new relates to existing.

I have talked to a few heavy hitters and we all agree this is probably the best release we have seen.  A lot of little paper cuts have healed.

• Like 1

One advantage worth mentioning is that the as built referenced floor plan is interactive.

ie, if you open the as built referenced plan file and make any changes to it, the changes are interactively reflected in the referenced plan in the main drawing - no having to go through the process of making a new cad mask if the as built plan is edited. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, glennw said:

One advantage worth mentioning is that the as built referenced floor plan is interactive.

ie, if you open the as built referenced plan file and make any changes to it, the changes are interactively reflected in the referenced plan in the main drawing - no having to go through the process of making a new cad mask if the as built plan is edited. 

+1 meant to mention that in one of those vids but good reminder..and all of the other edits you might need to the as built and its layers/sets can be done 'interactively' as well...

On 2/15/2019 at 11:43 AM, Renerabbitt said:

another vid!

Larry I tried to focus a bit more on the benefit for the roof plan in particular

Rene, I think what you have set up is awesome.. I mostly do Renovation design. Like you I go into home with laptop and laser tool and build asbuilt then go back to office and move walls as needed, new cabs , light etc, I have used the mask method for plans but if you are trying to have existing walls and new walls in same plan then they are snapping together  and how could you show asbuilt walls in glass and new ones in standard or vector view?

great job, I need to chat with you.