Anyone recently purchased a dell system?

Charles

Thanks guys, the reason for asking is because I, somewhat recently, (1 1/2 years ago) drank the "microsoft coolaid" and purchased a surface book (expensive $2,500) which during the keynote address was touted a laptop geared toward designers.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLwhZwbKYj4 

Unfortunately, two warranty laptops later and seriously under powered, I have decided that I need a desktop.   Yes I have searched all the forum discussions about the ideal system and have decided on a dell, which in the past, has proven as a stable and reliable system.

This is what I have decided on:

Alienware Aurora R6

7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700 Processor (4-Cores, 8MB Cache, Turbo Boost 2.0, up to 4.2GHz)

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X

16GB DDR4 at 2400MHz; up to 64GB (additional memory sold separately)

256GB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)

Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Charles

Not sure what options you have but as Larry has experienced the GTX 1080 is a nice luxury but a bit of overkill for Chief's current requirements.  If the 1070 is an option that would allow you to get a larger SSD.  Otherwise great choice.

I second the suggestion on a larger PCIe SSD as Chief does a lot of file I/O in the background and 256GB doesn't go far (only 238GB in real GB terms) .   A drop on the graphics card to even a GTX 1080 should allow that and its also quicker to upgrade a graphics card than the boot drive.  The general system performance increase of PCIe SSD even compared to SATA SSD is significant.

The I7-7700 is a good processor but if you are not in a big rush I would wait a few months as Intel is releasing a number of new processors this fall that will offer significantly better performance and more core options. More cores would be "highly" beneficial if you Ray Trace. Dell adopts these new chips quickly so you would not have to wait long before they are offered in their Alienware line up. Concerning the boot PCLe SSD Chief in it's normal operation does not use much space other than saving undo/redo data, speed is the most important factor here and the PCLe drive is as good as it gets. However, the cost differential between a 256 and 512 is not significant so I would likely go with the 512 for future proofing.

"Mahalo" to everyone for your input.    I know there is a lot of info about this in chieftalk, but with the incredible advances in tech, things change so rapidly and I just cannot keep up.   Everyone's input is valuable!!!