CA File Version Save Method Management

SNestor

I watched a Chief video this morning about their recommended method to save "versions" of a plan...it was interesting.  I was wondering if those of you who use the software regularly use this method....or not. 

My method has been to just save a file with a version designation...but, I do like the tracking ability of the CA recommended method.  

What do you all think?

Here is the video...https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/1951/file-management-sharing-collaborating.html?playlist=81

Since no one replied I gather this "recommended" method is not used by many.  

To summarize...when you have completed say a "revision" of the plan, CA recommends that you choose the file/backup entire plan.  Save this file to a new "folder" within the project folder and name the folder with a version system...to indicate the day the changes were made.  

It's a nice system...I think.  I may give it a try on a project to see if it works for me.  

Steve:

I always do my own save as - I don't rely on Chief's archival system

I name my Master plan and layout as 123_Main.plan and 123_Main.layout

this keeps them linked at all times

each time I do a save as I do it twice - first time as 123_Main_Model_170305_1315_LBX9.plan

and again as 123_Main.plan - its very fast doing a double save as

for plans besides Model - I also use Remod or Alt01 Alt02 etc

for layouts I use 123_ Main_Layps or Laycp - where ps = permit set and cp = client presentation

the LB is my initials - my partner would use JK

that way I know who last worked on the plan/layout

X9 is the Chief version - I have been advocating that CA add this to the extension - such as .planX9

170305_1315 is the date/time in military time

this way everything stays in one folder for 123_Main

within that folder I have sub-folders for Master where .plan and .layout go

and source where I store pics that I or the client might want to see or the survey etc etc

Deliverables for anything I send to the client

Views for renders and rays that I shoot for my own needs and maybe to send to the client

Lew

I use "PDF" to save old versions of a plan, only sometimes will I copy and save as with a new design using the plan file, that is if I think the client might need to go back. eather way I have a record of all the changes made.

I have been saving files as you guys have described...but, I do think one of the plusses of the CA system is that any new materials created or used get saved with the file.  You don't have to wonder what happened to the roofing you used...or that special brick, siding or flooring.    

I do save as occasionally, but honestly I hit save and move on. Last thing I need is a hundred different versions of plans to keep track of. If a client wants me to change something, they best be sure because I'm going to charge them $80/hr to change it back if they change their mind.

• Upvote 1

I generally just do a "save-as" with a different name, not long of a mane though in the same job folder. When the final plan is approved, I delete all of the obsolete files in that folder. They can change it all they want as long as I get paid. I need a retainer fee and when that time is up I bill as I go after around 10 hrs. of plan time. That's the only way I work. I certainly don't make separate folder for each revision and do an entire back-up of the plan.

2 hours ago, joey_martin said:

I do save as occasionally, but honestly I hit save and move on. Last thing I need is a hundred different versions of plans to keep track of. If a client wants me to change something, they best be sure because I'm going to charge them $80/hr to change it back if they change their mind.

Yep...I'm with you. 

I backup layout and plan files together on Dropbox by using Chief Architect's method in their Help File (see attached). I use a file folder for each client and subfolders for each backup. I just number the backup folders 1, 2, 3 ... etc., like Smith 1, Smith 2, ... That way my plan and layout file names never change and remain in the same folder (no re-linking). If I have to go back to a previous plan for any reason, I can use the folders dates or numbers. 

As I progress with a plan, I might delete every other older backup folder from time to time to save space.

This has saved me more than once. Usually because I hit the undo too many times and deleted something that I was not aware of until later. But, I have had clients change something then ask me to change it back. If I can isolate those items or that area and copy/paste in place, I am way ahead.

Backing up plan & layout files X9.pdf

Note:  Always backup the layout (not plan) file. That will ensure that all files (including the plan file) is backed up in the same folder. CA acts like the plan
file is associated with the layout file but not visa versa.

22 hours ago, SNestor said:

I have been saving files as you guys have described...but, I do think one of the plusses of the CA system is that any new materials created or used get saved with the file.  You don't have to wonder what happened to the roofing you used...or that special brick, siding or flooring.    

You really should keep any special textures in the X9 Data file in the textures file, that way you always know where they are, like macro's in the scripts file, toolbar file, image file, etc.. I wonder how many people actually use those files for storage. They now get brought forward automatically with every upgrade, I use to do it manually every time.