Roof plane Is lower than the ceiling height

eyeshade

I have a problem that has recently occurred so I must have changed a setting without knowing it.

I created 4 exterior walls and assigned the ceiling a height (10')

When I manually build 2 roof planes and combine them to make a gable roof, the resulting roof is ALWAYS a couple feet lower in height than the room's ceiling.

It must be a default setting but I'm baffled.  

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

post-12732-0-89628700-1468278623_thumb.jpg

Is this a work around?  I don't understand why it wouldn't automatically build to the ceiling height?  Thank you for your response

Is there a reason you're manually drawing the roof planes instead of letting the program auto generate it? 

When manually drawing the roof plane, is your starting point the exterior of the wall? If it is, there should be no reason why it's generating the planes lower like in your attachment. 

WITHOUT SEEING THE PLAN, it looks like the higher walls are just gable end walls that are going higher b/c the roof isn't stopping the walls. A wall will seek a roof plane to stop it from going higher. Try to finish the roof that you want.

Davidjames - autobuild does work, but manual does not.  I do start with the outside wall.

Jon - In my simple drawing, the default ceiling height in the floor was set to 8'.  When I changed it, the build worked correctly.  

My problem is that the house will have different roof heights.  A family/ great room with 12', the rest is 10', and a couple of storage areas that will drop to 8'

Drawzilla, I want the walls to be higher-- that is the problem, the roof was going to low.  

I thought that if I change the ceiling height in each room that would be sufficient, however that does not seem to be the case.    Another way I found was to choose the open/transform box and change the z factor, but it seems like some setting is overriding my work.

First up, try and use auto roofs.

Set all your floor/room ceiling defaults to 10'.

Build Roof...Make Roof Baselines Polylines.

You can now change your room ceiling heights to whatever you want.

The roof heights will no longer be controlled by the ceiling height - because they are now controlled by the Roof Baseline Polyline.

If your plan will have different roof heights - and I am assuming that means ceiling heights as well, just build the model and assign the correct ceiling heights by room as needed.  Assuming you've assigned wall types (e.g., gable walls) appropriately, you should be able to just build the roof for your model automatically.  Depending on the model's complexity, you may have to do a minimal amount of editing after taking some 3D camera views and examining the results.  Sometimes after doing this procedure I will spot a roof plane or two that just don't look good so I will go in and edit the shape as needed to get rid of the roof anomalies.  I don't like to put something on paper that will drive the roof framers and/or the truss manufacturer crazy because of what I did with the roof.

Below are a couple of 3D views of a simple 3-room model with all three rooms with different ceiling heights.  I designated two of the exterior walls to be gable walls and then let Chief build the roof automatically.  Note there's a triangular wall area that Chief didn't fill in that needs some editing.  Also, I do not like the way part of the roof turned out so this is something I would try to fix by editing the shape/dimensions of the plan to clean up the roof appearance and make the build easier.

post-191-0-39537700-1468333845_thumb.jpg          post-191-0-89189300-1468333879_thumb.jpg         post-191-0-27027700-1468334166_thumb.jpg