Extending Deck Stairs

SchnieppDesign

a workaround for that one corner ,if you only need it for a few views ? , you can pull the side of the stairs thru the wall in plan view , it may appear on the inside too? though is probably buried in the foundation depending on design, but looks right in a 3d view . It doesn't work so well if you need multiple angles stairs though as the don't "recognise " each other and join up. And of course plan view doesn't look right either....

edit: I had done this in the past but just had a quick play , and with a closed stair and railings turned off it works fine.... nothing on the inside ,so the gotcha is what plan view looks like.

post-315-0-93688800-1401391225_thumb.png

M.

I would like to extend my deck stairs to snug up against the side of the house, as shown in the red lines.  Any ideas about how I can do this?

Thanks, John

attachicon.gifDeck Stairs.JPG

This is such a stupid question,  it should not even be asked,  but can I do it?  No,  but I know it can be done.....  I think I know it can be done......  ran into this just yesterday......  I thought if you opened stair dvx and CHECKED WINDERS, it would work,  but it didn't.......  what am I doing wrong?.....  I bet the Great  Glenn Woodward knows how to do it.......  will somebody please get him out of bed to answer this question?

Thanks Schniepp for asking the question....  Schniepp?  What kind of name is that?  You must be from some foreign country.

draw invisible wall(s) to the sides - check winders in the dbx - make sure 'max tread contraction' under 'style' is at least long enough to extend the sides the distance you re are seeking 

draw invisible wall(s) to the sides - check winders in the dbx - make sure 'max tread contraction' under 'style' is at least long enough to extend the sides the distance you re are seeking 

This is silly,  I don't need invisible walls,   I have the side of the building.  I changed the max contraction to 6',  should be plenty. Still does not work.  What am I missing?  Maybe somebody can post a small plan showing that it can work.

post-50-0-13649100-1401394765_thumb.png

figured this wasn't a new problem so did a search on the old forum and Scott you have videos , still watching them but yes you used invisible walls for inverted wraps , and you used Click stairs which I think enables the outside corner wrap as it doesn't work with "normal" straight stairs using ALT key to go down.

M.

http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread.php?63193-Wrap-around-stair-videos-by-dsh&highlight=wrap+stairs

Darn, I slept through it all!

As far as I know, you need to enclose the stairs in room (usually with invisible walls), with Winders checked.

As far as I know, the Allow Wrap setting isn't needed.

Played around some more in a new plan with rect. building and it would seem CLICK STAIRS  only "recognise" DECKS, they would not wrap the house corners ,at least for me..... haven't tried enclosing the stairs off the house with invisible walls yet.....

before placing the stairs , in the Deck Railing wall DBX if you set NO Railing and set the railing height to 0", and the baluster and newel width to 0" , I don't get the weird residual Posts where the initial "doorway" is cut thru the railing by the click stairs left behind ......probably a better way ? ....yes ...see edit below

post-315-0-42637000-1401411192_thumb.png

Edit:  If you know you are going to wrap the stairs use the straight deck EDGE tool , not the Straight deck RAILING tool , then there are no weird posts when you place the Stairs.  

I thought he needed to wrap the steps around, I guess not.

Perry,

If you have a look at the first post, the problem is extending the stairs into the angled wall, no wrapping or joining stairs.

That could have changed though. :)

Wow, I started an interesting conversation.  After experimenting, Glenn had it right.  You have to enclose the stairs in a room. You have to make the walls invisible, open below, no ceiling or roof, and have winders on.  If you check No Room Definition, it doesn't work.

Seems like a lot of trouble.

John  (Scott - It is a German name.  My grandfather arrived from the old country around 1870.)

post-79-0-87722300-1401463733_thumb.jpgpost-79-0-17474300-1401463782_thumb.jpg