Does anyone know any good resources or references to help me determine the footings needed to support the live and dead load of a structure? Please forward any suggestions.

Yes I do.   I have attached information below… 

Contact a local engineer.  

• Upvote 2

usually it's the soil report that determines the footing depth, sometimes the city will have their own minimum depth

Just contact the governing building department where you plan to build, they should be able to help you.

• Upvote 1

I think what you are asking is not for how far below grade the footing needs to be but what size do you need to support the foundation and walls above if that is the case do what Michael said and contact a structural engineer because the loads will vary, I am fortunate to have my son as a structural engineer 

You can always check the Building Code for prescriptive dimensions with conventional construction. Of course, that means that you would have to actually read it.

• Upvote 1

I just joined the ICC (https://www.iccsafe.org).

I bought the 2018 IRC (binder & loose leaf) and the online subscription to 2015 IRC for a year.  If you have building questions, these are the folks that manage the International Code books.  Many cities, counties, and states often add supplemental code requirements to address local building conditions.  Like here my footings need to be only 12" below grade.  Some colder places typically include a basement under the house, since the footings have to go so deep anyway.

It's nice having the online access, I strongly recommend checking this option out.

ICC.pdf

You absolutely need to hire an Engineer or an Architect - and maybe a Soils Engineer.  The loads applied by the structure can easily exceed the basic soil bearing capacity.   There are many things that have to be analyzed and there just isn't a simple answer to your question without knowing exactly what the structure is.

• Upvote 1

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ricatic
    Newest Member
    ricatic

• By Ravenquills
      Hi everyone:

I am having an issue with a split level. I am using Chief X11.
      The plan i posted does not have foundations since when i add those things get really weird and I think I need to sort out the issue with the levels first or the foundation will never build right. I have a room that is going to be garage however no matter how i define it the door from that room into the main house is above the level of the ceiling. see attached photo. I have also attached the plan. The exterior walls are a sip wall customized according to the manufactures specifications with a layer for the furred interior walls. The total thickness on those walls is 10 5/8" The interior wall is a customized interior wall that is load bearing for use in certain areas of the design.

6242019 RFH (Shell2).plan

• By mfmclelland
      OK, I designed a plan using Home Designer Pro. I then decided to bite the bullet and get the full CAP program so that I would have more options available. We opened the plan in CAP and most things seemed to be OK. Our lot slopes towards the front so we needed to step the foundation at the garage to lower it and get the house up so there would be less cutting of grade. I tried several ways of stepping the foundation but it always gave me weird problems. So I decided to start over fresh in CAP and see if the issues were coming from the Home Designer Pro Version. Now as I have started I have tried to do things in sequence and not get ahead of myself. The problem occurs where I am trying to step the foundation. It looks fine on the front elevation but when I take a camera shot from inside the garage I get these weird triangle things happening. I am including a set of the plans since right now they are small since I am just starting over. If you take some shots from the interior of  the garage from the back to the front corner by the porch,you'll see what I mean. I have also included an export of that shot. I want to step the foundation where the garage and the storage under the porch intersect. Everything I try gives me issues. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance if you can.

Mark

Olympic Lane Final.plan
    • By Korel_Design
      Hello Everybody,

I've started my first full construction drawing in CA X7 and for the life of me, I can't figure how to resolve a few glitches.

This plan is drawn with the intent to to build on a concrete slab foundation as we commonly do in the south.

I have included screen shots in the post along with the plan backed up in a zip file.

First, there is an additional slab foundation ledge around the Garage area.

On the front porch there are these strange recesses in the concrete porch.

Protruding trough the wall on the front porch are these slab pieces.

On the rear roof slope is a strange slab protruding.

I know these are pretty easy for somebody who is a veteran Chief operator. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am a fast learner and I hope to be doing all of my plans in Chief very soon. In the past all I did was use CA to create models and if I had a glitch like these, I just fixed them in PS.

Thank you for your help. Let me know what I need to do to fix each problem area.

CA X7 Plan needs work on glitches.zip

• By cjanderson66
      I do a lot of remodels and want to be able to distinguish between the old foundation and the new foundation in plan view.  In my old program (ACAD) I would crosshatch the existing T footing or even just leave it alone but on the new footing I would poche it so the contractor would know that it is a new footing.  I am having a hard time trying to figure out a good way to do this.  If I go in and define the wall anything other than concrete is still doesn't show up in plan view but it shows up in the section view which I still want it to be concrete.  Any ideas guys?  Also, I've created a slab on grade with perimeter footings.  How can I create and interior footing below a wall that is part of the slab on grade.  Dumbfounded!
    • By Chief_Content
      For March, we will be featuring the deck capabilities of Chief Architect.

You'll find on the 3D Library access to 4 new catalogs that are loosely deck related:

Carlisle Wide Plank Floors Deck and Path Lighting Post and Pier Systems Wire and Lattice Material Download the catalogs and try them out on your next deck or exterior project.

Also, check out this month's contest, Deck/Patio Design, and submit your own project to show us your chops and a chance to win some Chief Architect loot.