Siteplan/plotplan

agr361

Is there a "correct way" to create siteplans? CA website says on one video to create a cadblock drawing with lines and reference the house plan file...

Another video says use the terrain model and use "show label" to label the terrain, all within the same file..

What do you all do to create a site/plot plan?

1 hour ago, agr361 said:
Is there a "correct way" to create siteplans? CA website says on one video to create a cadblock drawing with lines and reference the house plan file...

Another video says use the terrain model and use "show label" to label the terrain, all within the same file..

What do you all do to create a site/plot plan?

"More than one way to skin a cat."

Personally I create the terrain model and show label on a layer names Plot Plan.(remember to show angles and length and switch General CAD defaults to correct bearing style)

Then I use a custom built reference set called Plot Plan Ref Set to show my roofs and a CAD house perimeter dashed line. 

• Upvote 1

Personally, I like the plot plan as a separate CAD detail with the Plan footprint. It's easy to bring in a DWG survey, then move and rotate the footprint on the lot with correct dimensions and site rotation using true north, and separate CAD style for bearings. If you do the plot plan in the main plan window, you won't get automatic labeling of boundaries that show correct angles without jumping through a few hoops with north rotation. Drawing the lot boundaries and converting to a terrain perimeter often doesn't work well if fences aren't within the site boundaries, for example.

31 minutes ago, Richard_Morrison said:

Personally, I like the plot plan as a separate CAD detail with the Plan footprint. It's easy to bring in a DWG survey, then move and rotate the footprint on the lot with correct dimensions and site rotation using true north, and separate CAD style for bearings. If you do the plot plan in the main plan window, you won't get automatic labeling of boundaries that show correct angles without jumping through a few hoops with north rotation. Drawing the lot boundaries and converting to a terrain perimeter often doesn't work well if fences aren't within the site boundaries, for example.

I found this out with driveway aprons and sidewalks. They do not show up on full overview cameras...

I have a simple basic method I use where the terrain and all items in that terrain work, as well as the property lines, house, and so on - all show up correct and easy to read @ 1/8" scale. 

It can be found at my site:  www.chieftutor.com   in the   LAYOUT section.

It is a short 10-minute video of   "SO THAT'S HOW YOU DO IT...!!!"  

-Dave

• Upvote 1

I keep all my site plan and everything live. I use a separate layer set, anno set and reference set for everything sent to the layout to show anything I want with different line-weights colors etc. Then if any change are made, its automatic, you only have to change it once and done.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I was just flipping threw some old topics and saw this. I'me going to rethink my process. I've been doing plots as a cad detail since 1997 in Vectorworks and then Chief as a detail starting in 2012 with the Input Method. I've recently started used Alaskansons macros for automatic FAR calculations. But the local towns are starting to get a little nuts. They want fences shown and legalized, amount of paving and impervious areas shown, sidewalks, etc... I'm going to look at this again and start doing them live.

One downside, I don't like the north arrow not being up. That annoys me. So now I'll have to fiddle with the draw arrow north.I think this will be the way to go and get some macros involved that will automatically calculated impervious and pervious. Yesterday I had to buy a $400 rotary laser with laser receiver so I could measure the height of the roof ridge from the crown of the street. Another tool for the arsenal. 

18 hours ago, CARMELHILL said:

Yesterday I had to buy a $400 rotary laser with laser receiver so I could measure the height of the roof ridge from the crown of the street. Another tool for the arsenal. 

I use a digital level and it gives me the exact roof pitch, I put it on the underside of a rafter for the reading but  if you have a lot of soffits where your from then it get a little tougher , Sometimes I will use the fascia to get the pitch. 

19 hours ago, CARMELHILL said:

Yesterday I had to buy a $400 rotary laser with laser receiver so I could measure the height of the roof ridge from the crown of the street. Another tool for the arsenal. 

I'm wondering how you used it for doing that , I have one but usually do it like Perry , you can even use a Smart Phone and Level App these days....

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Thanks for that, I didn't know, check it out.

At 1st I didn't trust it, so double checked it with other tools like a Digital Angle Finder I have and use in the Shop , but found it is pretty accurate as long as you calibrate it on a known level surface first.

On 12/10/2017 at 4:24 PM, RL-inc said:

Handyman calculator is another great free app.

Same features as above and much more. 

Rise run

Concrete calc

Siding calc

Etc....

Actually I have that too and a separate feet- inch calculator too, as Handyman is almost has toooo much  stuff built in and too many menus..... so I find it easier/faster to access standalone apps...

M.

I have a digital angle finder but don't care for it. I wore out my last laser level. It was time for an update. And this thing is accurate to 3/16" to 550 feet. I used it this week to take spot elevations to do a small topographic map for a handicapped ramp from a condo club house. 

I switched to live plot plans this week. One thing I never realized is that it's easy in Cad Details to set up seperate Cad Properties so the lot boundaries read as decimal feet without affecting the foot inch read outs I have in my floor plan views. It doesn't seem possible to have that in live view unless you chnage the settings each time u need it. It's annoying, and I can't stand to have my plot boundarys as foot, inches, and fractions.

I figured I would post this real quick when talking about calculators. Maybe a little redundant.

There is the Handyman Calculator, Construction Master calculator from Calculated Industries Calculator (they have an android version too so you can use it on your Tablet, phone, and now on the newer Chromebooks that use apps), a cheap Construction Master no frills clone version from Craftsman, and there is also a length calculator built into the Windows calculator (I found it by accident a few years ago and always forget it's there). See attached pics.

I'm sure there is a whole bunch of others on Iphone and Android.

20171214_110037.jpg

WINDOWS CALCULATOR.JPG

HANDYMAN CALCULATOR.JPG

construction master pro.JPG