DaveCoyleJr

Importing complete Sketchup Home model into CA X10

I was wondering if it was possible to somehow import an entire SketchUp full home model into chief and then break it down into a floor plan? I know that I can take plans and pdf trace them, however, I have a full model already done, I'd like to just use as my base. Is this even possible? I have the SketchUp DWG file as well if that helps.

I think your answer will be No this is not advisable.  It would be an interesting exercise to see how far you could get but there are a lot of tools in Chief that are just not designed for this purpose.  Importing the model should not be a problem and creating elevations should work fine but you will run into issues after that.  You could make some pretty Top View Orthographics with the cross section slider but they would just be pictures and dimensions and scale would be a challenge.

Try importing the DWG and trace over it so you can use the program to it's full potential.  You may have to treat the time you spent on the Sketchup model as though you are dealing with a client that just provided you with a great amount of detail on exactly what they want in 3D.

No, it is not. Sketch Up constructs come in like any other symbol. Any editing of the symbol would then need to be done only in Sketch Up before bringing into Chief as a static symbol.

DJP

Thanks guys! I figured as much, just thought I'd ask those who came before me. Cheers!

42 minutes ago, DaveCoyleJr said:

I was wondering if it was possible to somehow import an entire SketchUp full home model into chief and then break it down into a floor plan? I know that I can take plans and pdf trace them, however, I have a full model already done, I'd like to just use as my base. Is this even possible? I have the SketchUp DWG file as well if that helps.

What do you want to use it FOR?

I want to build a plan and model using the sketchup model as a base... Mostly the exterior aesthetics, as that is what my client loves. 

I am not all that versed in sketchup but I can't imagine that CA can't produce at least the quality that you would get from a skp model.

1 minute ago, RL-inc said:

I am not all that versed in sketchup but I can't imagine that CA can't produce at least the quality that you would get from a skp model.

No doubt. I was only seeking an alternative to rebuilding a model if CA somehow read the structure and provided a base from which to build. I have sense started this plan from the dwg  file, which importing feels like hit or miss if you didn't layer the files yourself. 

In my experience using thecdwg as a base to trace over is the best way. Cad to walls has long been a hit and miss proposition 

Like it has already been said; export the dwg and either try the cad to walls or trace over.  I have however sent the full framing model to SketchUp for builders.  They feel it is easier than Chief's viewer and they can pull measurements as well.

for the record Chief's free client viewer can pull measurements

no idea if it is easier or better

Viewer can also do markups and generate renders (and maybe rayraces ???)

Lew

If all you want to do is add some fixtures and produce renders from the model, then you should be able to do that without a problem. You would basically be freestanding everything around the model.

Ctrl(Command) keys are your friends!

You would also need to modify the materials so that they make sense to Chief. Glass, Metals, etc. will import as Matte materials by default.