Lintel in Chief is a Misnomer

Joe_Carrick

The Door and Window Dialogs in Chief have a "Lintel" panel.  This is not the correct name - it should be called "Architrave".

• A Lintel is a Structural Beam above an opening - may also be called a "Header" in wood frame construction.
  • An Architrave is the Decorative Cap - originally at the top of a Column but the term has been extended to cover openings as well.
  • Upvote 1

FWIW,  I went back and looked at my Graphic Standards and Time-Saver Standards.  I did not find any instance of the term "Head Casing".  Apparently, this is terminology is akin to the word "ain't" - a construct by those who didn't know the correct name that has become common even though it's inaccurate.  It would be really interesting to know at what point in time it first appeared.

Joe,

I heard the term "Head Casing" in the early seventies.

I am also a contractor so I might have heard the term in the field.

Below are two more website references and photos from four books I have that uses the term.

Two are from Graphic Standards.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=52358&sid=fe14d9c4aec9661c1b79c2ed59155505

head casing.PNG

20161223_151754.jpg

20161223_151805_005.jpg

20161223_151850_007.jpg

20161223_151911.jpg

20161223_151955.jpg

20161223_152033.jpg

18 hours ago, Kenoeightspot said:

Joe,

I heard the term "Head Casing" in the early seventies.

I am also a contractor so I might have heard the term in the field.

Below are two more website references and photos from four books I have that uses the term.

Two are from Graphic Standards.

You had to say early seventies to date me.  Head casing, and Cross head was how I learned to term it from the old timers training me then.  If I mitered it was head casing, if I returned the trim on itself it was a cross head.  I too have been bothered by the term lentil to substitute the above, because I perceive it to be structural not decorative.

I have been quasi-colloquial in how I describe items in plan, for example, when I point to a furr-down I spell it 'fir-down'; because one, locally we pretty much use just doug-fir to frame with.  Second I lose a letter and therefore shortens the text field.  I have since seen it spelled back to me in the same fashion.  

I suppose it is these types of simplifies that become part of the local dialect.  Hence, head casing or casing head becomes lintel.