New wall type material not showing

Dennis_Gavin

I have had this problem for a while and am finally posting about it.

I open an existing wall type, make a copy, change the outer material

and change the name but the existing wall material remains. See attached

where the new material I selected is stone but siding still shows in the panel

as well as the wall when drawn.  What's up with that?  I have to spray the wall

for the change to occur.  Trying to not have to make a wall from scratch.

wall type.JPG

I only experience this kind of problem with X8 files that I converted to X9. With these files, when I select a wall, make a copy, and start editing, the original selected wall remains illustrated in the preview box, regardless of what changes I make in the Wall Layers fields:

wall.thumb.PNG.bf497b14522a70be3e4507fd87c0ff04.PNG

I don't have this problem when starting a brand new file in X9.

That eye dropper has gotten me in more trouble on walls. It totally screws up the changing of any walls later by just modifying the defaults for that wall type. I struggled with it for a long time in a template plan until I figured out how it worked (at least for my workflow). Change the wall material definition in the wall dialog box, not with the eyedropper. My 2 cents.

I do a lot of fixes to other users plans so I have a database of plans to draw from.  This is caused by using the eyedropper and spray tools to change the exterior wall material instead of using the wall type and definitions.  I'm not even sure why it is an allowed function when it causes so many problems.  Rule of thumb - if you use the material dropper on an exterior wall it becomes the only way to change it after that point.  The odd part is that the behavior is random.

8 hours ago, javatom said:

Rule of thumb - if you use the material dropper on an exterior wall it becomes the only way to change it after that point. 

I don't think this is correct.

You can always change the material back to Use Default and then you can change the material in the Wall Definition dbx if needed (or repaint it if you want).

• Upvote 2