Learning Chief Architect

boydy81

I also have no problems recommending it for Australia use , i f you find your self struggling to learn it I some times help with screen sharing to help with the learning curve witch I would guess is easier than other software program's

The basic-basic to learning any subject is fully understanding the nomenclature of what you are studying, any term or symbol you come across while studying that is not understood exactly as the author intended will deny you the ability to fully understand what was intended to be conveyed by that author.

Look up the word and find THE deffinition that applys to what you are studying and make sure you fully understand that definition, often times an understanding of the words etymology (where, when and how it came into use in English) is also useful for a better, fuller understanding of that word or symbol.

If after study you cannot get the effect you want, there is probably a word or symbol in what you studied that you do not fully understand and THAT is why you cannot get the intended results. Very basic and very vital datum. Go back, find it and get it understood.

The same thing applies to watching video tutorials (if you can't then do what it showed, you misunderstood something in or said or shown in the video, go back and watch it again and be on the lookout for what you missed understanding).

Another important datum relative to study is to follow your interests first and then break the rest down into small steps (do not try to read the Reference Manual as you would a novel or short story). Read-Study a particular tool and then practice using that tool as studied. Successful Study followed by successful practice (demonstrating to self your own competence) will always equate to usable knowledge and competence.

DJP

All the above comments are relevant.  Also, what do you mainly want to produce or achieve with the software?  My advice is to practice with a simple example of what you want to achieve.  Eg, if you want to produce 3D views of a building as a design tool, and then go onto produce drawing sets for DA/CC and/or construction documents (that's what I use it for), start with a very simple example of a building (eg, a rectangular plan with a few windows one external door, and a simple roof).  Write down a list of the finishes you want it to have (corrugated metal roof, weatherboard cladding, timber windows, slab on ground, etc), then work towards getting that "model" as good as you can, then try to produce a layout set of working drawings, using forums and on-line help suggested above when you get to a problem. the key is to make the intitial project SIMPLE.  I'm saying this from experience.........no Taj Mahals for your first model.  Good luck with it.  

Cheers

Ross

• 4 years later...

I learn by doing

try modeling your house or the house of a family or friend

a house that you have easy access to

when that project is done you will be decently proficient with the software

but there is always more to learn - you will NEVER be done learning

watch the videos - all of them - then watch them again (and again)

over time you will notice "tips etc" that you didn't before

Lew