Turning off line that represents garage door as open

capitaldesigns

This is one that I've requested also.  A Garage Door is not always a standard overhead - sometimes it's a roll-up.

One way to deal with this is to use a "Hinged Door" and "Show Closed".  The OIP Fields in X9 along with modifying the Label can make this work fairly well.

• Upvote 1

The client is converting a garage into living space. They want to keep the garage door and build a parallel wall just inside of the garage door wall.

The dashed line of the garage door come way inside of the new living area. I would like to have the ability to turn off the dashed line, but from what

I am hearing is that CA does not give us that option. That's the nice thing about having everything on its own layer.

Thanks,

Mike 

4 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

It will not appear in the Schedule.

Good catch, but I think it will work since:

It is an existing door ( I doubt that he needs an existing door in the schedule. And if he does place it some place else offscreen).

My suggestion  turning door off, and door header on

What I did is put the garage door on it's own layer and then turned that layer off.

This way the other doors will not be turned off when I turn off the garage door.

You know what would be great for us newer users is if a long term CA user  with

a lot of experience put together a training video incorporating all of these work around

solutions.

I think the project should be an addition project since it would include both existing

and new. The project should go over all phase of the plans. It should include site plan,

floor plans, elevations, foundation plan, framing plans, section, structural details,

electrical plans and schedules.

This project should include as many work around solutions as possible, such as

my question with the garage door. Other problems such as the best way to draw

a new slab foundation to the existing slab foundation and how to have the new

footings show a concrete hatch pattern and the existing footing not showing such

pattern. In the footing specifications it shows the footing has a conc, hatch pattern,

put in the plans it does not show up. Why ? I called tech. support and they offered

no solution to this.

How about the best way to show a new window that spans across a new wall and

existing wall. And there in many more areas in CA that needs a work around solution

to accomplish a part of the plans. When a new user comes across such an area in CA

they are not sure what to do. Where do you go in the user guide or reference manual

do you go to find out how to turn off the dashed line that is a part of the garage door ?

You can spend a lot of time reading through the manual and finding nothing to solve

your problem.

I know CA has a video on the window issue, I was just giving that as an example. But

there are areas they do not have a video on how to work around these issues that seem

to come up all of the time.

In conclusion it would be great if there was a video of a small addition project that required

many of these work around solutions, so us newer users would have a good reference video

to go over and over again. A video that would show us when we needed to use a work around

or where to go to change something that we need to change such as the dashed line at the

garage door.

Thanks,

Mike