DesignMC

Seeking design help with my home renovation

Hi! We are doing a fairly large home renovation and we are really close to getting started. However, I am not 100% sold on the plans we have from our architect and want to get a 2nd opinion of sorts to accomplish the changes we want on the 2nd floor. I was thinking of trying to do it myself with software until I came across this forum. Is this something someone here does well? If so, what is your hourly rate? I need a quick turn around as we are trying to get permits submitted this month and would need to discuss with our contractor prior to that. I would rather not go back to the architect at this point. I live in a colonial in northern NJ if that makes a difference. 

Thanks!

MC

If you want a 3D visualization then Chief Architect is a great tool for that. If you already have stamped plans created by an Architect licensed in your State, I doubt anyone here (other than an Architect licensed to create plans in your State) can further help you. Chief is for creating both a virtual 3D model for visual evaluation and also for creating 2D plans for permitting and submittals. You say you have plans, is it that you are not satisfied with what the current plans portend or is it something else?

Foundations should be designed by a State Licensed Structural Engineer, period (not an Architect, no me or you).

I charge $75.00 per hour but that means little without understanding what, exactly is to be done and why for us both. What I am suggesting is that it may not be as simple to legally and correctly do what you want to do with just another draftsperson, you still need to obtain building permits based upon your plans. Your plans must meet certain criteria demanded by your local Building Permit authority and other Governmental Agencies. I am suggesting you find out more about the ramifications of what you wish to do before doing it.

DJP

Hi David,

Thanks for post. You are right. I am not quite satisfied with the plans and want other layout options. Whenever I as an amateur try to come up with a plan it doesn't work out for this reason or another (you need this much space to allow for door clearance, etc). I tried discussing with my architect and always felt like there was a communication block. So we have construction documents on a plan that I reluctantly accepted. Which may be the best option under our current circumstances, but I can't help but wonder if someone else would have come up with a better solution. I don't want to have to start from scratch with another architect if not necessary. I'm hoping to come up with an acceptable option that I like and then I'm ok taking it back to the architect to incorporate it into the documents before the permits are filed. If you suggest a different way to go about it now that you know more background please let me know. 

Thanks!

MC

2 hours ago, DavidJPotter said:

Foundations should be designed by a State Licensed Structural Engineer, period (not an Architect, no me or you).

With all due respect David, that blanket statement simply doesn't apply to everyone. I have been doing this a long time, and have never hired an engineer to design a foundation. In fact, I'm not sure where to even find an engineer that would bother with a task like that, unless it's for a large building downtown. Residential home design and construction is not the rocket science some make it out to be. 

@DesignMC Do you have the plans in PDF version? If so, I will take a look and shoot you back a price or a couple ideas to get you moving in the right direction. My email is joeymdp@gmail.com, it's also in my signature.

• Upvote 3

I thought the idea of using the IRC/IBC codes was to "avoid" the need for engineering etc

as my code teacher (and code creator) said numerous times the IRC/IBC is like taking over the counter meds

you are self diagnosing - self treating

when you need a prescription then you see an architect or engineer

Lew

• Upvote 1

I could look at your plans via screen share and give you some feedback if you like. 

Katharine

Hello,

I have an experience of over 3 years with 3D modeling and rendering.

Attached are the links to my work

Interior rendering: 

Exterior Rendering

Let me know your thoughts on the same.

Looking forward to working with you! :)

Regards!

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    zzubin
    Newest Member
    zzubin

• By ChiefArchitect
      We want to understand how design trends (and which ones) impact your work.

Share your experiences via our survey:

• By StudioDearborn
      Award winning kitchen design studio seeking a junior designer on a part time consulting basis to take on site measurements and initial drafting of kitchens.  Candidate will need to have on the ground presence in Lower Westchester New York at jobsite at least for measuring; will need to do site visits, measure spaces, and draft initial cut at kitchen designs and prepare 3D architect layout documents for client review using our studio templates.  Additional responsibilities are a possibility if candidate is interested, including client follow up work, interior design material selection and ordering, layout, etc.  I am flexible on job scope and happy to work with the right person to tailor the responsibilities.

• By marinus
      Custom home and mostly residential remodel general contractor in Bellingham, WA is looking for a Lead Designer with extensive experience in computer drafting to join our firm.

Our office space is small and informal, but this allows us to offer a competitive employment package with benefits.

We are looking to hire a professional with experience drafting architectural projects - from the initial designs to permit plans. This self-motivated candidate must have excellent communication skills in order to collaborate with clients and co-workers alike.

You should have a thorough understanding of building components, green building, and good working knowledge of architectural construction documents in residential new construction and remodeling. We are looking for someone who has good problem solving skills and is able to self-manage.

Qualifications:
      • 5+ years of experience in construction/design
      • Strong technical skills
      • Proficient in Chief Architect, AutoCad, Revit or equivalent experience required

Responsibilities:
      • Draft residential (some commercial interior) building designs, details, and permit plans.
      • Check for code compliance, coordinate with consultants/permit officials/contractors and develop construction details

• By decorators3
      Hi 

this is probably a very stupid request.. but I have pressed some button that shadows my floor plan see attached over view is ok but plan is shaded

• By chrisped
      I have a home design that I am working on in home designer professional 2020.  Would eventually like to get it completed and then a set of construction prints for Nashville, Tennessee.  whidh means I will need floor plans and elevation views as well as a plot plan.  I have the plot drawn with some contour lines in the drawing I have developed.  The house faces about due west (not the best but that is the lot I have.    I have attached a picture of what I want the exterior rendering to look like.  Looking for job bid.  The plan file is zipped and attached.  Following needs to get done and then a front rendering and the file returned with the updates.  (Can pay via paypal etc)  
      1. Master bedroom vaulted ceiling following rafters up to height of 12 feet then flat across.  House rafters will be 2x8 or 2x6 depending on span.  
      2. Fix the roof planes
      3. Shed roof with 2 in 12 slope over the back deck.  Extends out about even with the master.  This is asphalt shingles.  Ceiling will follow the rafters
      4. The peaks (side and front larger dormer) should be board and batten not sided, the rest of the house sided, the foundation walls are stone
      5. Make sure chimney carries through to the roof from fireplace in family room.  Chimney is stone where it can be seen outside of house.
      6. The basement foundation walls connecting to the crawl space (unfinished area) should be only 5' tall (it would just be in one area)
      7. Front porch is to have a metal roof, rest of house is asphalt shingles (charcoal color but not black)
      8. Stairs should be 42" wide and should be fixed . Want them closed underneath. Somehow I cant get this to look right
      9. Need a front rendering showing view of the house for presentation to client
      10. Need file updated to reflect these changes and has to be readable with Home Designer Pro 2020
      11. Floor deck for both the first and second floor are 11-7/8 TJI with 3/4 subfloor (I think I have this right).

At any rate, looking for quote to get this done.  Thanks for looking.
      House Design Front Walkout.zip