DesignMC

Seeking design help with my home renovation

Hi! We are doing a fairly large home renovation and we are really close to getting started. However, I am not 100% sold on the plans we have from our architect and want to get a 2nd opinion of sorts to accomplish the changes we want on the 2nd floor. I was thinking of trying to do it myself with software until I came across this forum. Is this something someone here does well? If so, what is your hourly rate? I need a quick turn around as we are trying to get permits submitted this month and would need to discuss with our contractor prior to that. I would rather not go back to the architect at this point. I live in a colonial in northern NJ if that makes a difference. 

Thanks!

MC

If you want a 3D visualization then Chief Architect is a great tool for that. If you already have stamped plans created by an Architect licensed in your State, I doubt anyone here (other than an Architect licensed to create plans in your State) can further help you. Chief is for creating both a virtual 3D model for visual evaluation and also for creating 2D plans for permitting and submittals. You say you have plans, is it that you are not satisfied with what the current plans portend or is it something else?

Foundations should be designed by a State Licensed Structural Engineer, period (not an Architect, no me or you).

I charge $75.00 per hour but that means little without understanding what, exactly is to be done and why for us both. What I am suggesting is that it may not be as simple to legally and correctly do what you want to do with just another draftsperson, you still need to obtain building permits based upon your plans. Your plans must meet certain criteria demanded by your local Building Permit authority and other Governmental Agencies. I am suggesting you find out more about the ramifications of what you wish to do before doing it.

DJP

Hi David,

Thanks for post. You are right. I am not quite satisfied with the plans and want other layout options. Whenever I as an amateur try to come up with a plan it doesn't work out for this reason or another (you need this much space to allow for door clearance, etc). I tried discussing with my architect and always felt like there was a communication block. So we have construction documents on a plan that I reluctantly accepted. Which may be the best option under our current circumstances, but I can't help but wonder if someone else would have come up with a better solution. I don't want to have to start from scratch with another architect if not necessary. I'm hoping to come up with an acceptable option that I like and then I'm ok taking it back to the architect to incorporate it into the documents before the permits are filed. If you suggest a different way to go about it now that you know more background please let me know. 

Thanks!

MC

2 hours ago, DavidJPotter said:

Foundations should be designed by a State Licensed Structural Engineer, period (not an Architect, no me or you).

With all due respect David, that blanket statement simply doesn't apply to everyone. I have been doing this a long time, and have never hired an engineer to design a foundation. In fact, I'm not sure where to even find an engineer that would bother with a task like that, unless it's for a large building downtown. Residential home design and construction is not the rocket science some make it out to be. 

@DesignMC Do you have the plans in PDF version? If so, I will take a look and shoot you back a price or a couple ideas to get you moving in the right direction. My email is joeymdp@gmail.com, it's also in my signature.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I thought the idea of using the IRC/IBC codes was to "avoid" the need for engineering etc

as my code teacher (and code creator) said numerous times the IRC/IBC is like taking over the counter meds

you are self diagnosing - self treating

when you need a prescription then you see an architect or engineer

Lew

• Upvote 1

I could look at your plans via screen share and give you some feedback if you like. 

Katharine

Hello,

I have an experience of over 3 years with 3D modeling and rendering.

Attached are the links to my work

Interior rendering: 

Exterior Rendering

Let me know your thoughts on the same.

Looking forward to working with you! :)

Regards!

When planning a house remodel, it can be tempting to skip to the exciting stage of choosing new paint colors, fixtures and fittings, but in order for any renovation to go smoothly, there are several things to think about before you even begin.

Before you decide how extensively to renovate, you need to know what your end goal is for your home. Are you renovating to raise the resale value of your home, or will you be staying put for years to come? Consider the condition of your neighborhood before you begin, and know which renovations are a good return on investment, and which will be considered overdoing it for the area.

There are certain factors like finishes, appliances, and the construction choices you make which affect the resale value of your home. While renovating your home, you should change these parts of your home:
1. Kitchen: Being the most used part of any home, kitchen requires the most attention when it comes to renovation. The feature in the kitchen which takes most of the investment is the cabinetry. Experts believe that the installation should be of high quality with traditional style.
2. Bathroom: When you are renovating with resale in mind, don’t be too stylistically specific. Keep things simple and functional. White subway tiles for the walls and grey and white marble for the floor will be a great choice. It is a misconception that expensive materials yield the best results rather home renovation contractors suggest strongly to keep the palette very neutral.
3. Flooring: Most people believe that wall-to-wall carpet is a very attractive feature to have in your home. However, when it comes to a potential buyer, it is a great thing that turns them off. Wall-to-wall carpets are very difficult to clean and dust and dirt gather a lot on them. Similarly, wood flooring is a very likable flooring option for people, but it has certain drawbacks too. Avoid wood flooring in the areas like bathroom, kitchen, or basements. Vinyl flooring are better flooring options for such areas.

• Downvote 1

On 10/10/2018 at 9:24 AM, joey_martin said:

With all due respect David, that blanket statement simply doesn't apply to everyone. I have been doing this a long time, and have never hired an engineer to design a foundation. In fact, I'm not sure where to even find an engineer that would bother with a task like that, unless it's for a large building downtown. Residential home design and construction is not the rocket science some make it out to be. 

@DesignMC Do you have the plans in PDF version? If so, I will take a look and shoot you back a price or a couple ideas to get you moving in the right direction. My email is joeymdp@gmail.com, it's also in my signature.

I'm sure it varies in areas but in Houston, TX, all new foundations whether new construction or remodels are required to have an engineering stamp. For that matter here, any new roof, load bearing walls that are moved, and any opening over 10' wide, or any engineered beam whether wood or steel needs to be signed off by an engineer to get a permit from The City Of Houston.