Recommended Posts

Hi All.

Just downloaded x10 Beta.

Easy download and transfer which was great.

However I am noticing a slight delay or response on actuating a camera or elevation.

Thought it might have been the plan but drew a wall then shot a camera....nothing happens then cursor shows its thinking then activates the view.

Also noticed lag between functionsie library drop ins and wall specification mods.

Are there some tweaks or tips to reduce this lag in default settings.

Note there are no lights in plans backdrops etc just vector view settings.

 

Would appreciate if the solution maybe simple settings tweak and I do appreciate the computer I use is not a dedicated graphics machine however I would need to seriously justify upgrading.

 

thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have similar experience on my Spectre (fine on the Sager) I talked with Chief at IBS/KBIS and was told they had issues until they upgraded driver on Intel cards they tested. I tried to update the driver from Windows, then with the Intel update tool. Both were a no go so I downloaded the standalone driver and updated. That was not good at all. While it was faster got some very weird things pixelization in Standard View and PBR was almost black so I had to roll back.

Hoping that they improve for the final release, I expect they are aware of issues. On my end also hoping for a BIOS update on the HP so I can bump the driver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All 3D views ( and possibly DBX's with 3d content like the library)  now use "Ray Casted Sun Shadows"  (RCSS)  and this is causing slowdowns for some as it is using the CPU , (the ray trace engine ) for these new Shadows , you can disable them in the Camera's Settings by unchecking them ,to test .

 

M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

All 3D views ( and possibly DBX's with 3d content like the library)  now use "Ray Casted Sun Shadows"  (RCSS)  and this is causing slowdowns for some as it is using the CPU , (the ray trace engine ) for these new Shadows , you can disable them in the Camera's Settings by unchecking them ,to test .

 

M.

Turning of RCS helps only slightly and a pain to find em all. 

(dunno how I got logged in as other earlier, sleepy I guess)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

All 3D views ( and possibly DBX's with 3d content like the library)  now use "Ray Casted Sun Shadows"  (RCSS)  and this is causing slowdowns for some as it is using the CPU , (the ray trace engine ) for these new Shadows , you can disable them in the Camera's Settings by unchecking them ,to test .

 

M.

 

I find the 3D view issue very painful and concerning.  I only have a couple of files converted to X10 and may just go back and use X9.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find the issue to be the fact that the Standard view camera and the PBR camera share many common settings in the Camera DBX. If I have a PBR camera with all the goodies turned on then they are also active in the Standard view camera. These should be separate so I can have a Standard view camera configured differently than a PBR camera. Currently if I want a fast Standard view I turn off the bloom, reflections, cast shadows and reduce the ambient occlusion, but when I switch to a PBR I have to go back into the camera DBX and turn these things back on, then when I switch back to the Standard camera I have to go back and turn them off. Very time consuming. Each type of camera should be completely independent from any other camera.

 

If I'm incorrect in this observation please let me know. If however this is correct, then it raises the question as to how something so obvious was overlooked and not immediately addressed. It's not like some obscure bug that only raises it's ugly head under some rare circumstance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

If I'm incorrect in this observation please let me know. If however this is correct, then it raises the question as to how something so obvious was overlooked and not immediately addressed. It's not like some obscure bug that only raises it's ugly head under some rare circumstance.

Yeah that is a pain. 

In fairness I've pulled a string somewhere in a design that created havoc elsewhere that I didn't notice at first. While I'm sure that programming is easier (judging from all the folks working with Ruby ;) then again this is BETA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slower for me as well, and I have a pretty high end custom built machine with latest video drivers, so I don't think the blame can be put on the hardware.  Enough of a productivity hit that I went back to X9 until this is sped up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got updates from HP for the Spectre, included a BIOS and newer Video driver. Still sluggish opening and new views, a bit better with new views. Get the same pixelization in Standard View unitl I checked edge smoothing when idle and turned off bloom. PBR is unusable now though. 

I'm guessing that the updates likely included the Intel fix for the CPU that is running around. I'd prevented Windows from updating till that gets fixed but wanted to see how the video driver acted. I won't be allowing the update on the Sager until they have that straightened out. Note I just saw that the biggest hit on the new Intel update is on single core performance. That may be complicating what is going on with 10,

 

 

Will likely be only using 10 on the Sager where it is fine, maybe a tad slower. And stick to 9 on here. Have one drafting client that I was going to encourage to go to 10 but will wait until all is better (thankfully all the work is currently in 9, had just started setting up templates for them in 10)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too have noticed a slowdown,  hence the interest in a new computer.  I need to find out if the newer computers are fast enough to warrant the cost.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love conspiracy theories. Maybe the slow down in X10 is due to CA running a hidden Bitcoin mining algorithm on our systems. That's why the new PBR camera is primarily GPU based.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

I love conspiracy theories. Maybe the slow down in X10 is due to CA running a hidden Bitcoin mining algorithm on our systems. That's why the new PBR camera is primarily GPU based.

 

It's either a hidden Bitcoin mining algorithm on our systems or it's Trump's fault.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dshall said:

 

It's either a hidden Bitcoin mining algorithm on our systems or it's Trump's fault.

 

I'll check out CNN, for sure it will be Trumps fault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

I find the issue to be the fact that the Standard view camera and the PBR camera share many common settings in the Camera DBX. If I have a PBR camera with all the goodies turned on then they are also active in the Standard view camera. These should be separate so I can have a Standard view camera configured differently than a PBR camera. Currently if I want a fast Standard view I turn off the bloom, reflections, cast shadows and reduce the ambient occlusion, but when I switch to a PBR I have to go back into the camera DBX and turn these things back on, then when I switch back to the Standard camera I have to go back and turn them off. Very time consuming. Each type of camera should be completely independent from any other camera.

 

If I'm incorrect in this observation please let me know. If however this is correct, then it raises the question as to how something so obvious was overlooked and not immediately addressed. It's not like some obscure bug that only raises it's ugly head under some rare circumstance.

 

I have my cameras set just like yours and have the same experience with PBR<>Standard view Defaults --- one turns on the other....

 

For me with RCSS on my CPU fan boosts up and down with the 3D view movement , so it was immediately noticeable to me early in trying Beta 3 , and since the noise is a pain in the A** , i have them turned off for normal working/drawing .....I can turn them back on if I need a Pic for a Client or something, I really don't need all the "Eye Candy" when I am working on a Drawing.

 

M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was running slow too, decided it was time to upgrade my 5 year old computer.  I have 2 graphics cards in this

new computer and at first CA x10 was defaulting to the weaker graphics card. I was getting slow response and 

the little blue turning wheel....and very pixelated views.   I pointed CA to the dedicated

graphics card and voila'.  Works great.  Hope that will help someone. 

 

And so true about CNN and Trump. I watch both CNN and Fox and decide the truth may "lie" somewhere

in between. lol

 

Susan Nowland
NowlandDesign.com

Chief Architect x5-x10
Windows 10 Home 64
7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 processor
2.8 up to 3.8GHz: Quad core
16 GB memory; 2 TB HDD storage;
16 GB secondary harddrive 
AMD Radeon™ 530 Graphics (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
27" diagonal Full HD touch display

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    27475
    Total Members
    6254
    Most Online
    slickrick1530
    Newest Member
    slickrick1530
    Joined